VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. on OS X, I am using a free tool called MP4Tools which allows me to do:

subtitle
    1. hard subtitle: subtitle is burned into the video. requires video reencoding. I can use handbrake for this function.
    2. soft subtitle: subtitle is not burned. When playing the video on something like VLC, the subtitle is selectable in the subtitle option.

video and audio:
    1. passthrough: allows the audio to be copied as is without reencoding. only possible if audio is already in a supported format like AAC
    2. reencode video into an MP4 compatible format using the bitrate selected

MP4Tools can also accept MKV files and output them into mp4 format. Like perhaps I want to convert MKV to MP4 without reencoding.

I'm hoping there is 1 tool in Windows that can do all these.

Thanks!

Edit: From what I can gather looking at the MP4Tools package, it's just a frontend to ffmpeg. So perhaps a Windows-based frontend to ffmpeg is what I'm after? (with similar functions that I listed of course)
    Last edited by mrjayviper; 16th Apr 2017 at 05:37.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hybrid can do it. Can't Handbrake add soft subtitles and reencode the video?
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Hybrid can do it. Can't Handbrake add soft subtitles and reencode the video?
    I'll check out hydrid.

Handbrake can do what you said but what if I just want to add the subtitle and not reencode video/audio? From what I've seen on Handbrake for OSX, it doesn't have an option for "passthrough".
    Quote Quote  
  4. That can be, I don't use Handbrake, which is why I asked.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    That can be, I don't use Handbrake, which is why I asked.
    -thumbs up-

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by mrjayviper View Post
    on OS X, I am using a free tool called MP4Tools which allows me to do:

subtitle
    1. hard subtitle: subtitle is burned into the video. requires video reencoding. I can use handbrake for this function.
    2. soft subtitle: subtitle is not burned. When playing the video on something like VLC, the subtitle is selectable in the subtitle option.

video and audio:
    1. passthrough: allows the audio to be copied as is without reencoding. only possible if audio is already in a supported format like AAC
    2. reencode video into an MP4 compatible format using the bitrate selected

MP4Tools can also accept MKV files and output them into mp4 format. Like perhaps I want to convert MKV to MP4 without reencoding.

I'm hoping there is 1 tool in Windows that can do all these.

Thanks!

Edit: From what I can gather looking at the MP4Tools package, it's just a frontend to ffmpeg. So perhaps a Windows-based frontend to ffmpeg is what I'm after? (with similar functions that I listed of course)
    Hey buddy, just came across your post and noticed you were looking for a tool I came across last night:

My MP4Box GUI is a Graphical User Interface for the well-known command line tool mp4box. My MP4Box GUI, like mp4box, is freeware. MP4Box is an MP4 muxer. It can import MPEG-4 video (H.264 or ASP, encoded for example with x264, DivX, Xvid, 3ivx or FFmpeg) and audio streams into the MP4 container. The end result is ISO compliant MP4 streams. It can also produce MPEG-4 Timed Text streams by importing subtitles formats such as srt. It can also split MP4 files into sections, which can be useful when transferring files to portable media players. Join and Split.

Enjoy!!
    Quote Quote