VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am a bit confused as to how the cropping in Handbrake works. I had posted another thread about converting video and got a fair amount of advice, so tried using Handbrake to do what I wanted at that time and it worked very well. The auto cropping did a very good job. I then wanted to try using cropping to remove the black bars at the top and bottom of a video so I could see how it worked. I tried several settings for the top and bottom such as 30, 40, 50, 60 but it made no difference on the output. I actually started with 60 and worked backwards, and I used 60 as that is what the auto function in handbrake used to remove a black border around the entire video I had as I said it worked great, but no matter what manual setting I chose it made no difference in the output.

I also have a couple of movies that were in 16:9 format and when I ripped them with Handbrake it converted them to what appears to be 4:3 but now the video is squished from side to side. There are black bars on both sides and don't know what to change in handbrake to get the 16:9 output back. On the dimensions tab it shows storage is 714x478 and display as 635x478. I couldn't seem to find a way to change it.

I would appreciate if someone could tell me what I may be doing wrong or why handbrake appears to be changing the aspect ratio of the 16:9 video.

Thank you
    Last edited by jackdup; 1st Aug 2019 at 20:30.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by jackdup View Post
    I am a bit confused as to how the cropping in Handbrake works. I had posted another thread about converting video and got a fair amount of advice, so tried using Handbrake to do what I wanted at that time and it worked very well. The auto cropping did a very good job. I then wanted to try using cropping to remove the black bars at the top and bottom of a video so I could see how it worked. I tried several settings for the top and bottom such as 30, 40, 50, 60 but it made no difference on the output. I actually started with 60 and worked backwards, and I used 60 as that is what the auto function in handbrake used to remove a black border around the entire video I had as I said it worked great, but no matter what manual setting I chose it made no difference in the output.
    Probably because the player is adding back black borders to fill the screen when you play full screen. Play them in a window and you'll see the difference.
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Jul 2019 at 21:54.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can no one offer any assistance for the issue mentioned in the second paragraph?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried Vidcoder, uses the Handbrake engine, but the GUI is a little easier to navigate
    and understand
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jackdup View Post
    Can no one offer any assistance for the issue mentioned in the second paragraph?
    Apparently Handbrake misidentified the source as 4:3. You can force it to 16:9: turn off Keep Aspect Ratio, Set Anamorphic:None, set a 16x9 frame size like 856x480, encode.
    Last edited by jagabo; 1st Aug 2019 at 22:09.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Have you tried Vidcoder, uses the Handbrake engine, but the GUI is a little easier to navigate
    and understand
    I haven't but I will now, thank you
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by jackdup View Post
    Apparently Handbrake misidentified the source as 4:3. You can force it to 16:9: turn off Keep Aspect Ratio, Set Anamorphic:None, set a 16x9 frame size like 856x480, encode.
    I will give that a try, thank you
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found everything except how to set a 16x9 frame so would appreciate if you can tell me how to do that. I could only go as high as 720x480 as it wouldn't allow anything higher.
    Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found everything except how to set a 16x9 frame so would appreciate if you can tell me how to do that. I could only go as high as 720x480 as it wouldn't allow anything higher.
    Thank you
    Here's a couple of images from Vidcoder. The first is the default sizing screen with anamorphic selected, allowing for
    non-square pixels. You can see that the Output storage resolution (actual pixels) and display resolution (display size) are different.

In the second image I turned off anamorphic and hard coded a width of 852. Now the output shows a size of 852x364,
    the storage and display dimensions are the same.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vc1.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	49708  

Click image for larger version

Name:	vc2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	49709  

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Thank you
    Here's a couple of images from Vidcoder. The first is the default sizing screen with anamorphic selected, allowing for
    non-square pixels. You can see that the Output storage resolution (actual pixels) and display resolution (display size) are different.

In the second image I turned off anamorphic and hard coded a width of 852. Now the output shows a size of 852x364,
    the storage and display dimensions are the same.
    Can the same not be done in Handbrake. and if so how?
    Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jackdup View Post
    Handbrake goes out of it's way to prevent you from increasing the frame size. It used to be possible to override that by selecting Presets -> Reset Built-In Presets. But that doesn't seem to work in newer releases.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake goes out of it's way to prevent you from increasing the frame size. It used to be possible to override that by selecting Presets -> Reset Built-In Presets. But that doesn't seem to work in newer releases.
    Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  13. Newbie Enthusiast PixelHunter's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    XMedia Recode does very well in cropping and does not create black borders. It is free and has many other filters/features.

Be sure to use the bitrate calculator in preferences to keep the file close-ish to the original size. I always add 10mb to accommodate the changes.
    Last edited by PixelHunter; 4th Aug 2019 at 16:20.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PixelHunter View Post
    XMedia Recode does very well in cropping and does not create black borders. It is free and has many other filters/features.

Be sure to use the bitrate calculator in preferences to keep the file close-ish to the original size. I always add 10mb to accommodate the changes.
    Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PixelHunter View Post

Thank you
    I tried installing it and reinstalling it and get this error. Any idea why?

Thank youClick image for larger version

Name:	ERROR-2.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	49758
    Quote Quote  
  16. Newbie Enthusiast PixelHunter's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, I haven't had that problem. Try using the opposite version ie portable instead of installed or vce versa. Maybe try the 32bit version instead of x64 as well. Other than that I am out of ideas. Normally, I use XMR for some aspects of colour correction and colour curves but use Filmora 9 for cropping but that is a paid program.
    Quote Quote