VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.

Here is a page from a Sony MiniDV camcorder: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/144172/Sony-Dcr-Hc52-Hc54.html?page=34

During video recording, some metadata is being stored, that new AVCHD/HEVC camcorders unfortunately do not record.
    In my opinion, they should record metadata from all sensors and GPS too. The gravity and gyroscope sensor enables accurate post-editing digital video stabilisation, which does not need any additional CPU resources (battery energy) during video recording.

However, the MiniDV camcorders recorded specific parameters in the MiniDV metadata track (does it have a specific name? “Subcode”?)
    • Exposure
    • dB light sensitivity
    • aperture size (mostly F1.8)
    • (not sure) focussing status
    • (not sure) OIS lens position in all axisses
    • white balance status
    • (not sure) whether the settings have been performed manually or automatically
    • Status of external hardware such as flashlight, if mounted to device.
    • Recording time code.
    • Date and time, which was set to the device during video recording.410

Is there any way to digitally back up the video from the MiniDV casette and include all metadata? What is that way?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I have poor old panasonic captured through USB It supported it but it is bit slower. And in mediainfo I get in last link about video information this. Encoding settings: ae mode=full automatic / wb mode=automatic / white balance= / fcm=manual focus
    I think you can have more information there.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Newer camcorders (HDV, AVCHD, XAVC, etc) can and (some) do record such metadata, it's just that it is in a different form in a different section(s) of the file/stream. Often, it is in EXIF structure.
    Look a little harder. Not all items or formats are fully parsed by MediaInfo yet.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Scott,
    it is still miniDV, so it has to store such information same way. The medium is same. Only if is it stored somewhere else then on the tape. In internal RAM or something.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The data on DV tape follows an industry-standard format, as does the metadata (as VAUX user data bits). What gets included here is decided by the manufacturer but also depends on the model (higher usually = more info options). It is only put on the tape (there is no expectation of supplemental storage).

The best, and sometimes ONLY way, to get that data off the tape is to do a Firewire transfer (NOT usb). This is a synchronous (actually "isochronous") 1:1 data transfer. Nothing is lost. If the data doesn't exist on the captured file, it was never recorded on there in the 1st place. Of course, not most apps are designed to recognize the metadata, much less visualize/extract/operate on it.

If you want to know the exact structure of the dv format, it is an international standard, so you can look at IEC or SMPTE documents for the tape info, or Microsoft's info on the AVI computer file rendition. Then a hex editor is your friend.

Understand that things like GPS, accellerometer, etc. sensors were rarely available on consumer equipment ESPECIALLY at the time the spec was originally designed (mid/late-90s), so any additions of those things would be sporadic & slow on uptake. In fact, it wasn't until solidstate file-based recording became the norm that all the extra metadata started being expected, so you are kind of jumping the gun there.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    i can through USB get data from my camera. It is rare model, but it supported it. But I know to talk universally you are right.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah, a FireWire (IEEE1394) transfer will give you everything that's on the tape in terms of metadata. Then you need to find the tools that will read it. FFprobe is a good place to start.
    Quote Quote