VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I never used a DVD burner before. Today i received my Sony DRu500AX drive and now i'm trying to burn my document (not video) files which is roughly 4GB in size.

I'm using Nero Express the latest one. The Burn is set to 2.4x speed but it is taking too long.

In one full hour of burning it is only increasing 5%? So i'm estimating 100% would take 20hours????

Does it take this long to burn a DVD Data?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yea --- something really fubared
    Quote Quote  
  3. I need a reply soon, please.

Do i have to Format a New DVD+R media before burning? I'm burning the files off the new secondary Slave 120Gb (2mb cache) hard drive.

Please tell me if i'm doing something wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You only format dvd+/-rw's like cdrw's. As far as time goes yes it's toooo long. Some people have had luck with dma turned on with there drives and some people have had lockups and selected pio mode on there drives. I have a Pioneer dvd-a04 model and dma enabled and it is faster than what you have. I guess you have to try different settings on your system. I am using Nero InCD. Sorry I can't help more.

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanx, I didn't install DMA on purpose. I don't need a "Floppy Disk like drag'n drop" functionality.

Originally Posted by gf
    I have a Pioneer dvd-a04 model and dma enabled and it is faster than what you have.
    Steve
    But 20 hours of DVD burning is way too ridiculous. I read that new 4x burns movie DVD under 15 minutes. So 2x should take like 30 mins right?

How long does yours take to burn full 4.7 DVD?

I checked my nero again and it says 8% since 1 hour and 50 minutes.
    Should i cancel it?
    Quote Quote  
  6. You definitely have a configuration problem - at 2.4x a disc should take maybe half an hour. Try the SOny as the master on your second IDE interface and have the hard drive on the first IDE interface. Make sure jumpers are set for primary & secondary correctly. Etc.
    Panasonic DMR-ES45VS, keep those discs a burnin'
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bayaraa_us
    Thanx, I didn't install DMA on purpose. I don't need a "Floppy Disk like drag'n drop" functionality.

Originally Posted by gf
    I have a Pioneer dvd-a04 model and dma enabled and it is faster than what you have.
    Steve
    But 20 hours of DVD burning is way too ridiculous. I read that new 4x burns movie DVD under 15 minutes. So 2x should take like 30 mins right?

How long does yours take to burn full 4.7 DVD?

I checked my nero again and it says 8% since 1 hour and 50 minutes.
    Should i cancel it?
    DMA is a transfer function of your IDE buss - nothing to do w/ floppy disk type functionality ...

i dont even bother to format dvd-rw disks .. though i read somewhere your supposed to ... never had a problem ..
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ok, Finally good news.
    After hour and a half of messing around with drives, opening PC case to make sure the jumper is in correct place and installing de-installing softwares i get it to work.

Actually it was one simple thing which is i installed the very latest update for Nero Burning Rom. I forgot the version number. So now everything burns under 30mins.

Thanks guys for your help.

However i cannot install Power DVD XP that came with the drive, strange.
    It says i can only install it with Sony DVD-Rom drive???
    Quote Quote