VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an MKV from which I'm wanting to cut out a brief portion of the middle. I've found a few pieces of software that work well for precise cutting and splicing by the frame.

However, even if I cut out just the right instance when it comes to the dialog, I still end up with two separate issues:

Issue #1-

In the original clip, there is slight movement from the beginning of a camera pan that begins eleven frames before the optimal cut point for audio. So even if the audio cut is in the perfect place, on screen, there is a slight instance of movement that make it apparent the original shot has been edited.

There isn't any motion at all happening in the frames leading up to the new cut point as it is a still shot of an motionless background. So I figure the best way to mask this is to apply a very brief freeze frame with the background audio continuing for the duration of the affect.

Basically taking the frame progression around the edit from this:
    01, 02, 03 (beginning of pan), 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, (new cut point), 14

and changing it to
    01, 02, 02, 02, 02, 02, 02, 02, 02, 02, 02, 02, 02, (new cut point), 14

So is there a free tool or fully functional trial of a program that can replace a handful of frames in a shot with a single repeated frame? Either directly in the MKV or in a demuxed copy of the H264 video stream? Would using the procedure with Shotcut described in this video work without degrading the video output?

Issue #2-

The other problem the cut creates is in the audio, which is only background music at that point. There is a note that is lowering in pitch in transition to another note over the course of the several seconds I want to cut out. Having that shift happen a little more quickly is fine, but the cut creates a skipping effect. I've recreated a similar effect to illustrate with a recording of a slide whistle below. The first few seconds are the original recording and the next few second are of the same recording with a short portion of audio cut from the middle.

Listen to that here.

Is there a way to blur or blend this instance, so the audio sounds like it shifts more naturally instead of skipping? Perhaps using Audacity on a demuxed, exported WAV copy of the audio stream?

Thanks again to all who have been responding to my posts!
    Last edited by solkap; 27th Dec 2018 at 23:56. Reason: added info
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Twelve frozen frames is going to look like a glitch no matter what. You should cut the audio and video at different points. The music issue is tougher and might be addressed by cutting/crossfading into a sudden loud sound in the following clip.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Twelve frozen frames is going to look like a glitch no matter what.
    Perhaps. But I'd still like to try it first, just to see for myself. Is Shotcut the best tool to use to try out the freeze frame effect? Or is there another program the would do it with better output?

Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    The music issue is tougher and might be addressed by cutting/crossfading
    I thought about trying something like a cross fade for the audio, but I'm not sure if it's possible to apply to the middle of an continuous audio clip. And If I mess with the tracks before they're joined, I'm not sure how to make sure they still synch up after remuxing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I wouldn't attempt this work outside of an NLE that treats audio and video tracks separately but can keep them in sync.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I understand what you're saying and I appreciate you taking the time to respond. At the same time, explaining only what you would not do doesn't help. I'd like to know if Shotcut is able to perform the freeze frame affect with a specific number of frames and if it exports the video losslessly.

I'd also like to have some pointers on blending audio across cut points. I'm fairly sure a sound editor like Audacity could help with this, but I'm not sure if it would be the best option for the task I've described or if another editor would be better at applying controlled distortion(s).

If I try my idea, and am not happy with the result, I'll figure something else out.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote