VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I run Win2k SP4 on a Pentium 4 machine with an HDA X-Mystique 7.1 Gold sound card (has Toslink I/O). I used to be able to play DTS-encoded audio tracks through this card's S/PDIF link to an external surround receiver (with in-built DTS decoding). Since a major crash requiring complete reinstallation of Win2k and all my applications, DTS tracks will no longer play correctly (just the usual white-noise that you get when decoding fails).

I thought I might be missing some codec that I had previously installed, so went searching for what I might need. The most common recommendation was AC3filter plus FFDSHOW. I've installed AC3filter, but still no joy.

On trying to install the latest FFDSHOW (4342_20120228_clsid) it told me it required Win XP or later. I found the page on this site with older versions available, but frustratingly it didn't say which versions would work with Win2k! So by trial and error I downloaded and tried a few versions until I came to ffdshow_rev3925_20110709_clsid.

However, on trying to install this version, the error I now receive is "This build of ffdshow requires Windows 2000 or newer", then goes on to tell me which was the last version for 98/ME! What gives? I have Win2k, so why this error message??

Can anyone help me, please?

Rgds, Daniel
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Regarding DTS playback especifically:

AC3Filter 1.46 should work fine under Windows 2000,
    IF you configure the filter correctly, bien entendu.

As for ffdshow... well... with or without it,
    make sure you have installed the latest DirectShow package for Windows 2000.
    Anyway, many ( perhaps ¿ most ?) up-to-date DS codecs don't care about any Windows below XP w/ Service Pack 3,
    and there ain't much we can do against that.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 9th Mar 2012 at 08:38.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No, I wont add a third column to our ffdshow tools old version downloads with windows support information. And don't give ffdshow 1/10 just because of that.

Maybe an old version of VLC would work also.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Search for ffdshow compiled only with gcc and without msvc2010 - lot of issues related to ffdshow on win2k is related to compiler not ffdshow http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    pandy,

Many thanks for that tip. I downloaded that version you linked, and the installer ran without complaint. However, when I clicked 'Browse' to change the install location, it froze my PC (and Task Manager couldn't stop it, so I had to reboot). On my second attempt (after rebooting), I just pasted my preferred location into the install path, and that worked.

Unfortunately ffdshow didn't solve my DTS problem, but that's (and the install bug) not your fault! At least I've been able to cross one more possibility off my 'things to try' list. Many thanks for your help.

Baldrick,

Sorry about the low ratings in my ffdshow comment. But the form indicated that the ratings were compulsory, so I had no choice but to give it a rank based on my experience at that stage, which was that it didn't even install, so zeroes all round. If you have any influence on the programming of that comment page, you might like to have N/A (not applicable) added to the choices. But it sounds like you're not interested in site improvements, so I'm probably wasting my time with feedback here.

Rgds, Daniel
    (Gerroa, Australia)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Searching for knowledge. trodas's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like things get only worser - the latest I found is (for Windows 2000 SP4) is FFdshow
    ffdshow_beta7_rev3154_20091209.exe
    ...however that install and work on my older machine just fine. It would be great to know what is the latest FFdshow for W2k and mainly why new versions aren't supporting it.
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :) my config
    Quote Quote  
  7. Searching for knowledge. trodas's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, mate, FFdshow rev 4043_20111118 is working fine on W2k! Hooray!
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :) my config
    Quote Quote