VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So this is a strange question. I've got a number of videos in barely-SD (320 x 240 to be exact). There's a ton of them and rather than burn them onto a gaggle of DVD-Rs, I'd like to stuff them all onto one or two Blu Rays. So here's the issue: my Blu Ray authoring software (Leawo Blu Ray Creator) will re-encode the files for HD before the burn, changing them to 1920x1080. Of course they look horrible. And OF COURSE, I'm aware that they weren't going to look good anyway making the jump onto an HD television. But the thing is, I have the ability to watch an SD video in "native" format on my TV. Essentially it just zooms our so the video displays on the screen in it's proper resolution - it just doesn't fill the screen. This is how I'd prefer to have the video. SD 320/240 videos but on a blu ray and not re-encoded to full HD. So how do I do that? I had the idea to bring them into After Effects and windowbox them at 1920/1080, but that will take forever. Is there an easier way? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe just burn them as data, no authoring or menu's. Then again you may as well just put them on a good quality memory stick. The other way would be to add padding either side and top and bottom of the original so they became like a "postage stamp" image within a 1920 x 1080 frame. Many editors can do that.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks. That's what I meant by window boxing. I think data is the way to go.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Blu-ray doesn't support low resolutions like 320x240. The best thing for you to do is get a Blu-ray player with a built in media player (most modern players have this, maybe the player you have has this). You can then burn all your videos onto a Blu-ray data disc and play them. If you have a large collection you can forget about Blu-ray players and get a standalone media player. Android TV boxes sell for as little as US$35 and are fine playing video files from an external USB drive or network share.

Whether or not particular media players will play the videos full screen or at their native size (or maybe with a user controllable zoom) you'll have to research. My old LG Blu-ray player, cheap Android TV player and Raspberry Pi all play files full screen with letterboxing or pillarboxing to retain aspect ratio. That's fine with me because little of my collection is 640x480 or larger.
    Quote Quote