VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i play acoustic guitar and have filmed myself playing lead,i would love to play back up guitar and then post it on the the same video? how do i do that? novice at editing,all help appreciated thanks,celtico
    Quote Quote  
  2. play the original video on headphones, on a tablet or phone, record the back up in to audacity, on your pc, then export as a wav file and import the recording to the video on a second audio track. Adjust volumes to get the right mix, in the video edit
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi thanks,would love see a video of someone going through the procedure of doing the editing on a particular software?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Are you wanting to mix the two guitar tracks together or keep them separate to be played individually? If it's the former it should be fairly easy to do in Audacity. You'd import the original audio track, create a new one for the second guitar track and record it while listening to the original track. If the acoustic has a pick-up you can connected it to the PC, otherwise you can record with a microphone. You can adjust each track's volume with Audacity and mix them together as a single track when you export the audio again. Assuming the length of the audio doesn't change, it should still match the video, so you can replace the original audio in the video file with the new version.

You'll have to try Audacity yourself and ask questions if you need help with problems. I think you'll be lucky to find an existing video explaining how to do something so specific, and I doubt anyone will create one. You might find some general instructional videos for Audacity on YouTube though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The way Hello Hello suggested is probably much easier.
    I am fortunate to use DaVinci Resolve for video so I am used to mixing audio in that, without considering your skills.

He did forget to mention you need to export the audio from the original video first, as a wav file is possible, import that to Audacity, watch a tutorial at youtube, record your second track along side and get a mix.
    export that mix as a wav file and then re import in to your video edit and line up with the picture.
    It shouldn't have a sync problem as long as you stay in wav.

Don't use mp3 and really, don't use anything variable bit rate for the audio if you are stuck with mp3 for some reason.
    Quote Quote