VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello guys!
    Recently i noticed that my footages are not -7db. I've always had on my mind that this is from the camera or that necessarily was.
    I insert my footages on sequence automate. When I inserted manually a clip I saw that it had 3 audio tracks and the volume was much better (+4 db or more). What's matter with the action "automate to sequence"? It doesn't have an option for audio volume or something.
    Does anyone know what's happening?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sure would be helpful if you actually told us what software you were referring to...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Yiota View Post
    Hello guys!
    Recently i noticed that my footages are not -7db... When I inserted manually a clip I saw that it had 3 audio tracks and the volume was much better (+4 db or more).
    For all we know, +4dB may be much worse rather than "much better" as it may lead to audible clipping under some circumstances. We need more details.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Omg sorry!
    I am using Premiere Cs6.
    My clip has 4db difference if I import it by "automate to sequence"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried Sony Vegas Pro? It has a full blown audio editor included FREE. Supports VST(Free Pro Plugins) too!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Have you tried Sony Vegas Pro? It has a full blown audio editor included FREE. Supports VST(Free Pro Plugins) too!
    LOL that's funny man. Saying it includes a FREE "full blown audio editor".

You do realize that Vegas Pro costs $600 US Dollars (or more).

Oh man you made me laugh good though ha ha ha
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hahaha. Glad you liked it.

I try to recommend the better tools to people. To help them along. But alas, not everyone has the mental capacity. Know what I mean?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I try to recommend the better tools to people. To help them along. But alas, not everyone has the mental capacity.
    And fewer of us have the financial capacity.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    I try to recommend the better tools to people. To help them along. But alas, not everyone has the mental capacity.
    Quit on coffees and McDoogles.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quit on coffees and McDoogles.
    And have no idea, and no desire to know, what a "McDoogle" is.
    I spend about $5/month on coffee, so saving that for 10 years I could buy your software.

The point is that it's a professional tool. Pretty much all of us here are just doing this as a hobby.
    It comes out of the family budget, not a business expense.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The OP stated they were using CS6. That's not a cheap/Free software for hobbyists.

When people ask for free or cheap solutions, I only offer Vegas Studio Editions, some are really cheap. Nearly free. There are NO good free NLE's, and the whole concept of video has changed dramatically lately, since RGB TV's came into the scene.

Those who stick with only free tools will be more and more limited in the coming years, because the constructs are complex now. Particle Gen's, MatchMoving, Optical Flow Tracking and Interpolation, high frame rates, etc., are mainstream now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The OP stated they were using CS6. That's not a cheap/Free software for hobbyists.
    Okay, that explains the gratuitous insults then.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What insults? Are you a troll?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think he was referring to the "mental capacity" line. Granted, that was in response to the snarky "ha, ha" business...

IIWY, I'd just move on.

@OP, I've never used (nor had a need to use) "Automate to sequence", preferring instead to have FULL CONTROL over how the app(s) interpret my footage.

Why do you need "automate to sequence" anyway?

And "-7 dB" and "+4 dB" are referring to WHAT SCALE? Digital Full-scale? dBm, dBVU, dBSPL...?
    Not knowing what your clips are about or where they come from would give me no indication that they should be ANY particular dB level.

For example, if I'm shooting Single-system ENG with an in-line Mixer/Limiter (like Shure FP33A), I set my 0dB VU (rms) to -12 dB digital full-scale with the limiter kicking in at +6 to +10 dB VU (that's -6 to -2 dBfs). That way, I get near full level most of the time but NEVER get digital clipping. But even then, a LOT depends on the subject/content. Somethings still might be -20 dBfs and others -4 dBfs. Then, it's a matter of using tools in the editor timeline: Normalize or Dynamic-range Compression (or leaving them alone if that sounds more natural and high-quality).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    IIWY, I'd just move on.

Scott
    Yeah, but I thought it was a given, that comment.

...Gone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And there you go again.

Clearly you're just an arrogant jerk who thinks he has the right to sneer at anyone who doesn't have exactly the same priorities as you do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And there you go again.

Clearly you're just an arrogant jerk who thinks he has the right to sneer at anyone who doesn't have exactly the same priorities as you do.

no we(that is several long time posters) just play lightheartedly with other posters. a little levity goes a long way. sorry, i guess, except when the recipient doesn't get it. there aren't any really "mean" posters around lately.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    And there you go again.

no we(that is several long time posters) just play lightheartedly with other posters. a little levity goes a long way. sorry, i guess, except when the recipient doesn't get it. there aren't any really "mean" posters around lately.
    Even though I've only been here for 6 years and made barely 4000 posts, I still understand what "levity" is.
    Putting people down because they don't want to blow $600 on your favoured software isn't terribly humorous.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But "Al", what have you learned in those six years? I used the same time period to grow and learn quite a bit, but Al, I think it's too late for you. You're too far behind.

And as the Chinese say, "You have a chicken brain".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    And there you go again.

Even though I've only been here for 6 years and made barely 4000 posts, I still understand what "levity" is.
    Putting people down because they don't want to blow $600 on your favoured software isn't terribly humorous.
    the first thing i never assume here is that the poster has actually paid for the software they need help with. if they had, most likely they would be asking customer service or posting on the software's board not here.

as long as they don't blatantly come out and say they are using warez....
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ok, short of buying some more software, does anybody else have a helpful suggestion? Maybe he's buggered off - haven't heard in a while...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But "Al", what have you learned in those six years? I used the same time period to grow and learn quite a bit, but Al, I think it's too late for you. You're too far behind.

And as the Chinese say, "You have a chicken brain".

Well, clearly you've learned to be a Grade A *******.

Unlike you, I reserve abuse for those who have truly earned it.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I've never used (nor had a need to use) "Automate to sequence", preferring instead to have FULL CONTROL over how the app(s) interpret my footage.

Why do you need "automate to sequence" anyway?
    My movie consists 80 clips. You insert them to sequence one by one??
    I select all -----> automate to sequence -----> the clip has one audio track and the volume is -7 db
    If I 'll insert them one by one the clips have 3 audio tracks and the volume is -3 db
    The volume is different, why?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    When you insert them into the timeline one by one, you have more control. I always want full control over what I'm doing and how I want the quality to be, so YES, I always insert them one by one whether there are 10 clips or 10000.

I still don't quite know why it is doing that, but my guess is this:
    Normal insert to track uses default volume level. I would expect it to be 0 dBVU, but maybe because of preset or panning law it was kept at -3.
    A-to-S is probably checking signal dynamics and normalizing and then lowering the master to compensate so the rms average is equal to what it might have been had you done it manually.
    Btw, I'm pretty sure you are doing wrong because whenever I have used any version of Premiere I have always been able to put audio onto one and only one track if that's how I wanted it.

There are probably multiple ways to get your clips onto the timeline, with some adding tracks per clip and others not. You should be checking your manual...

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 29th Aug 2012 at 22:13.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you Scott for your advise and the informations.
    I will think about it
    Quote Quote