VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow!

DELL actually bowed down to the HDMI consortium and paid the fees!

Moome is the MUX-HD inventing engineer, direct all questions about it's availability to him. Purchased a used one from Canada but a new model is coming out in Taiwan to be anounced sometime next month.

Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    No need, I actually bought the later 2408FPW that does display HDCP content. But thanks for all the info. The thread you linked to doesn't mention the MUX-HD; I think I read that they quit selling it.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Steve's MUX-HD sm.jpg
Views:	3034
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	5877  

Last edited by stevon111; 3rd Mar 2011 at 19:38. Reason: Taiwan
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    The thread you linked to doesn't mention the MUX-HD; I think I read that they quit selling it.
    I think the situation is that Curte Palme and Monoprice (and any other seller in the USA) were served DMCA notices so they no longer sell or advertise them. But I suspect you can still get them from China via Moome.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stevon111 View Post
    The Haupauge Colossus and included software does NOT bypass or decrypt HDCP. I have the UVERSE Motorola VIP1200 set to max 1080i quality out HDMI port. The signal has HDCP on top of it coming out of the box. In order to view the HD video a " MUX DVI repeater" was required in between VIP1200 STB and Colossus card to see video on HTPC. VIP1200 HDMI cable to Colossus shows in WinTV7 software "No signal". So Colossus is fully compliant with HDCP as advertised. Did not try component capture.
    Stephen
    I'm kinda new to the entire scene as far as capturing from cable/DirecTV/U-Verse scene.

Does this mean it simply won't display the captured video, or does that mean that it won't even capture it period?

it seems to me that this kind of device working is more or less at the whim of your service provider, and most of them seem to want to slather DRM all over everything.

I think I might wait before I get one of these. If I'm not able to burn what I record to Blu-Ray, then it's not worth it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by CubDukat View Post
    Does this mean it simply won't display the captured video, or does that mean that it won't even capture it period?
    Without an HDCP handshake the source device will not even send the video down the cable.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can still capture your STB's output w/a Colossus if your STB has component-out...
    I'm not sure about the US, but I'm pretty sure providers here in Oz aren't allowed to sell STB's with only HDMI-out.
    Capturing via component-out is what's called exploiting the "analogue hole", as HDCP encryption doesn't apply to it.
    Some people have had success capturing via HDMI-out, but only because their cable co's STB is a bit older, & doesn't implement HDCP, yet.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    You can still capture your STB's output w/a Colossus if your STB has component-out...
    Yes. But be aware that many cable boxes will not output HDMI and component at the same time. I have to disconnect the HDMI cable any time I want to record via the component output to my Hauppauge HD PVR.
    Quote Quote  
  7. yep, how lame & sus. is that... damn evil doers...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    You can still capture your STB's output w/a Colossus if your STB has component-out...
    Yes. But be aware that many cable boxes will not output HDMI and component at the same time. I have to disconnect the HDMI cable any time I want to record via the component output to my Hauppauge HD PVR.
    I split the signal from component out to the TV and the 1212 so that I don't have to leave the 1212 on all the time (passthrough doesn't work with the 1212 turned off) and I don't use HDMI from the COX STB since Cox doesn't broadcast 1080p, there is no need to use the HDMI cable.

I use a coax to optical converter (my optical splitter wouldn't work) to send the digital audio to the 1212 and an optical cable hooked to the out but not hooked to anything else to fool the 1212 into thinking it's doing digital audio passthrough or it won't record 5.1 audio and I have the optical from the STB hooked to my receiver.

This way, I don't have to keep messing with cables every time I need to record something or leave the 1212 on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year when I only use it a few times a year. I returned the Cox DVR because I had to get up and reboot the box 15 or 20 times a week since they went to the Passport software and hardly ever had a chance to even record anything. They said in July that they're supposed to get new Hardware and software so hopefully I'll be able to get another DVR STB before football season starts or be forced to switch to Dish. I hate doing contracts though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by festmaster View Post
    I have the USB model and have found the ArcSoft software lacking, though Windows Media Center works pretty well with it. The downside is the stupid .wtv wrapper WMC puts on the recording. VideoRedo can deal with it if you upgrade to the H.264 version.
    Hey Festmaster ... I am wondering about what you said ... how do you get the Windows Media Center to work with the USB version ... is this the WMC on WIN 7 ??

