VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello guys. I'm new here so id like to say thank you. There are a o lot of useful infos here...
    So i have some Hi8 tapes and i want to capture them on my pc. To do that i use a Canon 8mm VIDEO CAMCORDER UC-X65 Hi8 PAL with my TV Tuner (AverTV Pilot). For capturing image i use S-video and for audio composite. At first i was using the program from my tv tuner to capture the videos but then i found AVS Video Recorder and used that cause it stops automatically after a specific time which i can set.

So in Output video format i use "Recommended format" and in Settings>Device settings>
    Video Device Input: Video S-Video
    Video Standard: PAL_B

But the videos are being captured on 29,97 fps. How is that possible? Shouldn't be 25? And when i select 25fps it doesnt show any video...

Oh and another thing... Could you please suggest me some other programs?

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    only pal_m should give you 29.97. check your output files with mediainfo, something may be giving you wrong data.

you could try virtualdub to capture with.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It should capture 25 fps. Try updating driver and capture software.

I'm not familiar with the AverTV Pilot. It probably converts to MPeg2 in hardware. You could test capture with Virtualdub, see if it sees the device. I don't know what other capture software works with it.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Thanasis View Post
    Hello guys. I'm new here so id like to say thank you. There are a o lot of useful infos here...
    So i have some Hi8 tapes and i want to capture them on my pc. To do that i use a Canon 8mm VIDEO CAMCORDER UC-X65 Hi8 PAL with my TV Tuner (AverTV Pilot). For capturing image i use S-video and for audio composite. At first i was using the program from my tv tuner to capture the videos but then i found AVS Video Recorder and used that cause it stops automatically after a specific time which i can set.

So in Output video format i use "Recommended format" and in Settings>Device settings>
    Video Device Input: Video S-Video
    Video Standard: PAL_B

But the videos are being captured on 29,97 fps. How is that possible? Shouldn't be 25? And when i select 25fps it doesnt show any video...

Oh and another thing... Could you please suggest me some other programs?

Thank you
    I hate to keep repeating myself here, but it seems like I see a pattern!

Go on eBay and look for a Sony HandyCam that is Digital8 that has the "signal conversion feature" It allows analog 8mm (Video8, hi8) to be played back via FireWire as if it were a digital tape.
    From all the methods I tried; this produced the best result. Fooling around with USB capture cards and strange proprietary software tends to give weird results.
    The only problem is, since you are a PAL region person, I don't know which PAL Digital8 camcorders offer the "signal conversion" function. I used a TRV480 - which I still have since those Digital8 camcorders are getting more and more rare.
    Quote Quote