VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a number of old VCD / DVD discs more than 10 years that I want to make a copy of them to hard drives, so as to avoid possible crack, damage or loss of the physical discs in the future.

What is the easiest way while preserving the quality as original as possible ?

I have little experience of doing this

Please suggest for me I'm a newbie
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can preserve 100% of the original quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You should start by reading the VCD tutorial on this site:

https://www.videohelp.com/vcd

Just copy files to your hard drive and use the MPEG-1 files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In general*, you can just copy the .dat files directly from the disc. To ensure playback and editing compatibility, convert the .dat files to .mpg with VCDEasy. There's no change in quality as .dat files are the same as .mpg (mpeg 1) with some extra info in the header which may cause issues with some (usually older) playback and editing software.

If you want to create a new VCD from the files, you'll have to create the proper VCD structure with a program like VCDEasy before burning. You could also create a DVD Video disc since 352x240 (NTSC) & 352x288 (PAL) Mpeg 1 video is supported by the DVD spec.

*There are some wildly out of spec VCDs primarily from India with copy protection that's never been cracked. I've never heard about any VCD from Asia having any type of copy protection.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "Just copying" is not the best method for VCDs, as the mpeg files (*.DAT as authored on disc) reside in CDXA Mode2Form2 disc sectors, so if you don't properly strip off the sector overhead metadata during or immediately after ripping, you will have garbage mixed in with every sector's-worth of data copied. Garbage which can corrupt playback, or future editing/conversion.

<edit>lingyi beat me to it</>

@kenny1999, why are you still a newbie? You've been on this site for a decade. Seriously?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most vcds you have will be toast so you will be lucky to rip any thing off that with any program.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Decrypter to read DVD ISO.
    Imgburn to read VCD, or ISOBuster to extract it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "DVD Decrypter to read DVD ISO.
    Imgburn to read VCD, or ISOBuster to extract it."
    Yup, Imgburn all the way!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    "Just copying" is not the best method for VCDs, as the mpeg files (*.DAT as authored on disc) reside in CDXA Mode2Form2 disc sectors, so if you don't properly strip off the sector overhead metadata during or immediately after ripping, you will have garbage mixed in with every sector's-worth of data copied. Garbage which can corrupt playback, or future editing/conversion.

<edit>lingyi beat me to it</>

@kenny1999, why are you still a newbie? You've been on this site for a decade. Seriously?

Scott
    I am not a frequently visiting or learning , doing this thing, seriously spekaing
    Quote Quote