VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,
    A friend of mine got his holiday videos edited into a small "movie". He complained though that the video seemed to lag, so he sent me the vid. He has yet to tell me in which program the video was edited by the guy.
    I have the same issue when I watch his movie on my laptop and screens. I thought it was an interlacing problem, but I'm not so sure now, as I don't really see the lines you normally see with this problem.
    It might be because he shot his video's in 4K, and both my laptop and his screen aren't equipped to watch that resolution. However, when I add it to my premiere and look at the properties of the timeline I create, I see it's full HD and not 4K. (the whole movie, I've added one of the used video's and that is 4k)
    I have searched google for an answer, but I can't find the right search term to get there, so I figured I'd turn to a forum for help. I've added a screengrab from watching the video on my laptop.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermafbeelding 2020-06-07 om 16.39.16.png
Views:	21
Size:	573.4 KB
ID:	53702  

Quote Quote  
  2. Without a sample of the original video one can't be sure. But it looks like a blend deinterlace. Do you see the same problem in still shots?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Without a sample of the original video one can't be sure. But it looks like a blend deinterlace. Do you see the same problem in still shots?
    Unfortunately, there aren't many still shots, however, as long as the camera itself doesn't move, it's sort of fine. As soon as the camera even as much as wiggles, let alone say pan from left to right, it's terrible.

I have the original video's used, and as you can see in another attachment, when I look at that video itself there isn't an issue.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermafbeelding 2020-06-07 om 17.04.37.png
Views:	15
Size:	1,007.7 KB
ID:	53703  

Quote Quote  
  4. he shot his video's in 4K
    4K/UHD is typically not interlaced

However, when I add it to my premiere and look at the properties of the timeline I create, I see it's full HD and not 4K.
    It might have been exported or edited in a different format by the other person. eg. UHD/50p might have been down converted to 1080i25 (interlaced 50 fields/second)

There might be a framerate change performed in the editing software by the other editor, and it was set to "frame blending"

If you have full HD version, and it was interlaced, you can disable frame blending (frame blending is one method premiere uses to deinterlace)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

There might be a framerate change performed in the editing software by the other editor, and it was set to "frame blending"

If you have full HD version, and it was interlaced, you can disable frame blending (frame blending is one method premiere uses to deinterlace)
    Thanks, I'll look into that. I've contacted the other editor as well on this.
    Quote Quote