VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I have to embed closed captions (CEA-608) in MPEG2 format. Not a sidecar file or burned in. This isn't possible in premiere pro, only for quicktime and MXF format.

Does anyone know a way to do this through any free softwares and give me a guide?

or is anyone willing to help me with it if I sent them my video and captions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not sure where you got your info. if you "embed" subtitles into a video you are re-encoding and "burning" them into the video permanently. that's what embedding means...
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    not sure where you got your info. if you "embed" subtitles into a video you are re-encoding and "burning" them into the video permanently. that's what embedding means...
    Yes well thats what i mean.... thats what i want to do, embed captions into video which means it has to be encoded. In premiere pro theres an option for captions to 'embed in output file' and this is available only for quicktime and MXF format. I want to do this for an MPEG2 format. Since its closed captions, it can be turned on and off.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As you wrote, closed captions aren't visible unless they are turned on. CEA-608 closed captions are stored in the video stream's GOP user data. The captions would be permanently visible (open captions) if they are "burned into" the video because at that point they are a permanent part of the video.

Are the Premiere sidecar files SCC subtitle files? SCC files were originally used to add DVD closed captions to MPEG-2 video during DVD authoring. DVD closed captions are the same as or very similar to CEA-608 closed captions and are also stored in the video stream's GOP user data.

Other people have asked for a free program to add CEA-608 captions to video, but I've never been able to find one for them.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Apr 2020 at 21:57.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. There's a free command-line tool called CC_MUX.EXE that only works with mpeg-2 files. It, and its documentation, are at the SCC_TOOLS site. You'll need the elementary video stream from the file and you may need to strip out user data using Restream.

There's a free GUI tool called captioneer at the tsstech site that also only works with mpeg-2 files. It also needs the elementary video stream from the file, and you you may also need to strip out user data using Restream.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Simon_Haddad View Post
    There's a free command-line tool called CC_MUX.EXE that only works with mpeg-2 files. It, and its documentation, are at the SCC_TOOLS site. You'll need the elementary video stream from the file and you may need to strip out user data using Restream.

There's a free GUI tool called captioneer at the tsstech site that also only works with mpeg-2 files. It also needs the elementary video stream from the file, and you you may also need to strip out user data using Restream.
    CC_MUX is buggy, according to its own author, who recommends captioneer instead. I agree. I have tried CC_MUX but could never get it to work. My advice is don't waste your time on CC_MUX.

I have not tried captioneer

[Edit]Captioneer is for CEA-608B DVD closed captions, for SD interlaced video at 29.97 fps. It does not support captions for 24fps video.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Apr 2020 at 16:33.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote