VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Anyone got some insights on a good portable projector? I'm thinking about getting one for presentations and found that they had "pico" projectors but I'm not sure about how good the image quality can be when it's that small. Any help would be appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The main thing I would check is the brightness level. I suspect those low power projectors output will only be visible in a very dark room.

But others may have used them and may have better info.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    The main thing I would check is the brightness level. I suspect those low power projectors output will only be visible in a very dark room.

But others may have used them and may have better info.

And welcome to our forums.
    Thanks and Hi!

I did a search for the best "pico projectors" and a company called AAXA keeps coming up and their products have pretty good reviews. I found their new model on Amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/ST200-Short-Projector-Multimedia-player/dp/B00W1PKXQ8 )

There's even a video review ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9gJFR7Zjh0 )

Looks decent even with light in the room. Do you think this would work for doing presentations? Or should I look for brighter.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Does anyone have experience using a projector for presentations? Anyone??
    Quote Quote  
  5. You notice that on the projector link provided, that the lumens are only 150. The non portables have 20 times more light. I have seen events with the non portables and some of those have been too dim for my eyes. So I suspect it would be too dim. Also battery lasts only 1 hour so if your presentation is longer bring more batteries and stop everything to insert new battery. No reviews on Amazon yet on that model either. If your audience is older then get brightest projector that you can afford.
    Last edited by TreeTops; 27th Aug 2015 at 16:02.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    You notice that on the projector link provided, that the lumens are only 150. The non portables have 20 times more light. I have seen events with the non portables and some of those have been too dim for my eyes. So I suspect it would be too dim. Also battery lasts only 1 hour so if your presentation is longer bring more batteries and stop everything to insert new battery. No reviews on Amazon yet on that model either. If your audience is older then get brightest projector that you can afford.
    Hmmm Can you suggest what level of lumens is appropriate? Most of my meetings are for a small group between 4-6 people in a conference room. As for the length of a presentation I haven't ran longer than an hour the majority of the time. No reviews makes me a bit nervous but the reviews on their other products is good.
    Quote Quote  
  7. 4-6 people...then you are probably OK with the one you picked. I would ask if it can be returned if not suitable.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Cool thanks for the help! I actually found a couple more that I'm going to look deeper into before I make a purchase.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How far will the people be sitting from the screen and what diagonal size do you hope to achieve? Can you control all the lighting in the meeting room? If this is an environment with exterior windows and slat blinds you will likely have a lot of light hitting the screen.

I have the AAXA M4 (about 8" by 5" by 3") so it's not a pico model but it is an 800 lumen pj that operates at 400 lumen on the 90 minute internal battery.

http://aaxatech.com/products/m4_mobile_led_projector.html

I use it for TV and movies in eco mode at about 92" diagonal. I can easily watch it with some filtered light not directed at the screen. There is a dropoff between AC and battery mode. The image looks duller (less pop and color saturation) but very watchable. If you plan on an image under 50" diagonal and use a higher brightness mode than the eco I use then 400 vs 150 isn't that much different as long as you can control the light hitting directly on the screen. Size and external/ambient light are probably the most important.

btw) If there is one thing I absolutely detest about this projector it's the tiny credit card (bubble button) remote. It is near impossible to hold it in one hand and push any of the buttons with accuracy. I had to reprogram the functions to a Phillips learning remote to stop from getting frustrated every time I used it. It's the one cheap thing they should seriously consider changing. The other things is that nearly every menu action requires multiple pushes so they should add many more presets on a larger remote with real buttons. I programmed some macros on the Phillips remote for some of the longer actions but those are really not true shortcuts they just repeat the key sequences to save manual pushes. Aside from that AAXA has a winner in my book. I don't know if their other projectors use the same remote as the one that came with mine.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Most of the time the meeting rooms I present in aren't that big and occasionally there will be some rooms with blinds. I don't think enough light can leak through them to cause any problems...but then again I've never used a projector so I can't really say for sure. The M4 isn't that much bigger but any bulk I can keep from adding to my purse is preferred lol. A projector like the M4 is something I would definitely look into if I find myself liking the use or perhaps for home if I like it enough.

Thanks for advise!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    4-6 people...then you are probably OK with the one you picked. I would ask if it can be returned if not suitable.
    After much reading and comparing specs and different models I bit the bullet and placed an order for the ST200 since you like yours and my friend has one of AAXA's projector as well. I'll post a review for it when it arrives and perhaps I can get your opinions on it.
    Quote Quote