VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello everyone,

I have been recording analog videos from VCRs, camcorders to pc in Mpeg-2 format for years in Turkey. And I need an old capture card Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250. You can see the image. Has anybody still have this card and want to sell for a sensible price?
    [Attachment 54902 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 54903 - Click to enlarge]

Thanks
    Last edited by OS_Man; 17th Sep 2020 at 07:23. Reason: spelling error
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could also look for newer PVR 150 model or last PCI model know as HVR 1600
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ew, no, not the PVR-150. It has inferior chipsets, IRE issues, the sound is awful.

Those 250/350 cards really were nice. Not AIW nice, but not far too off for MPEG encoding. Maybe a bit softer.
    eBay may be your only resort here.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have an NTSC version in the closet.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OS_Man View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have been recording analog videos from VCRs, camcorders to pc in Mpeg-2 format for years in Turkey. And I need an old capture card Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250. You can see the image. Has anybody still have this card and want to sell for a sensible price?
    [Attachment 54902 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 54903 - Click to enlarge]

Thanks
    ebay - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=WinTV+PVR-250&_sacat=0
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    eBay listings need to be examined carefully. The Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250 has distinct PAL and NTSC versions. The PAL version would probably be far more useful than the NTSC version for VHS video capture in Turkey.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    eBay listings need to be examined carefully. The Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250 has distinct PAL and NTSC versions. The PAL version would probably be far more useful than the NTSC version for VHS video capture in Turkey.
    As usually_quiet said it must be PAL model for my country. I've been using PVR-250 for years and its quality is enough for old tapes. When I tested PVR-150 once, I had sound synchronization problem.

And I need mpg recording. HVR 1600 recording ts format as I know.

I couldn't find PVR-250 in eBay, still searching.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to find information about a PAL version for the WinTV HVR-1600 at Hauppauge's UK website. There is no such model number listed among either current products or legacy products. My guess is that there was a similar product with a different model number that Hauppauge distributed to PAL countries. I think that when using Hauppauge's WinTV software for capturing from one of their HVR TV tuner products, ts is the default file type the software uses for recordings originating from the digital tuner but recordings from the analog connections can be mpg.

If you can't find a WinTV PVR-250, you will probably find the newer products somewhat disappointing. I never had a WinTV PVR-250 but if I remember correctly, some discussions here at VideoHelp noted that the software that it came with offered access to more settings for the on-board encoder than the software distributed with the HVR TV tuner cards did.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Sep 2020 at 13:13.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As usually_quiet said it must be PAL model for my country. I've been using PVR-250 for years and its quality is enough for old tapes. When I tested PVR-150 once, I had sound synchronization problem.

would this one work here - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hauppauge-WinTV-HVR1300-TV-Tuner-Card-PAL-/202617333093?hash=item2f2cef2565
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's been years, but I remember that only the analog (now useles) tuner is PAL/NTSC.
    The composite/s-video is PAL or NTSC.

The is how ATI AIW is. (BTW, the ATI AIW is better than the Hauppauge.)

The PVR-250/350 chipsets are also different than latter HD cards like 1300/1600.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Ew, no, not the PVR-150. It has inferior chipsets, IRE issues, the sound is awful.

Those 250/350 cards really were nice. Not AIW nice, but not far too off for MPEG encoding. Maybe a bit softer.
    eBay may be your only resort here.
    That not true because the card he has is the newer ver 2 model of 250 that feature the same CX23416 chipset that found on the PVR 150/500
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Not true HVR 1600 can record in MPEG to container just like HVR 1800 and 2255 as all depend on that app your using and it allow you to change to the option
    [Attachment 54971 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  13. The PVR-250 has (as shown) a NXP SAA7115 video decoder combined with a conexant chip for mpeg2-encoding. Many of the hauppauge cards that have a video decoder from conexant instead, which is not anywhere near as good at handling dodgy video signals from video tapes or whatever as the Philips/NXP chips are.
    Quote Quote