VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Newbie here. My apologies if this isn't the best place to post this.

My friend lives in another state and is a die-hard fan of his college alma mater, whose football games are televised live in my local area, but not his. There are sites that purportedly sell you the ability to stream numerous games on your computer, and he's tried them, but for whatever reason, he hasn't been able to get them to work (he's not lying to me...I've seen the problems he is having).

I'm trying to figure out how I can get football games on my local TV network to stream on *his* computer.

(I realize that Slingbox can do this kind of thing, but I'm trying to avoid forking over hundreds of dollars to accomplish this.)

My television is far away from my computer, but I do have an extra cable feed in the room where my computer is.

Problem 1: How to get the game on my computer?

If I have a Comcast digital cable coax feed, can I just plug it into a cheap (?) video card that supports TV/cable? The channels I'm interested in are all local (i.e., unscrambled). What's the easiest way to get my cable on my computer? (Some games may be on over-the-air local HD channels, in which case I guess I can use an USB HDTV tuner, but not all of them.)

Problem 2: If I can get the game to stream on my computer, how do I get my friend access?

I've been using the free version of LogMeIn remote software to help my family diagnose computer problems. Can my friend use the same software (or anothter free product) to hook into my PC screen?

Sorry for the long post. I'm just learning about the whole area of TV/Computer convergence. Any help is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    1. I would probably get a hauppauge usb card, http://hauppauge.com/site/products/prods_hvr_external.html

2. Use VLC Media Player to stream. It has a built in streaming wizard and several guides on the net. You can also use software like Orb, TVUBroadcast, SopCast.

But you may get legal problems if you share the stream to everyone...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. I'll take a closer look at what you've recommended.

This is definitely designed to be a "1-person" stream.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by scruffy
    If I have a Comcast digital cable coax feed, can I just plug it into a cheap (?) video card that supports TV/cable? The channels I'm interested in are all local (i.e., unscrambled). What's the easiest way to get my cable on my computer? (Some games may be on over-the-air local HD channels, in which case I guess I can use an USB HDTV tuner, but not all of them.)
    If the games are on analog cable you can use a regular analog cable tuner (ie channels 2 to 125). If they are only on digital cable channels you might be able get them with a clear QAM tuner. But most digital cable channels are usually encrypted even if the analog equivalents aren't. Only the local braodcast stations and a few others, like the local cable access channel, are likely to be available via clear QAM. Over the air broadcasts can be received with an ATSC tuner. You can usually record the analog outputs from the cable box via composite or s-video cables.

The aforementioned Hauppauge 950Q has analog cable, clear QAM, and ATSC tuners. It doesn't have the ability to record analog video from composite or s-video. The 1950 has all four.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the great info.

By the way, how do I determine whether the digital signal coming out of my cable is scrambled or not, without buying a tuner and testing it?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by scruffy
    how do I determine whether the digital signal coming out of my cable is scrambled or not, without buying a tuner and testing it?
    Do you have an HDTV with a QAM tuner? You could connect the cable from the wall directly to the HDTV and have it scan the channels. I suppose you might call the cable company and ask.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a standard definition TV. The cable comes from the wall, goes into a cable box and then from the cable box to my television.

I don't know if that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  8. A standard def TV probably doesn't have a QAM tuner. You'll have to ask your cable company or a neighbor who might know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is your internet upload bit rate? That will be the limit for quality. For VideoLan or WME, start at 320x240 with low bitrate settings and add bitrate and/or resolution until the reception at his end breaks down. Then back off.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My DSL upload rate is 384 to 512 Kbps. Given this bit rate, should I assume I can only do standard def? It would certainly save me cost/time. But if I can do HD, I'd like to give that a try.
    Quote Quote  
  11. With that low an upload rate you're going to want standard def. Lower really.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info.

I've also been considering changing my ISP and internet plan. How fast an upload rate would I need to stream HD to him?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For rebroadcasting the input without re-encode figure 10-19Mb/s (10,000-19,000Kb/s upload). Real time encoding to 1280x720p 30fps wmv-hd or h.264 would take a superfast computer or encoding hardware. Even then you would need close to 1Mb/s upload rate (figure double that for stability).

Like I said, start at 320x240 and work up until his side breaks up.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote