VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am using AviUtl now. I have had access to Adobe premiere in the past. AviUtl does do what I need but it is clumsy and has limited audio ability. Humble Bundle has the Movavi editor from Steam and some add-ons for $20. HB also has Sony Vegas sometimes.
    Is Movavi any good? Is Vegas better and I should watch for that one? Do they do any better than AviUtl?
    Is there any reason to pay $5 extra to get Movavi video converter?

It's not much money to worry about but I don't want to spend the time setting up and learning just to find they aren't any better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some other suggestions, Kdenlive, OpenShot, VideoPad Video Editor, DaVinci Resolve to name a few...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Davinci Resolve is always my go to for editing Shotcut is very good too
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks all. It looks like Shotcut cannot do layers and Davinci is $300. Kdenlive, OpenShot and VideoPad look good.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ChasVideo View Post
    Thanks all. It looks like Shotcut cannot do layers and Davinci is $300. Kdenlive, OpenShot and VideoPad look good.
    davinci studio is paid. davinci classic is free
    Quote Quote  
  6. Vegas Movie Studio is cheap, fast, flexible. To me, the biggest missing feature compared to the Vegas Pro, there is no levels visualizer tool. And I think there is a limit of 10 tracks, but for amateur stuff this is plenty.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ComsumerDV
    Vegas Movie Studio is cheap, fast, flexible. To me, the biggest missing feature compared to the Vegas Pro, there is no levels visualizer tool. And I think there is a limit of 10 tracks, but for amateur stuff this is plenty.
    Beware. The current Vegas Movie Studio is not the Vegas version. It is Magix Movie Edit Pro with the Movie Studio name. Not that there is anything particularly wrong with MEP (I use it) but the old Vegas Movie Studio no longer exists. Vegas Pro does still exist.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Oh. Thanks for the info! This page mentions new UI starting from version 14, but is mum regarding new codebase. I was talking about the original one. I used to have some ancient Magix editing software, and it was garbage. You can imagine how I was devastated, when Magix bought Vegas from Sony. I thought they bought both Pro and Movie Studio codebases.

Found some info here. There are probably other info, this was one of the first links in Google results. So, they switched the codebase for version 18.
    Last edited by ConsumerDV; 14th Apr 2022 at 22:38.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ConsumerDV
    Found some info here.
    That actually has nothing to do with the Vegas Studio switch. It was an internal whinge about VPX version 13 compared to VPX 12.

I used to have some ancient Magix editing software, and it was garbage.
    I wouldn't say that. It certainly has a different way of doing things. For example, why does Vegas have video tracks and audio tracks? In Magix, you can put whatever you want (images, videos, audio, titles) on whatever track you like.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    That actually has nothing to do with the Vegas Studio switch. It was an internal whinge about VPX version 13 compared to VPX 12.
    Google does not care about the topic title, it indexes all the words I just googled for "Vegas Movie Studio codebase magix", and google showed me that page. In particular,
    Just to clarify: the new Movie Studio 18 is not a Vegas product, so it is NOT "Vegas Movie Studio 18", just "Movie Studio 18". Apparently it is "built on"/a development of MEP/VdL (according to a message I received from a moderator on the Vegas forum). Its release has caused some degree of consternation to Vegas users, who were apparently unaware of the release and for whom the name is more than a little problematic!
    and
    Just read a post from a member of the Vegas team who said that it was they who wanted to discontinue Movie Studio, not Magix, as they "simply did not have the resources to support both VEGAS Pro and VEGAS Movie Studio. It should have been evident that this was the case as the quality of both products has suffered drastically in the last few years because our team was stretched so thin trying to work on both of them."
    As for Magix software,
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I wouldn't say that. It certainly has a different way of doing things. For example, why does Vegas have video tracks and audio tracks? In Magix, you can put whatever you want (images, videos, audio, titles) on whatever track you like.
    It was 10-15 years ago. I bought it cheap on sale, so did not care much for its crappiness. It was slow and buggy. I tried several different tools, like Ulead and Premiere Elements and there was something else... and Sony Vegas Movie Studio 6 (yep, it was that long ago) turned out to be the best. The most efficient, would scrub through the timeline in realtime with DV and HDV. Later, Vegas would struggle with AVCHD until, I think, version 9, when they drastically improved the performance. Vegas Pro as well as Movie Studio have presets, but allow to change anything on a project, and allow changing properties of individual clips, like PAR and field order - invaluable, when I get files from VirtualDub
    Quote Quote