VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,

I capture/convert Hi8 video footage to DV AVI format with the
    Canopus ADVC-100 product. Which luminance setting should I
    use in CCE when converting to DVD MPEG2?

0-255 or 16-235?

Thanks,
    vcddude
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If for NTSC TV, then use 16-235.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks!

vcddude
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    dv is already 16-235 -- don't clamp it again ...
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on the DV codec and other intermediate processing steps you do before you hit the encoder. Try 16-235 first and if blacks look blocked up, and whites look washed out, and everything in between seems a little too contrasty (I think this is what should happen) then try the other setting.

One way to check your codec output is to open your file with AVISynth and use the ColorYUV(analyze=true) command. This will tell you the luminance range of the video after it passes through the DV codec.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes true -- there are some rare cases were dv would not be clamped .. most of the time it would be though ..

BUT - important // do not go on what you see on your PC monitor as it WILL look "bad" (clamped video - where black will NOT look black) , only go by what you see on your TV (where black is black) ..

BUT

if you have a rearscreen projection tv (some of them), plasma display, video projector -- you do NOT need to clamp your video at all .. in fact it looks better not to .

do a test
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the tip. Yeah, that's why I was specific about my use of the Canopus ADVC-100 in this context -- was hoping someone would know the answer in the context of the ADVC-100.

vcddude
    Quote Quote