VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All

I have a 1080p video, 2hrs long, 5.1 channel audio and is a 5GB size TS file. I want to convert it to 720p MP4 format and reduce its file size to about 900 mb - 1GB ( if possible). I don't mind the audio to be converted to stereo to reduce its size. I also want to edit / cut some scenes out of it ( adverts).
    I have used Cyberlink Powerdirector 12, but video and audio get out of sinc and cant really find way to reduce its size using this program. Plus it takes over 2 hours to convert. - is this normal.
    Are there any FAST converters out there that can help with the above.

Ive also used handbrake - but cannot cut scenes.. and HD Video converter ( wonderfox)- but this is taking nearly 3 hours.

Thanks for your help.
    You won't know, until you ask
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use Avidemux to cut the commercials; you can cut on i frames only (use the up and down arrow keys
    in the program to navigate to them) but it may be accurate enough.

Leave video and audio as "copy" (on the left)
    Save output format as mpeg TS muxer. Save the file and re-encode it in Handbrake or Vidcoder.

Use the very fast preset and set CRF between 20 - 22. This is a reasonable setting.
    Encode and check the size
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi davexnet

Thanks for your reply. i shall give this a go.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Davexnet

The file size and quality is good, but the audio is slightly out of sync. Can any settings help? I am trying the fast preset in Handbrake to see if resolves, but this is taking over 2 hours to re-encode.
    Quote Quote  
  5. mukeshs: What kind of processor do you have in your computer? I have an i5 and it would probably take me about a hour maybe less to encode that video. When you have edited the video before you attempt to shrink it down to 720p does it have any audio sync issues? I have found I have audio sync issues is I shrink video and pass through the original audio stream to combine with that new video. Also are you sure that the original video is not 1080i instead of 1080p; that could explain why it is taking 2 hours to process as it is converting to progressive from interlaced as I have found that takes more time to do. Perhaps you could try a trial version of videoredo to edit your video. I am glad you are using the CRF method as that makes a huge difference in video quality because it gives your action scenes the bitrate they need to look decent. If you had just set a target size I don't think you would have been pleased when it came to an action scene. I use Vidcoder which is based on Handbrake as I find it easier to understand. The terrific thing is once you have found the right settings you can save a preset but I am sure Handbrake allows you that as well. Maybe you should do a media info for the original file, the edited file before shrink and finally your 720p encode and it will be useful for people to give you some additional help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tom Saurus

Thank you for your detailed response. Very helpful. I am using a laptop i5 processor to do this work. Not sure if the video is 1080i or 1080p. I thought it was 1080p. Media info only states 1920 by 1080, so assumed it was full HD. Having trialed and error on Handbrake, I kept the Audio bit rate at 384kbps and video at 30 fps ( These figures were the same as the original) and this appears to have rectified the video and audio sync, albeit that that file size is 1.2GB and only took an hour to encode. Where as previously with the sync issue the file was 900 MB. 1.2 Gb is Ok for me. Quality is just as good. I shall try Vidcoder too.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can also try VOB2MPG. It will leave you with an MPG file that you can then put into Vidcoder and save it in either an MP4 or MKV at any size you want. Go into Encoding: settings. Select Picture & select what ever you want (you might want to keep original). Then select Video and keep Video Codec at H.264 and Framerate at same as source.
    Use either Target size or Average bitrate for the size you want. Then select Audio to set the audio output you want. It may take a couple of tries to get exactly what you want, but after a couple of times you'll end up with what you want. It's now my go to converter. Any questions, just ask.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All

I have used Handbrake to convert the TS file to MP4 and transferred the file to my USB to play on TV. But on the video, at certain scenes, i get a static, popping, cracking like sound in the audio. This does not appear when i play the video on the computer, and one of my other tv's. I have tried various settings to change the audio but still get the same sound. When i use Freemake video Converter or AVC, to convert the same clip, i do not get the interference sound. So think it might have something to do with the settings in Handbrake. Any suggestions re settings to correct this or know what it may be.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mukeshs View Post
    Hi All

I have used Handbrake to convert the TS file to MP4 and transferred the file to my USB to play on TV. But on the video, at certain scenes, i get a static, popping, cracking like sound in the audio. This does not appear when i play the video on the computer, and one of my other tv's. I have tried various settings to change the audio but still get the same sound. When i use Freemake video Converter or AVC, to convert the same clip, i do not get the interference sound. So think it might have something to do with the settings in Handbrake. Any suggestions re settings to correct this or know what it may be.

Thanks.
    Use mediainfo in text view to compare the properties of the two audio streams
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I've attached the text files, but not sue what i am looking for. I converted the 5.1 sound to stereo. Thought it would save space of file. Could this be the issue?
    Original video.txt
    Test video.txt
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mukeshs View Post
    Hi
    I've attached the text files, but not sue what i am looking for. I converted the 5.1 sound to stereo. Thought it would save space of file. Could this be the issue?
    [Attachment 48374 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 48375 - Click to enlarge]
    You converted the audio in Handbrake ? It should be fine; down converting the channels
    doesn't usually cause a problem. Perhaps take a look at the audio in Audacity
    see if there is any clipping or other anomalies
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've checked the audio on both clips in Wavepad sound editor and they seem identical. I've now changed the Audio Codec from AAC (avcodec) to AAC Passthru and it has worked. No interference. Albeit the size of file is a little larger keeping it Dolby Digital. i shall do a bit more trialing. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All. Re Handbrake: i have read many different comments concerning best settings to convert files.

[Attachment 48418 - Click to enlarge]

i have the attached video properties i am trying to convert and compress.
    Under the Video Tab, I am confused whether i should be using the FPS as Same as Source & which setting 'Variable' or 'Constant'..or with the present 25 or 30 given and which setting 'Constant' or 'Peak'.
    Under the Audio Tab, does changing the Bit rate from the default of 160 to a higher or lower make any difference to the audio. The output audio i target will be in Stereo.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to this official doc. choosing "same as source" fps with variable makes the new frame rate
    identical to the original
    https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/technical/frame-rates.html
    Also see this thread about why Handbrake mp4 encodes show up as variable frame rate in mediainfo
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/379834-constant-variable-frame-rate-confusion-again
    The response from jagabo explains it. In practical usage that small amount of jitter is nothing to worry about

160 kbps aac audio is chosen as default because it's a good compromise between size and quality -
    I would leave it there
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    davexnet.
    Thank you for your replies. Very useful indeed.
    Quote Quote