VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anyone here tried to extract videos recorded onto a dvd recorder's hard drive ? The hdd is linux freebsd (ext2,3,4 i'm not sure)

I've tried sucessfully Photorec (comes with testdisk) but the problem is that it recover every video (including deleted ones) and there is no workaround to this i'm affraid

Today i've tried linuxreader (which list the hdd's partition as UFS strangely) but i can't get into the drive, it's a protection perhaps.

So to recapitulate what i'd like to do:

1) access the drive from windows (from ubuntu why not but i'll need command lines help etc..)
    2) copy videos selectively (not entirely, not deleted ones)

Thanks for your input guys
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And even if you could copy a single video the chances are that it would not play. These DVRS typically record a raw stream and the DVR has bespoke software to play it back.

But if it's a standard dvd-recorder then you could dub any recording straight to a blank disk.

The easiest method with a non-standard recorder is to recapture the video stream as it plays back.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is software for old LG/Medion recorders.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But if it's a standard dvd-recorder then you could dub any recording straight to a blank disk.
    I hear you but i record in higher quality (HQ+, 15 Mbps) on the hdd and that's not compatible with dvd (~9 Mbps) hence this why i need to extract the orginal files. One thing i haven't tried is the VR mode on dvd though, maybe it's not limited to 9Mbps. The VR mode was made for PC
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    in the USA the toshiba rd-xs54 and rd-xs55 allow net dubbing (network copy) of recordings to a pc, when they land on the pc two files are created, one by the {name of the recording}.mpg and one by the {name of the recording}.txt containing description and metadata.

.. at least pioneer and panasonic recorders have salvaging toolkits for recordings on github.. they are not useful for mounting a filesystem, but read the extracted recorder hard disk and dump copies of reconstructed recordings on additional hard drives the pc can mount

warning: removing a pioneer hard disk from the recorder may require a service remote and special service DVD rom to re-attach the hard disk to the recorder, removing a panasonic hard disk from the recorder may require additional service steps that may require wiping the drive to re-attach the hard disk to the recorder
    Last edited by jwillis84; 24th May 2018 at 01:08. Reason: typos
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I hear you but i record in higher quality (HQ+, 15 Mbps) on the hdd and that's not compatible with dvd (~9 Mbps) hence this why i need to extract the orginal files. One thing i haven't tried is the VR mode on dvd though, maybe it's not limited to 9Mbps. The VR mode was made for PC
    VR mode is AFAIK a straight-to-disk format. It is not dvd-video compatable although a +VR disk will play in a PC. All sorts of issues with -VR which will only play on your own or a similar recorder. Might not even play in a PC.

Never tried to dub a HQ recording. But it's a dvd-recorder so it should still write the necessary files to disk but could re-encode. Guess you would not want to do that either. Might be wrong on that though.

True you get the quality with HQ but surely its a waste of bitrate (30 mins for 4 gb ??). It's still a lossy format and transfer to another codec will mean a re-encode and loss of quality,
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I read that DVD-VR mode was "re-importable" into a DVD recorder in an editable format.

That could mean it is the raw video without indexing in a variety of formats or different bit rates.

The VideoRedo software suite supports all kinds of special formats, the more expensive versions support more formats.

Before buying you might ask their support if they could read the DVD-VR discs of the recorder your trying to get video from they may have experience with what you are trying to do.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I've tried to copy on DVD-R in VR mode (.VRO file) today but it's indeed limited to 9Mbps with pcm sound, that's the max it can do
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What would happen if you dubbed your HQ file in dvd-video mode ?. True its not dvd-compliant but use a RW disk so you can atleast, if it works, rip from the disk to your HDD. That disk should still play on your player else what would be the purpose in having such a mode.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Sollution is actualy very simple... I got Philips DVDR 3595 for free, in order to digitize my VHS tapes. Unfortunately DVD drive was busted. I checked all sollutions here, also with iso buster and HDD connected to PC and found out it is not needed. First of all, I connected IDE DVD+R drive to open DVD Recorder (see pic)
    [Attachment 55297 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 55298 - Click to enlarge]

I got plenty of those, ask friends, for sure there's someone having it. Next, then, Philips did record DVD on DVD+R put as suplement. IsoBuster would read it no problem, but it costs 49$ and you actualy don't need it.

DVD disc, comming out of Philips DVDR is ordinary video DVD with VOBs, just not closed, that means, only Philips can read it.

If you write on rewriteable DVD RW, PC can see it, but out of 20 RWs discs, actualy all were over 15 yrs old and full of errors when burned again (empty circles due to faulty material).

Then I tried to burn ordinary DVD+R with my videos and PC would not recognize it. There's function Finalize disc on PC (any recording software, I use Nero / i guess even Philips recorder has it, but didn't check into menus...) and voila, after that, everything I burned on recorder, was available as DVD video to PC... You just have to use DVD Ripper software or copy VOBs and edit them by hand in Video software...
    Quote Quote