VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The short video below is an example. It will be running fine then all the color drops out, then color comes back, then drops back out. This seems to have sporadically. I have hooked the VCR straight into a TV and it works just fine, no discoloration.

https://youtu.be/fo7465gf4wc

I have a very basic, cheap setup. The VCR is running into an inexpensive USB capture device I picked up on Amazon. It has been working fine until recently. I assume it to be the culprit but I don't have a way to know for sure. I am capturing using OBS but have tested other software and the problem persists. I am a total newbie in this space and unsure what to try. I originally thought it was the VCR but not I think otherwise. I know a lot of people talk about a time base corrector as helping lots of issues. Not sure if this is something it would help or not. I hesitate to go down that path. I'm just doing this as a project for my parents and I hate to have a $150 piece of equipment hooked into a $20 capture card. I have accumulated a pile of VCRs from friends and family now and I keep running into this problem. Would a better capture card be the answer? Or would the TBC be the answer? Or something else. I am at a total loss. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by clokwise View Post
    I have a very basic, cheap setup. The VCR is running into an inexpensive USB capture device I picked up on Amazon.
    You just answered your own question.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Originally Posted by clokwise View Post
    I have a very basic, cheap setup. The VCR is running into an inexpensive USB capture device I picked up on Amazon.
    You just answered your own question.
    Yep, that's exactly the issue. Cheap crappy equipment = low quality.
    Better is possible.
    Better VCR required, better capture card required.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Could also be AGC circuits are being screwed with by presence of (faux?) copy protection signal.

Some devices crap out altogether but others will still record but fluctuate the brightness, color saturation and/or sync.

If this is the case, a TBC can help.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    looks like it's losing colour lock, try and get a TBC (timebase corrector) it should solve your problem.
    The reason it looks okay on your TV is that Tv's use ACC (automatic colour control) which monitors the incoming colour signal (more precisely burst signal) and adjusts the levels accordingly, so if the burst is low (which this appears to be) it will boost the gain allowing correct colour level and also the chroma circuits to lock on the signal.
    Quote Quote