I do just fine with the HD - PVR USB version ... on a WIN 7 x64 Ultimate install but how do I see it with the Media Center Edition in WIN X64
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CubDukat,

A MUX-HD will take care of the handshake and HCDP then send unencrypted HDMI signal to the Colossus HDMI in. That is the setup I am currently using to record HD Video off of the UVERSE VIP1200 STB. MUX-HD is still available from Moome in Taiwan.
    Stephen

Originally Posted by CubDukat View Post
    Without an HDCP handshake the source device will not even send the video down the cable.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    A MUX-HD will take care of the handshake and HCDP then send unencrypted HDMI signal to the Colossus HDMI in.
    Of course a Mux HD will do that. That's it's whole purpose. It's another expensive device you have to buy and you'll have to get it on the black market. It's probably illegal in the USA (DMCA, stolen HDCP keys, patent and license violations) which is why no legit vendor sells it.
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Apr 2011 at 22:47.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not illegal, you just risk getting sued if you sell lots of these in the US. The HDCP keys are provided by the chip manufacturer and are not stolen. By not re-encrypting the HDMI output, MUX-HD is only "not compliant" to HDCP certification. His other HDMI boards that insert into projectors "are compliant" because you can not use or record the un-encrypted HDMI video stream. Inserted boards directly connect to display device and meet HDCP requirements. Moome is a friend of mine who is trying to make a living in a niche market, and more power to him. MUX-HD is only liable in the USA, his device sells all over the world and other countries think the restrictions on HDMI are a joke. He has a new product the MUX-FHD with 2 HDMI outputs. Don't know the details yet, came out this month.

You do have a point though, at $285 for a MUX-HD, Cable card to record to TIVO HD might be an easier seemless solution. AT&T UVERSE does not offer a cable card as they are technically an "ISP" with streaming TV service. They don't have to provide a method to record HD content according to the FCC law taking affect in July 2011 for all "cable and satelite" providers.
    Stephen
    A MUX-HD will take care of the handshake and HCDP then send unencrypted HDMI signal to the Colossus HDMI in.
    Of course a Mux HD will do that. That's it's whole purpose. It's another expensive device you have to buy and you'll have to get it on the black market. It's probably illegal in the USA (DMCA, stolen HDCP keys, patent and license violations) which is why no legit vendor sells it.
    Last edited by stevon111; 16th Apr 2011 at 02:53. Reason: satelite
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm not sure where to ask this, but i can't get my collosus to accept an hdmi signal with a 1366x768 resolution. Showbiz freezes when accepting the signal. I have an hdmi splitter and I play my xbox 360 at my tv's native res for best performance and would like to capture at that res. Is this a driver issue or is the card just not capable of accepting that resolution on hdmi? Everything works fine if I use 720p or 1080p.
    Quote Quote  
  14. It wouldn't surprise me if the Colossus was limited to broadcast resolutions: 1280x720p60, 1920x1080i30.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The supported resolutions are listed under the "Specs and System requirements" tab here: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_colossus.html
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The supported resolutions are listed under the "Specs and System requirements" tab here: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_colossus.html
    Yes:
    • NTSC: 720p60, 1080i60, 480i60, 480p60
    • PAL: 720p50, 1080i50, 576p50, 576i50, 480p50, 480i50
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by moggisan View Post
    I'm not sure where to ask this, but i can't get my collosus to accept an hdmi signal with a 1366x768 resolution. Showbiz freezes when accepting the signal. I have an hdmi splitter and I play my xbox 360 at my tv's native res for best performance and would like to capture at that res. Is this a driver issue or is the card just not capable of accepting that resolution on hdmi? Everything works fine if I use 720p or 1080p.

My HDMI only works with Acceleration turned off but it records with lag that way,

can you tell me your PC specs Processos and Video card that you use,thanks

My Geforce 6200 does not work
    Quote Quote  
  18. HELP need to know of someone that is recording HDMI flawlessly on the Collosus,

WHat Processor, and Video card are you using.

I would like to know if I have to upgrade to a Intel i7 from a Core 2 DUO
    or do I have to get a PCIe video cards I only have a PCI video card because mu MOBO ony has 1 pCie slot

I record HDMI with lag on a Core2 DUo machine with Accelerarion turned off because on it freezes I have a Geforce 6200 NvidiaPCI onle
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thing is you do not need Intel i7, The keys things it the video card it self
    The 6200 is dog your best beat is Radeon HD 5/6000 series or GeForce G/GT series or older GeForce 9 series

This what I have but for gaming with SageTV
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Final ver
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition (OC 3.2Gz)
    Corsair XMS2 DDR2 4x2GB 8GB (CM2X2048-6400C5)
    Diamond ATI Radeon HD5850 (5850PE51G)
    Corsair CMPSU-650TX
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB
    Microsoft SideWinder Precision Racing Wheel USB
    Microsoft SideWinder Precision 2 USB
    Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
    Logitech MX400 Performance Laser Mouse
    Samsung SyncMaster 2233SW

