VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What would be the best quality between bluray to DVD5 and DVD9 to DVD5?

I tried BD50 to x265 then to DVD5 and quality is pretty bad so are the colors.

I am pretty sure DVD9 to DVD5 is still the best option but I still wish there is a good way to set a BD25 or BD50 into DVD5 for good quality.
    Last edited by granol; 17th Jul 2017 at 13:42.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What??!!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by granol View Post
    I tried BD50 to x265 then to DVD5 and quality is pretty bad...
    What was the point of that, to use an extra and quality degrading step.
    ...so are the colors
    You have to take into account the change in the colorimetry from hi-def to std-def. Did you say how you performed this conversion? Of course any DVD is going to look like crap compared to a good Blu-Ray but maybe try AvsToDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by granol View Post
    I tried BD50 to x265 then to DVD5 and quality is pretty bad...
    What was the point of that, to use an extra and quality degrading step.
    ...so are the colors
    You have to take into account the change in the colorimetry from hi-def to std-def. Did you say how you performed this conversion? Of course any DVD is going to look like crap compared to a good Blu-Ray but maybe try AvsToDVD.
    I used ripbot to make an mkv x265 small enough so that the size would fit on a DVD5 and then I just used the DVDFab "mkv to DVD feature" but yes I understand it's better to start from the source
    Quote Quote  
  5. Gracias

but I wanna know what people think about let's say what's better in term of quality image for original Logan Bluray movie to Dvd5 versus original Logan Dvd movie to dvd 5... maybe it's more clear like this.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    What would be the best quality between bluray to DVD5 and DVD9 to DVD5?
    BluRay to DVD9. But you'll lose quality.

I tried BD50 to x265 then to DVD5 and quality is pretty bad so are the colors.
    No surprise.

I am pretty sure DVD9 to DVD5 is still the best option but I still wish there is a good way to set a BD25 or BD50 into DVD5 for good quality.
    DVD9 to DVD5 is not the best solution. And, no, there's no good way to set high bitrate BluRay to lower resolution/lower bitrate DVD.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    You can convert Blu-ray to DVD5 in BD Rebuilder. You'll need to change the default output. Or you can do it in AVStoDVD, which isn't hard to do if the main movie is in one M2TS file. Use the HC encoder in a two pass mode.

Quality is going to suffer no matter what. You're reducing resolution and using lower bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Actually, what is your question? The DVD Video Specification calls for using the MPEG-2 codec. AVC (used in Blu-ray) is a more efficient encoder. Given the same file size, the AVC encoded video will be superior to the MPEG-2 encoded video.
    Is your question "What source to start with?" The answer is the Blu-ray.
    Is your question "Can this video/movie ever look good in a DVD5 sized file?" Depends on the source video.
    Just a thought...What are you doing with the audio? If you just pass through a 5.1 or 7.1 audio stream you will be leaving almost no kilobytes for the video.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Before the prices of BD-Rs came down and before I had a BD burner, I converted a number of discs from BD to DVD-5 or DVD-9. I used BDRebuilder and got amazingly good results. Truthfully, the DVD-9's were almost indistinguishable from the original BD unless you were looking very carefully for defects. The DVD-5's were not quite as good but were still way better than a purchased DVD.

SMK
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No I think what s/he is trying to ask is: "does losing 90% of great look better than losing 40% of good?"

Depends on the # of intermediate steps, the actual amount of loss, the quality of the algorithms, and the nature of the source material(s), esp. in its editing/motion/detail/complexity.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To be honest, I'm not sure what the OP was trying to do.

SMK
    Quote Quote