VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Bought my wife a Barnes & Noble Color NOOK ebook reader for Christmas . . . .

It supports the following video file formats: 3gp, 3g2, mp4, m4v; MPEG-4 Simple Profile up to 854x480; H.263 up to 352x288; H.264 Baseline profile up to 854x480. This includes Nero Digital Standard files, a nice surprise.

And, according to various sources, B&N plans an OS upgrade in 2011 that will make the NOOK more like a tablet. It currently runs a version of Android 2.1 that severely limits the addition of aps; e.g., can't put Flash on it yet, and there's no "Market" option for aps. B&N is supposedly working on a "market" option as part of the upgrade.

Nice device.
    Last edited by CobraPilot; 26th Sep 2011 at 12:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wow I did not know it played video. I thought it was text only.

I have a question:

Does it play plain old .txt files? I mean like if you downloaded some fan fiction stories off of websites and that sort of thing? If so does it make paragraphs legible instead of all garbled?

Does it play html files if you downloaded web pages?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Text files: Yes, but I haven't tried it as far as re-flowing text.

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/nook-color.html

Yes, it has a web browser, but, as I mentioned, it doesn't yet support flash video so you can't watch, for example, YouTube videos. Flash support is supposedly due this year. If/when that happens, the NOOK will be, as one online source mentioned, something of an iPad "Lite" but not really all that "Lite" in its capabilities.

I haven't tried to download a webpage with the NOOK yet; just used it as a "live" browser.

It's supposed to have an 8-hour duration for constant use. Will be evaluating that on an upcoming overseas flight.
    Last edited by CobraPilot; 14th Jan 2011 at 21:04. Reason: Clarification.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it gets flash thats an ipad beater in the sense apple doesn't like flash. It might not be quite as powerful as a ipad but with flash that could tip the odds in its favor.

I wonder what weaker knock off nooks can do in regard to simple txt files and saved html files.

Thanks for the review cobrapilot.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. B&N Nook Color upgrade is now available, resulting in a tablet akin to an "iPad Lite," as was forecast by various sources.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/
    Last edited by CobraPilot; 9th May 2011 at 01:25. Reason: Added link.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cobrapilot
    resulting in a tablet akin to an "iPad Lite,
    Actually its better since it has adobe flash. Its also a heck of a lot cheaper than motorolas xoom. Though I think its about the price of a samsung galaxy isn't it?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Nook Color retails for $249.99. (Per above link)

Galaxy Tab (Wifi only, same as Nook Color) retails for $349.99.
    http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/GT-P1010CWAXAR
    Quote Quote  
  8. I was thinking about buying the old model with 3G for $99 .I wonder if it's the same - the color
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been running CM7 (Cyanogenmod) on my nook color for about a month now. It was extremely simple to install, and now I have access to the full android market. I have been very impressed with the dev community at xda-developers with what they have done with it. They have even modified the kernel to support bluetooth. It can't get much better than that for $250.
    Quote Quote  
  10. New OS upgrade to v. 1.3:

Print subscribers to People, Time, Sports Illustrated, and Fortune get free NOOK editions of those magazines.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nookcolor-support-software-update/379002520/
    Quote Quote