VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a capture card which I have captured a couple of my old Hi8 tapes to disk in one piece chunks.

There are several subjects on there - boats / holidays / birthdays and I want to split these up into small films and join them to other ones later when I have captured all my other 200+ tapes to disk.

I've not seen any of them for 15 years so who knows how much junk there is on them.

What I would like to do is highlight a range of film - (say 1 min to 2 min) and then have the option to save this selection to a new seperate film file.

The problem with all the editors I have seen is that the do not appear to let you select a portion of a film at a time and save seperately, they need to cut off the start and end. I need to be able to maintain the original file intact and simply copy selections out of it to seperate files.

Now I am on a tight budget, but if the right software becomes known I'll pay but I need to try it out first to see it if it's what I want.

The question is - what's the best piece of software I can obtain for a reasonable cost?

Thank you in advance

Terry
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The solution is easy.

Create a copy of your capture and then use one of the editors you already tried - avidemux can do it - to create the trim.

If you want to go the paid route and do this with out the copy - just remember when you create to use a different filename - the Corel Video Studio or Vegas Movie Studio will do this with ease. You could probably pick up an older version of one of these quite cheaply as long as you are just editing SD video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. For MPGs, MPEG2Cut2.

For AVIs, VDub (In Direct Stream Copy Mode).
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm not sure I understand your problem but isn't what you want what programs like

AviDemux, Free Video Dub, Mpg2Cut2, Mpeg Cutter, MPEGStreamClip, Fast AVI MPEG Splitter, AVI Splitter ...

does?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I downloaded the Sony Movie Studio but cannot see how to save a selection of video from a whole tape of clips.

If anyone has dummy guide instructions I would be ever so glad.

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With the Sony programs, all trimming is done in the 'Trimmer' window. You load your clip there and not the main time-line.

Detailed instructions ? That is what the manual is for.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Vegas does it well. The term you want is "subclip."
    Quote Quote