VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been to their forums, nobody seems to know or care what the cost is. Does anyone here know? A search for "Adobe" returns 4 results, yet VideoHelp has been here for what 15 years? Oh well, I have 4 days left to ponder why anyone would agree to pay for years and years...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Like most anything in the market, there's MSRP and then there's discounts - volume/enterprise, education/student, regional, government, periodic specials, etc.

It's VERY CLEAR what Adobe's normal prices are, you can see them on their site.
    https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

Whether they are appropriate to you depends on what your software needs are and what is available in the competition.
    For me, since I know their stuff well (decades' worth), use a variety of their tools, because some of them are unique in their capabilities, and also that I have colleagues that also do use the same so we stick within a common workflow, and especially because I get a MAJOR educational discount for the whole suite, it's very worth it.

Adobe has, for a good 5+ years now have only had a subscription model. They aren't going to change back. If you don't like it, you could:
    1. Buy an old out-of-date (and possibly unsecure) perennial version on ebay or something.
    2. Find the link to the out-of-date/etc CS2 suite which was freely avalable at one time.
    3. Use competitors, including open source.
    4. Hold your breath until you get what you want.
    5. Create your own software.

Complaining about it here really doesn't help anything though.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Adobe has been making fat stacks since they moved to the subscription model. No, they will not be switching to the old model of owning the software you buy.

Linus talking about paying $10k a year on Adobe software for he large team of editors to use. And explains that it still financially makes sense for him as the boss. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9VysWRHPdI
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cornucopia, I'm not complaining, I'm wondering why anyone would agree to make payments indefinitely without an actual set price... so no, you didn't provide an adequate explanation, only that you don't mind paying several times over the non-existent price while you continue to rent software instead of buying it.

I appreciate the reply but not the snotty attitude. I'm well aware of my options... and I'm going to stick with #4, thank you very much.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Adobe isn't primarily a consumer software company even if some consumers want to use their software. Adobe's subscription model works well for them precisely because their software is so popular or even essential in the professional arena. The cost of the software is a business expense for professional users and having predictable, recurring payments can be advantageous for budgeting. Business users probably also appreciate having bugs fixed with regular software updates as part of their subscription.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote