VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've done some research on pixel format 8 and 32 bit. I notice colour difference, but I've realised that 32 bit takes much longer to process. Is there quality difference between those two?
    Quote Quote  
  2. 8 usually means 8 bits per channel. Video normally has 3 or 4 channels(. 3 channels is 24 bit (RGB or YUV), 4 channels is 32 bit RGBA or YUVA). So 32 bit and 8 bit is usually the same thing. There is such a thing as true 8 bit color (single channel, 256 color palette) but that is hardly every used these days.
    Quote Quote  
  3. So is 8 bit recommended?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jseo13579 View Post
    I've done some research on pixel format 8 and 32 bit. I notice colour difference, but I've realised that 32 bit takes much longer to process. Is there quality difference between those two?
    it's color depth, not pixel format, the label for this is misleading, 8bit integers and 32 means is is calculating in floating point, that takes longer, but calculations are more exact
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Originally Posted by jseo13579 View Post
    I've done some research on pixel format 8 and 32 bit. I notice colour difference, but I've realised that 32 bit takes much longer to process. Is there quality difference between those two?
    it's color depth, not pixel format, the label for this is misleading, 8bit integers and 32 means is is calculating in floating point, that takes longer, but calculations are more exact
    Oops, my reply was misleading in this case (I don't use Vegas).

Calculations with 32 bit floats is slower but more precise, especially when performing multiple operations. Floats are less likely to result in banding (posterization). Suppose you have an operation like (100 / 3) * 3. This is of course a null operation. As real numbers dividing by 3 then multiplying by three will return the original value (100). But on a computer... In floating point 100.0 / 3.0 gives you 33.333... Multiplying that by 3.0 gives you 100.000... (or maybe 99.999...). 100 / 3 as integers results in 33 (the ".333..." is lost). Multiplying that by 3 gets you a final result of 99. So working in floating point gives a result closer to the real restult of 100.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I dont understand your point. Anyway, does 32 bit give better quality?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, if you use effects like color corrections, changing levels and especially if you have a chain of those.

If you just load video, cut it and then export it, I don't think it matters much what you have selected (8bit integer or 32bit floating point.
    But not sure now how internally Vegas works. if you if it uses original clip's YUV values for export without any effects (filters) or RGB values. Vegas might use at least one YUV to RGB to YUV trip and setting 32bit might help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I've recently found out that 32 bit does alter colour in a way that the video looks sharper, but as far as I know I can use colour curves filter to make the display in 8 bit look exactly the same as if I'm using 32 bit. Perhaps, I found 32 bit takes much longer than 8 bit. Anyway, thanks for your tips. Your information has significantly helped.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I just bought Vegas 17. I noticed some artifacts in my final render. I watched this video talking about setting 32bit floating point under preferences however on my computer the only option I have is Best Good Preview and Draft. Anyone know why this option is missing on my version?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Leave Best in there, but there should be another box called: Pixel Format, That would set bit depth for calculations.
    8bit
    32bit - floating point limited range
    32bit - floating point full range
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    [Attachment 53435 - Click to enlarge]
    Really odd but its not there. No idea why. I just purchased this software two weeks ago and it has the lastest updates applied. Did Magix remove this feature? Magix Vegas Movie Studio 17 Platinum
    Quote Quote  
  12. Most likely it is somewhere else. They shuffle buttons around when changed it to Magix.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    I've been looking but cant find it anywhere. I've googled it but couldn't find it mentioned anywhere else other than where it is supposed to beImage
    [Attachment 53436 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  14. Must wait for someone who knows whats going on. There are folks out there saying to not use it for 8bit sources, which is absurd if done correctly, you do not accumulate errors. But they say it is not reliable for colors etc. : https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/plea-to-new-users-please-do-not-set-32...ormat--114750/ , comments like that are really weird.
    Was it removed then? Someone will actually set that straight hopefully.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sony hasn't been involved with vegas in several years. i only have magix vegas pro 16 not 17 and the setting is there. BUT i've used vegas pro since version 6, and i've never not had the options listed in the screenshot below.

[Attachment 53454 - Click to enlarge]
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote