VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For you that makes sense. For me: $800 + $500 = $1300.
    VP5 is more economical.

I have a question for anyone who might be using VP5 and motion buttons (animated buttons).

When I add a few blank elements to a menu, and then add a single clip to all those blank elements (with different chapter points), THEN select "preview" for each resulting button, the buttons all preview that clip from the begining of the clip (instead of from each buttons chapter point).

Anyone know if the buttons can be made to preview from their respective chapter points (without having to actually add seperate instances of the clip)?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good question Leebo !!!

I have exactly the same problem. And more:

Of course creating chapter marks is a breeze. But then ??
    How in heaven's name can I have a menu where the buttons jump to these chapter marks ? ? ? Maybe I am stupid, but I cannot find out how to do it. Please don't tell me you can't do it at all.....

Actualy what I REALLY need is preview buttons that do not start at the beginning of the clip (or even the chapter mark), but simply a piece somewhere in the middle of that clip.

Of course, normaly you would want the beginning of the element or chapter mark (f.i. movies) but I am converting VHS tapes with music video's and I dont want the start of the clip in the button, but a more representative part (sometimes clips start very dark etc...)

I have been able to do this with TSCV. I admit I had to cheat (first create "fake" chapter marks, generate the menu, save that and start again, now creating the chapter marks that I want the buttons to reference to.) but at least it is possible.

I fear Videopack 5 isn't as powerful as I hoped......unless.....HELP !!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Leebo - since the manual is a joke, I will ask you because I just dont have the time to figure things out myself right now - I want to have a still image I edited in photoshop as a menu button, linked ofcourse to a video clip. I have tried to set the button to still in button editor but this seems to only let you use the first frame of the clip as a still iamge.

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    42 said: "How in heaven's name can I have a menu where the buttons jump to these chapter marks ? ? ? Maybe I am stupid, but I cannot find out how to do it. Please don't tell me you can't do it at all.....

Select (highlight) the element in the lower left hand window, THEN in the lower right hand window insert a chapter point. The button for that element will now point to that spot in the clip.
    For the next chapter: select a DIFFERENT element on the left side (you can have 99 different elements, all using the same exact clip), then on the right set another chapter point.
    Each new chapter point points to whatever element happens to be highlighted in the left hand window.

"Actualy what I REALLY need is preview buttons that do not start at the beginning of the clip (or even the chapter mark), but simply a piece somewhere in the middle of that clip."

Sorry, I'm not aware of any authoring software that does that.

You can create an mpeg clip using your menu background with picture in picture clips representing the points you want, then use this new mpeg clip as your menu. When you create the buttons, select "None" for each one and the buttons will be invisable (but still highlight when you select them with your remote).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Kon said: "I want to have a still image I edited in photoshop as a menu button, linked ofcourse to a video clip. I have tried to set the button to still in button editor but this seems to only let you use the first frame of the clip as a still image."

Right. You can create a bitmap in whatever shape you like and place it in the Roxio/Videopack/Images/mask folder (check the bitmaps there for size). It will then be available in the button editor under "Border".
    You can change the default color and transparency for button highlights by going into the registry. You'll have to read the manual for that because I haven't tried it yet (the info is there, though).

If you want to use a photo as a button, you'll have to follow the directions I gave 42, but save it as a bitmap instead of an mpeg (and use invisable buttons over the pics).

Now, if I could only get an answer to my question!!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    35 posts, and more than half of them by me! (I should at least use several screen names so it looks like this is a popular subject).

I forgot to mention, although VP5 cannot do AC3, it CAN make use of AC3 files if you have them. So, another question: What program(s) can convert mpeg audio into AC3?

I'm hoping if I mux a m2v with an AC3 that VP will burn it as AC3, as the (cough) manual seems to imply.
    Quote Quote  
  7. leebo:

1. I 'think' you can achieve what u want if you click on the chapter mark frame and highlight it - then this frame shows in the button and any preview starts from it.(actualy it looks like you can highlight any frame in the video elemnt regardless of the active chapter mark)
    2. my dumb question of the day - you said you can get the same video to appear many times, I can only see two ways of doing this: A. refrencing the element - this in effects creates a short cut to an element, however the problem is that when you set an active chapter point in one of these refrencs it becomes the active short cut for all of them, very bad for button assigmnets. B copying the elemnt - this works fine, the copied element 'remembers' all chapters assigned in the original and you can highlight/activate diffrent ones for different elemmnts - BUT this seems to actually load the video sevrel time into the project - i.e there are 4 copies of the video in the project making the size huge. Am I again missing something realy obvoius?

