VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some video that I have shot and edited in Premiere. I now have a one minute clip that is over 200 meg. How can I get it down enough to send to my friends and family on the internet without loosing quality? I know I should be able to get it down to atleast 10 meg, but I'd like to try for 5 if I can.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Without losing any quality is next to impossible if you only want to send 5-10 MB video over the net. If the video is in DV, you can encode it to .wmv and send it over the 'Net, but .wmv is lesser quality than DV. Use Video Studio to do it, in my opinion.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  3. well, I don't mind quality loss, but just not too much quality loss.
    Where can I find Video Studio?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For sending this file across the internet to friends/family consider using the DivX format. All they have to do is download the free DivX codec (which comes with a playback program) and then they can play your DivX encoded video.

DivX format (which is MPEG-4 not MPEG-2 like DVD) will give you the best combination of compression and quality.

Try using a resolution of 640x480 and make sure you deinterlace the video for the DivX file. Use MP3 audio at 192kbps for best sound or 160kbps for nearly as good but smaller size. You can also use a resolution less than 640x480 if you need a smaller size file.

Consider using GORDIAN KNOT which is the best software I've found for making DivX files. You can get it over at the doom9 website along with guides on how to use it.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Umm, is that for homemade video? I downloaded it, but it looks like it's made for working with DVD-rips. Unless I downloaded the wrong prgram, but it's the only program I saw on their site. Unless I'm doing something wrong. Is there a walkthru or something for it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you can use dr. divx. its a very simple divx encoding program.
    Laserdiscs are cool, but laserdiscs on DVD-Rs are cooler.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lord Balthazar
    Umm, is that for homemade video? I downloaded it, but it looks like it's made for working with DVD-rips. Unless I downloaded the wrong prgram, but it's the only program I saw on their site. Unless I'm doing something wrong. Is there a walkthru or something for it?
    Well DV video is in an AVI format so YES you can load a DV AVI file into GORDIAN KNOT and use it ... just make sure you deinterlace the video (since it is being made for viewing on a computer screen) and well that's about it.

Yes most of the guides for GORDIAN KNOT (to make a DivX) are geared towards DVD back ups but it can be used for DV AVI video.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    There is an option in GORDIAN KNOT to deinterlace your DV AVI video so that the final DivX is deinterlaced.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  9. You have to compress the video. The size of the source makes no difference. What matters is the runtime of the source and the bitrate your choose.

I would recommend using a MPEG4 codec. There are 3 popular ones: MS, divx and xvid. The easiest to use might be the one from MS, that way if people try to play it with media player, odds are it will automatically d/load the codec if they don't have it installed.

Or you could just provide a link to d/load the codec on of your choice.

Take a look to the left under convert for how to do this. The basic process is:

1) D/load and run Virtual Dub
    2) Load you video clip in VDub
    3) Choose the video codec and audio codec you want
    4) Save avi (not actually avi, just the extension)

You can use a bitrate calculator to choose the bitrate needed for your desired file size.
    Quote Quote