VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all!
    First time on this forum I'm starting a project which will have lots of video clips in lots of languages (subtitles).
    The project end product will be run from a HTA (HTML application), and I have been able to confirm that DVD video clips with subtitles created in Encore is perfect for this purpose.
    Just one "small" issue... I can't force the users to select subtitle language each time they start viewing a new clip...
    So - how on earth do I tell the SWF file (the video player that Encore creates) to use a specific language for the subtitles?
    I know I can specify a default language but - as you can tell from my description of the problem - this is not what I need.
    If the user has selected Italian from a language menu (not having anything to do with the videos what so ever) I need to be able to somehow pass the language selection on to the video player later.
    How is this done? I'm running the index.html file which Encore creates.
    I would have guessed that starting the index file like this;
    myPath/index.html?lang=it
    would have been a possibility. Or maybe;
    myPath/index.html?subtitleLanguage=it
    But since there is no code in the index.html to handle this, I know that it's not gonna work THAT way.
    The video player then? (SWF) can THIS file handle some switches so I can tell it to use another language for subtitles?

If there is anyone out there, that can be of any help - please, please, pleeeeaaaaase do not hesitate doing so.

If this - for real - is not doable, then there is something really bad going on in Denmark...
    I can give several examples of projects that need the possibility to pre-select language for videos like this. So if the player isn't prepared for it, I would say; "Go back and do it right this time!" to the planners/authors of the player.

If the player from Encore in fact does not provide a function for pre-selecting subtitle language, are there any other equivalent players out there that do?

Thanks a million for your thoughts and tips!

/George
    Quote Quote  
  2. Maybe a javascript call from the HTML page to the DVD player (SWF)?
    I know it would work - but it requires the player to have a handler for it.
    Maybe it does - maybe Adobe put a handler there, just in case and for testing purposes - if not for anything else?

Anyone?
    Quote Quote