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm...
    Seems that while I've been busy writing, kon has been busy figuring out the program!

I wake up this morning to find one of my questions answered (Thanks!) but with another problem to figure out.

OK. called tech support about it.
    They're aware of that problem and said Germany is working on a patch. Don't know when it will be out, so keep checking the Roxio web site.

In the meantime, to save SOME space, highlight each element, one at a time, and in the chapter editor, move the first RED flag to wherever you want the chapter to start.
    VP will encode that clip starting from that point (instead of at the begining of the clip).

Quote Quote  
  9. well...
    this is almost good enough - you can also move the end red flag, so effectivly you can tel vp5 what part of the video each elemnt is and it only encodes that bit. what would realy help is if there was a more precise way of placing the flags. Its a bit complicated but basicly does the job.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-11-08 20:48:23, leebo wrote:
    42 said: "How in heaven's name can I have a menu where the buttons jump to these chapter marks ? ? ? Maybe I am stupid, but I cannot find out how to do it. Please don't tell me you can't do it at all.....

Select (highlight) the element in the lower left hand window, THEN in the lower right hand window insert a chapter point. The button for that element will now point to that spot in the clip.
    For the next chapter: select a DIFFERENT element on the left side (you can have 99 different elements, all using the same exact clip), then on the right set another chapter point.
    Each new chapter point points to whatever element happens to be highlighted in the left hand window.
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>
    OK,but how did you create these elements ? Did you select "Make this element reference to the selected element"? This would be the most logical choice. I don't want 5 copies of the same MPEG as what happens when you select copy.... Also: on what level should they be ? I have tried it what you suggest, but I still see no correspondence between the element I selected and the chapter entry I created after that.....

Also, there is no way to create logical paths between the elements when they are a reference to another element. How can this be, this makes it virtualy worthless to create "reference elements".

I am SO confused about this !

And I thought this would be easier than TSCV !
    <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    "Actualy what I REALLY need is preview buttons that do not start at the beginning of the clip (or even the chapter mark), but simply a piece somewhere in the middle of that clip."

Sorry, I'm not aware of any authoring software that does that.
    Like I mentioned, TSCV can do it, but it's kinda hard and buggy tool to use....but it does do what I want..

You can create an mpeg clip using your menu background with picture in picture clips representing the points you want, then use this new mpeg clip as your menu. When you create the buttons, select "None" for each one and the buttons will be invisable (but still highlight when you select them with your remote).
    Yeah I thought about this as well. It actualy is the same trich I used with TSCV....
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On 2001-11-09 16:36:40, kon wrote:
    well...
    this is almost good enough - you can also move the end red flag, so effectivly you can tel vp5 what part of the video each elemnt is and it only encodes that bit. what would realy help is if there was a more precise way of placing the flags. Its a bit complicated but basicly does the job.

Mmm, I wonder if this will not cause any pauses between those elements during playback on a DVD player. Also, this is a very rude way of doing it....howerer I'll give it a try.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "OK,but how did you create these elements ?"

There is a button at the top toolbar for that.

" I still see no correspondence between the element I selected and the chapter entry I created after that....."

The element will have a small icon picture on it showing a still of wherever the chapter point is. If you move the chapter point (with the element still selected), you'll see the picture change.

"Also, there is no way to create logical paths between the elements when they are a reference to another element. How can this be, this makes it virtualy worthless to create "reference elements"."

Which is why my previous post said they were working on that.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Someone asked about a program that would convert audio files to AC3:

http://www.wwug.com/forums/media100-finish/010110154157.htm
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On 2001-11-09 17:44:17, leebo wrote:
    "OK,but how did you create these elements ?"

There is a button at the top toolbar for that.