My SageTV server which used for capture only has low end ATI HD3400 and Athlon 64 X2 6000+ it work just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Can you use this card to capture with Virtualdub, i mean for uncompressed (lagarith,huffyuv) files, as i dislike hardware forced encoding.
    I read up that there was a discussion about it, but didnīt get if it worked or not in the end;S
    And, can you use this for anything, like VCR, and the like?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zerowalker View Post
    Can you use this card to capture with Virtualdub, i mean for uncompressed (lagarith,huffyuv) files, as i dislike hardware forced encoding.
    I read up that there was a discussion about it, but didnīt get if it worked or not in the end;S
    And, can you use this for anything, like VCR, and the like?
    This card and the Hauppauge HD PVR USB don't allow anything but H.254 hardware encoding. It won't work with Virtualdub.

You probably can use the Colossus for VHS to H.264 transfers, but if it is like the competing Black Magic Intensity products, the Hauppauge HDPVR USB and the AVerTV HD DVR, it will be very sensitive to drop-outs and time base errors.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I see, to bad that it doenīs allow lossless, i donīt really see the use of this famous on-the-fly compression, i want to be the one to control the compression fully. i donīt think i am alone on this, but is there any card which is like this (HD and everything) that does support uncompressed, virtualdub etc?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by zerowalker View Post
    is there any card which is like this (HD and everything) that does support uncompressed, virtualdub etc?
    Avermedia AverTV HD DVR. Only software compression. I'm pretty sure I've seen people talk about capturing from it with VirtualDub.

http://www.amazon.com/Avertv-Definition-Analog-Capture-MTVHDDVRR/dp/B002SQE1O0
    Last edited by jagabo; 6th Aug 2011 at 20:01.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Looks like it. The picture looks to be of the same device as at Amazon.com (I added a link above).
    Quote Quote  
  25. Yeah, and same price range.
    So with this card, i can capture, analog sources (VCR, Gamecube, N64 and so on), and digital sources (Xbox 360 and such) with no problems?
    I mean, i just need to setup size and such, and pal etc.
    Guess it only applies for analog, as digital is correct from start, or am i wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, and same price range.
    So with this card, i can capture, analog sources (VCR, Gamecube, N64 and so on), and digital sources (Xbox 360 and such) with no problems?
    I mean, i just need to setup size and such, and pal etc.
    Guess it only applies for analog, as digital is correct from start, or am i wrong?
    AverTv HD is perfect for all. Record any HDCP source with Virtualdub in all resolutions. Record all consoles (RCA, Component and HDMI) with NO LAG.

For more infos go to
    here

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  27. Captain Audio, do you have this card?
    if so, how does the settings look like in virtualdub, Set format, frame size etc, for both analog and digital.

And i read that itīs impossible to capture 1080i uncompressed (1080i = 1080p30?), how about lagarith with yuv2 or something, as fraps can handle it, i donīt see a problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Captain Audio, do you have this card?
    if so, how does the settings look like in virtualdub, Set format, frame size etc, for both analog and digital.

And i read that itīs impossible to capture 1080i uncompressed (1080i = 1080p30?), how about lagarith with yuv2 or something, as fraps can handle it, i donīt see a problem.

Yes. 2 cards. My Desktop PC have one and other in my HTPC.

Never use Lagarith. Ut Video Codec (Many Tks to Jagabo for excellent tip) works flawless at 1080i (YUV2 or RGB mode). I record normal on AMARECTV or VIRTUALDUB softwares.

Theres a nothing impossible to AVERTV HD and "Ninja" drivers

Any question, reply.

Claudio is my name, Cauptain is nick
    Quote Quote  
  29. Can i call you, Captain Audio;D?
    But this makes things very interesting, if what you say is true. Sounds like a truly amazing card!;D
    The one i got now is an old relic i bought from someone, though itīs doing itīs job (first capture card i had so canīt compare).
    Hmm, Jagabo recommended Ut Video Codec, then it must be nice, he has helped me as well and is a knowledgeable person from what i graps

Can i hear comparison about Lagarith and Ut Video Codec please;D?

Also, is it high quality inputs and such, i mean, no noise from audio and video, of course there is always some, but you know;P
    i think it only matters for analog though, as i think digital is either 100% signal, or 0%. May be wrong.
    Quote Quote