VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using the Elgato capture device. (Are those ClearClick converters with built-in screens better?)

My resulting MP4 files have extra bits at the beginning and end of the videos. I can trim these with Any Video Converter, but that is so crude, and it requires transcoding, making my files about half the original size, and something tells me that isn't good.

I don't want to change the original files, beyond trimming the extra parts off the beginning and end.

Is there something free I can use that isn't adware, trialware, or watermarking? If I had some sense of control, as in picking a specific frame to make a cut, that would be great.

I may have used Handbrake for this some years ago, but I can't remember.

I teach art, and am doing this to digitize our VHS collection. I am clearly no expert, and could use a little advice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    AVIDemux
    What throws me is that AVIDemux is wanting the save the edited video as an MKV file, not an MP4—unless I'm missing something. Maybe it doesn't matter?

I'm put off because other software I've used has had trouble with MKV files, and I've had to transcode them into MP4 files before creating DVDs.

After editing, I will need to create VOBs and ISOs to burn to DVD. I've been using VIDCoder, AnyVideoConverter, AVStoDVD, and even DVD Flcik to handle that part of the process.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have just been using avi demux to chop up some video.

It's likely you haven't set the output correctly, have a look and see if this is any help to you

The video is timestamped to save you watching the bits you don't need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF8wof8KmLc
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RowRowYourBoat View Post
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    AVIDemux
    What throws me is that AVIDemux is wanting the save the edited video as an MKV file, not an MP4—unless I'm missing something. Maybe it doesn't matter?

I'm put off because other software I've used has had trouble with MKV files ....
    So change it to .mp4, it's in the popup menu right in front of you.

Remember that like all free x264 editors you have to cut on keyframes (I-frames) to avoid re encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  6. checkout LosslessCut. It extracts file in same format you already have, no transcoding or watermarks. It's free and fast.
    Quote Quote  
  7. before creating DVDs.
    If your target is DVD you could use DVDStyler. It can do the cuts.

[Attachment 60589 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by RowRowYourBoat View Post
    What throws me is that AVIDemux is wanting the save the edited video as an MKV file, not an MP4—unless I'm missing something.
    Change Output Format to MP4 Muxer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There you go!

Probably doesn't happen to you guys, but I get stressed by new software, scared to death I'm going to break something. Did not see the setting in my frenzied state.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
    Quote Quote