VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Everyone,

I am trying to digitalize the old 8mm tapes. Equipment I am using:
    Sony HandyCam CCD-TR411E PAL --> RCA Cables --> EasyCAP --> USB

I managed to capture the input video and sound, but I cannot find the proper setup for the proper video quality.
    Since I am living in Central Europe, Hungary, I would assume I need to pick some of the PAL settings from the dropdown.
    [Attachment 52979 - Click to enlarge]

I have chosen PAL_D first, the image and the colors are fine, but sometimes (not always) the top of the image is blinking/flickering. Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjddNFGks-A

I have tried PAL_N, there everything is fine, except the colors are lost. Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvY2wtKckwo

I know that EasyCAP is not providing the best quality, but I would assume that with the right settings you can have something that has colours and not blinking.

Can someone elighten me about what is wrong with this, and what should be the correct settings?
    Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pal D would be correct unless the camera had recorded in a Secam variant also common for Eastern Europe. Then you would use Secam-D instead.

But assuming the correct recorded source your issue really is the easycap or easycrap as it is usually referred to around here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Pal D would be correct unless the camera had recorded in a Secam variant also common for Eastern Europe. Then you would use Secam-D instead.

But assuming the correct recorded source your issue really is the easycap or easycrap as it is usually referred to around here.
    Indeed it is not too good . Would you have any recommendation from the lower price category for this purpose?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you also tried PAL-I or PAL-B/G ?

I use a Haupauge USB Live-2. Their own capture software just has 'PAL' but you can use it with virtualdub to select a PAL variant.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Have you also tried PAL-I or PAL-B/G ?

I use a Haupauge USB Live-2. Their own capture software just has 'PAL' but you can use it with virtualdub to select a PAL variant.
    Yes, I have tried all of the PAL settings. I have just ordered a new, more expensive device, hoping that it was just because EasyC(r)ap. Will give here an update in a couple of weeks after I try the new stuff. Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

Just as a heads up, I have ordered another device, the captured video quality seems to be good with this one. So it was EasyC(r)ap
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ther89 View Post
    Hello,

Just as a heads up, I have ordered another device, the captured video quality seems to be good with this one. So it was EasyC(r)ap
    I think that I have the same problem
    Can you provide the details about your older easycap (it’s the sm 007 version)?
    And can you provide details about The newer and better easycap (photo or link or description, etc.).

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samuelcarreira View Post
    newer and better easycap
    That's an oxymoron. No such item exists.

You misread what he wrote. Also some ESL/translation issues.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by samuelcarreira View Post
    Originally Posted by ther89 View Post
    Hello,

I think that I have the same problem
    Can you provide the details about your older easycap (it’s the sm 007 version)?
    And can you provide details about The newer and better easycap (photo or link or description, etc.).

Thank you
    The latter one I have is this from Aliexpress
    This appears as 'ezcap Video Grabber' in the Device Manager and is version 1.0.1.1 from 2013-07-07.

The former one looks like this.
    Displays as 'SMI Grabber Device' in Device Manager and is version 1.08.28 from 2011-01-26.
    It also says 'Model No. DC-60' on its CD.
    As you mentioned the 'version sm 007' I'm quite sure I was googling for information using this term but I cannot recall where I get this from.

After the failure with the first one, I just aimed for ordering a different built up type (even tho it is using the same chip).

Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much ther89. I have a similar easycap device and I think that is a complete garbage, so to anyone who wants to buy a low cost device, please stay away of that models. And of course if you can spend a little more, buy a decent capture (like a hauppauge 610 usb-live 2)

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    In the end, I bought another type of EasyCap from Aliexpress. Everything works properly out of the box with this guy.
    [Attachment 63139 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote