VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Did you send the email to dvd2one?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i agree, that is no way to get support, and the whole legality issue is a big reason more programs like this don't pop up in its place. you can't expect users to feel sorry for someone who puts time and effort into developing something that essentially illegal under DMCA law, and you sure as hell cant expect the programs that used after DVDbackup (dvdremaster dvd2one) to share their profits. the fact that just NOW he decides to cry fowl and ask for some recognition is just stupid, when he got into developing this program (i would hope) he knew from the gate this isnt an enterprise where its easy/possible to make monetary gain, the only recognition you are likely to get is praise from your fellow users, the ones you are helping, and in the end if you decided to develop additional programs that aren't straddling this line of legality then many users will up and try their hardest to donate towards the cause...thats another thing, if you dont REQUIRE money and u ask for donations then its not exactly charging for illegal software, if you REALLY want to generate revenue through a program such as this you are going to need to do better than moaning and bitching at the authors of dvd2one till they give u monetary or any other type of recognition, it just isnt going to happen.
    As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
    drawn outside the lines of reason.
    Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Keeping in mind that Lupin's reaction has possibly been discussed out of proportion to his actual feelings, once he starts charging for his work, he's going have to fight piracy.

... trading one battle for another ...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    granted that is an issue as well.... and if lupin reads any of this im sorry to come off as harsh as i do, in addition it is true that everything here is just hearsay so it is quite possible this forum has blown what he feels way out of proportion.... i guess its hard to say w/o hearing it directly from the horses mouth.,

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I spoke with Lupin via email, and he told me he wanted [Edit: one of the following] 1) monetary support from the creators of DVD2One and DVDRemaster, 2) to sell his software commercially, or 3) to sell it as shareware, though he has no solutions for the latter two, and the first one ain't happenin'. He definitely does want some compen$ation for his efforts, though. It seems we're at an impasse, and we might start looking for other solutions, such as open sourced software we can get to compile, and simple GUI shells based around them for newbies. I'm currently working on this, and will be glad to share if I make any headway (like getting one to compile and work correctly). If anyone else could help, we might be able to get something decent (or at least useable) out pretty quickly.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think im going to change my vote on this one. It is quite selfish for Lupin to want all of that, especially the support. I wouldnt mind paying for DVDbackup, bu i am NOT going to pay 40-100$ for it, thats a lil much. I think Lupin should just release it anyways. and make it shareware, like he said.

Q
    "Good Luck 007"
    In Memory of Desmond Llewelyn
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by qshartle
    It is quite selfish for Lupin to want all of that, especially the support...bu[t] i am NOT going to pay 40-100$ for it
    How did you come up with that figure? He wants one of the points I mentioned above, not all 3, and he has yet to name any price or price range. Also, in view of the DMCA, just how do you propose he collect money for DVDBackup without giving up his identity? A solution might be for him to get a family member to accept payment for him, as I'm pretty sure it's illegal to demand someone to encriminate a family member (if I remember the 5th ammendment correctly). That would still make that family member the obvious target for lawsuits, though, and they would have to spend time and money to defend themselves. I dunno, maybe if there were companies in other countries that accept payment for private parties, and refuse to reveal their identities. Maybe a Swiss bank account or something. I've got nothing...
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry, aboot that. I was thinking it would be in the price range of Disco+. I think he should get a bank account in another country. I dunno, well just have to see what goes....
    "Good Luck 007"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Let me get this straight, when people use his software for themselves; it is free. When people use it in combination with free software; it is free. But as soon as a corporation starts using software that needs a ripping solution (not necessarily his) he wants $$$. Can somebody say selfish?

If you talk to Lupin tell him to get his head out of his <self-censored> and realize that he ain't getting no $$$ for something we DON'T need. As a matter of fact, if it was the only solution for OS X; I would boot 9 and run YADE just so I wouldn't have to deal with his fecal matter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sheesh, I know it's a silly stance for him, but there's no need to get rude He's obviously looking for a way to get compensated for his work on this app, which is perfectly reasonable. It's just that the laws in this country make it difficult, if not impossible, without having a significant legal budget to defend yourself. This crap w/ the devs of DVD2One and DVDRemaster ain't gonna fly, though, that's for damn sure. Hence our need to find good alternatives if Lupin is stopping development of DVDBackup, and OSEx isn't going to be updated for a while. Just out of curiosity, how do you know OSEx isn't going to be updated? Are you in communication with the developer (or are you the dev)? If one of those is true, it would be great to have DVD Folder mode fixed with better read error handling, to avoid munging the video, even if it's at the expense of its great speed.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i've heard from many different people (however not the developer) that 0sex is permanently out of comission. i BELIEVE the email of the developer is afaversa@buffalo.edu if you want to attempt to contact him. considering it hasnt been updated since jul-15-2002 i think there is a good chance (especially from hearing MULTIPLE people claim they know hes totally done w/ it) that he is no longer going to work w/ the program. I totally understand the desire for compensation (being a developer myself) but sometimes when there really is no percievable (under the DMCA) legitimate use for software you just gotta bite the bullet and either 1) suck it up and do it for the users/glory (not likely) or 2) discontinue the software and move on w/ your life. Okay honestly i KNOW that people want new updates to this software, but is it really a requisite for this program to be updated to get continued use out of it? im asking this as an honest question since i never use the program myself.

Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lupin could always set up one of those PayPal accounts where very generous people from the internet donate to his college fund, or his (future) kid's college fund.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    paypal isnt really possible because that would require him divulging his identity which he isnt willing to do

Quote Quote  
  13. I just checked DTOX forum and didn't find any link to Lupin's request.
    Will it go any good to address Lupin's request at the DTOX forum for all users.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know if any headway was ever made with this? Did Lupin ever respond? Did anyone ever find an alternative?

For the record, I would pay the shareware fee. And if he is outside the US, there are ways (although not the greatest) to collect money without giving up your ID.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't hold your breath
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by galactica
    I wouldn't hold your breath
    I still am though.

(tgpo has passed out from lack of oxygen)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sooooo

thats why you are all "blue"

Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i think its pretty clear if lupin wants $$ from dtox users/devs he might as well go on to whatever other ventures he wants to w/ programming b/c it aint gonna happen (its 100% asinine to ask that anyways) a replacement is bound to pop up

Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    which program is best for region free? I read the post about using ifoedit, im too lazy to do that. I need to make a copy of a dvd for my friend in japan. I might try the ifo edit thing, I am not sure. My VPC sucks balls.

Q
    "Good Luck 007"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WiseWeasel
    Just out of curiosity, how do you know OSEx isn't going to be updated? Are you in communication with the developer (or are you the dev)? If one of those is true, it would be great to have DVD Folder mode fixed with better read error handling, to avoid munging the video, even if it's at the expense of its great speed.
    I do not know personally what happened, but in the last months of "Rip Different" (if you don't know the old school version of this forum for Mac users) there was an announcement that development would be put on hold for a while. This was posted by those in contact with him, and I believe it was a personal issue. (not anything with the DMCA, etc.)

Although I could probably go over to the 3ivx forum and ask Lukifer (the old admin of "Rip Different" and early mac VCD guru), such a move would be pointless; as it doesn't change anything.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    does anyone have the command line dvd rippers? Can you tell me where to get them? or what to compile and such?

Q
    "Good Luck 007"
    Quote Quote