VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been trying ti find a program to just 'join' (merge, combine) two videos files from the same DVD that were split and already converted to mp4 files.

I've tried MP4 Tools, but no thanks to the author, there was nothing on his website to warn that this is anti AMD, Wintel only.
    Then I tried VLC Player, but that didn't work, it did whatever it does to the 1st file then quits, never starting the 2nd. I tried that more than once.

Now, I'm tiring to use Format Factory, but I see no way to name the output file beforehand. Only after the process which is lame. There are a few other programs I plan on trying, but want to see if I can get this issue solved.

Anyone know how to name the output before starting the process??
    Why are ones and zeros so complicated? Linear Video Editing was easier. Downloading & streaming are two different things.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is a very long and painful process, to make it happen you need to go old school with GordianKnot, do all process by yourself. Decrypt the discs with DVDDecrypter or something else, use DGMPGDec to generate your two d2v file, create your avs script, load both videos and trim them both until they have a perfect transition. Once that is good, you have to extract, sync and convert you audio before you put everything together.

That right there will teach anyone to men up a little, to grow a pair or something. Then you realize that Jesus doesn't like you very much, specially if you want synced subs with that.
    The whole process is a pain in the ass, I did for my "The Green Mile" 2 DVD set at the time and it was an experience I don't want to repeat EVER again, it might be easy to people that know avisynth scripting, it wasn't my case.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its' a "long and painful process" to have the ability of naming the output file within the program???
    Why are ones and zeros so complicated? Linear Video Editing was easier. Downloading & streaming are two different things.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If nobody answered you by now it's because it is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I use for this case Adobe Premiere to merge many video clips in one file
    Quote Quote  
  6. If all you are trying to do is merge two MP4 files, there is nothing difficult or painful inolved with doing that. I have no idea where that is coming from, although perhaps I don't understand what you're trying to do.

For free, use ffmpeg. You can merge dozens of files in a folder as follows:

Code:
    Merge (combine concatenate) all files in a folder

You have to make a list of files for each dir that consists of a text file (e.g., filelist.txt) in this format:

file 'e:\drone\DJI_0008_1.MP4'
    file 'e:\drone\DJI_0008_2.MP4'

(make sure to include the apostrophe and the word "file"; may not need to include full path)

Then you just run ffmpeg with this syntax:

ffmpeg -f concat -i filelist.txt -c copy merged.mp4
    There is simpler syntax for doing just 2-3 files which you can find simply by searching on "ffmpeg concatenate".

If you want a nice user interface and can spend a few dollars, VideoRedo works great.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    If all you are trying to do is merge two MP4 files, there is nothing difficult or painful involved with doing that..
    Except that his two files have different resolutions. He didn't like the answers he already got, and is hoping for something better here:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176253
    Quote Quote  
  8. Oh, I missed the part about different resolutions. My bad.

It still isn't difficult, but he'll have to re-encode. Just use an NLE and be done with it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At $100US yes, VideoReDo is nice, but the price isn't. As far as Adobe (anything) for $600US it should do any and everything hands off.
    None of this is professional editing material.
    Quote Quote