VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Beer-phile
    Search Comp PM
    I need a portable video screen for testing digital set top boxes, consoles, and PCs when a customer does not have a tv/monitor/screen ready to use. This screen must have an HDMI input. I must be small (7" screen or less). Essentially, it would work like a very tiny plug-n-play TV. The fewer hassles, the better.

I have seen many "portable TVs" on Amazon, a few "portable monitors" (no audio, so not perfect but passable), and even some very cheap, 3.5" Raspberry Pi touch screens that were very intriguing because of how small they are and the durable case they came in. I have no experience with Raspberry Pi though and perhaps it is overkill for my needs. I am even willing to entertain mini projectors, but so far, they all seem too expensive for my needs. I want to keep this under $100; the cheaper the better though.

Can anyone give any advice on this? Perhaps someone knows of a good product they used for similar reasons? Any help is appreciated.

EDIT:
    I should also add that I have new and old tablets as well has numerous android smart phones over the years that could be used perfect for this if only I could figure out how to make them function as TV screens. Can this be done with tablet or phones?
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; 3rd Aug 2021 at 02:41.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What about the small screens for in-car viewing? Do they still make them or is it just assumed that everyone will have a smart phone or a tablet?
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote  
  3. Checkout Techmoan's video on the subject
    youtube link
    https://youtu.be/NVdID9nbwU8
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Look at some "Field Monitor" options. Was able to get a couple 7" with hdmi in for ~$120/each a couple of years ago. The cheap ones (expensive ones are 500-800) are not that durable though.

<EDIT>Something like this?: https://www.amazon.com/Lilliput-Full-Monitor-Camera-Assist</EDIT>

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 3rd Aug 2021 at 18:27.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Alternatively you can use portable beamer. Some of them are very small and use LED as light source.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Viltrox HD-90. It’s 8.9”. I use it for a second computer monitor but it easily doubles as a portable.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Beer-phile
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I am going to give an inexpensive ($30) HDMI to USB-C video capture device (paired with my tablet) a shot first. If this setup works, it would be ideal because I need the tablet for work too (kill 2 birds with one stone). I've heard they can be a bit laggy, but I only need a screen for device setups, not long term viewing.

Does anyone here have experience with a video capture device like I described? They all seemed generic/rebranded/MiC at my price range, but had some decent reviews.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; 4th Aug 2021 at 19:17.
    Quote Quote