" I still see no correspondence between the element I selected and the chapter entry I created after that....."

The element will have a small icon picture on it showing a still of wherever the chapter point is. If you move the chapter point (with the element still selected), you'll see the picture change.

"Also, there is no way to create logical paths between the elements when they are a reference to another element. How can this be, this makes it virtualy worthless to create "reference elements"."

Which is why my previous post said they were working on that.
    Yes I understand how to create these elements with the menu. But they ALL point to ONE chaptermark.

Any news on the fix ? It already is taking them very long to get a Win XP fix ready. The German site is indicating an update "soon" but this message is there already for 4 weeks now.....

I'm glad I have a "preview" version of this software, I think the product could be good, but they must resolve this problem.
    Quote Quote  
  15. OK ... everyone speaks of how creating chapters is incredibly easy. While this is true, I have yet to encounter an mpeg that gives me accurate chapter stops. So, I read the help and found:

The specifications specify that a marking must be integrated in permissible MPEG material approximately every 0.5 seconds (sequence header) that represents a jump point. If the MPEG material has not been created in accordance with the standard, it can be that these markings are missing or are too far apart. However, only these markings can be used as jump.

So, I figured I needed to reprocess to the mpegs to get these "markings" in the proper places. I tried MPEGCorrecter, VCDGear, and iFilmEdit with no success. How do I get these "markings" to appear in my mpeg files? It seems pathetic that VideoPack doesn't do this for you and offers no potential solution sources.

Thanks for any help.

das
    Quote Quote  
  16. hello all,

I just got Videopack5... looks awasome, except i can't figure out how to make a menu so i can actually navigate the VCD. How do i learn how to do a menu [static is fine for now... no need for moving ones yet ]

Also the first VCD i made;

*Had no menus... ! I want menus

*Had a silly line with the number "1" in the top left hand corner all the time ! What is that... it seems to skip to the next mpeg file in the series when u click on it in the roxio VCD player

* would not play in my DVD player at all . A sony model DVP-S335... it would automatically play in my silly old casio VCD player, but again i could not navigate it... the only thing io could control was moving forward by pressing the play button over and over again !!! Wassup with that ? Are the resulting VCDs not compatible with nearly all DVD playerS?

regards,

Dizzynoodle
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi Leebo.

How about posting a tutorial with all your writings and some screen dumps? That would be nice, since I am without a manual (However bad a manual must be, it is always an improvement to not owning a manual)

Kasper Knald
    Quote Quote  
  18. is this package also available as a try out version?(aka trial )
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While I usually have no problems with "trial" versions of software, I actually bought VP5 (because I was so impressed with the "trial" of VP4), and had high expectations.

So I can't help anyone with a "trial" of VP5

So far, I'm happy with it, but they have to fix that DVD bug b4 I can use it for that. I want the maximum room for video on a disc.

If you got the help file with VP5, there is a basic tutorial for making a VCD that will get you started.

I may write a tutorial, but if I do it will be AFTER the DVD fix.
    Remember, Germans wrote Nero, and it had bugs when ver 5 was released. It took them I think two months or so to release a fix.

Or they could be like Sonic (a US co I think) and release fix after fix. I think DVD it is up to 2.5.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Anyone know where I can purchase VP5 (Cheaper than the Roxio Site) around the UK or know of anyone doing Deals with the Pioneer A03 Writer.

If VP5 can do all of VP4 but with better quality (mpeg2) files and play on any DVD set top player - then I'm sold.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    An XP update is available on the German website.
    It seems to only fix the CDROM emulator problem.

I called Roxio US today and the tech said they've been talking about a mid-December release for the first real fix.

I'm not holding my breath though. ATI told me the XP MMC would be out almost a month ago, and I finally came out last week.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    More info on the XP update patch:

I still cannot burn anything to disc using VP5 under XP.
    I've tried on two XP machines but no go.

I copied the image to a Win 98se machine and VP5 had no problem burning it to a disc.

HOWEVER!!!!
    Since VP re-encodes every chapter point when you use the DVD template, I have to set the start and end (red) flags to save disc space. This results in loss of sound sync after the second chapter.

Anyone else experience this?
    Quote Quote