VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've got some video clips that were recorded on a cell phone. Some were recorded vertically (720x1280) and some were recorded horizontally (1280x720). Is there any way to combine these clips to a single file and maintain the original resolutions and aspect ratios? I would like the vertical clips to be viewed vertically on a tv/monitor at 1280 height and fill up the screen from top to bottom with black bars on both sides. And also have the horizontal clips be viewed horizontally at 1280 width, but fill up the entire screen, top to bottom and side to side with no black bars. I know I can down scale the vertical clips to only be 720 high, but I'd prefer to keep the original quality if at all possible.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It would be much easier to just play them as separate files that would continue to the next video.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @bigchief247, it is not physically possible to satisfy ALL those requirements at once with current equipment. But if you wait for a super-high-rez, morphing display, it someday might be possible.

Your choices:
    • Stretch and mess up aspect ratio
    • Maintain rez, but either zoom & crop or pillar/letterbox
    • Maintain aspect, but pillar/letterbox and lose some rez
    Or you could:
    • Keep the verticals vertical, playing on only a vertical display, and
      Keep the horizontals horizontal, playing on only a horizontal display, and
      Keeping them separate from each other.

Pick your poison.

Oh, and to answer your single file portion: It is possible in file formats that are designed to act like multi-program playlists. That means: Mpeg Transport streams (MTS/M2TS), MKV, MXF, and MOV/MP4. But not all players would interpret such varied payloads properly.
    The other formats: AVI (and divx variants), Mpeg Program or System Streams, ASF/WMV, RealMedia, FLV, do NOT support this feature in any way.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 25th Apr 2020 at 22:32.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Put them in a 1280x1280 frame with letterbox/pillarbox as necessary. Or you could put them in a transport stream file -- they can switch resolutions on the fly. But there no way to get full screen for both without distortion or cropping or borders.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the tips guys. I was pretty sure that what I was wanting to do wasn't currently possible, but I was hoping maybe there was a way to do it that I just wasn't aware of. I'll just go with 1280x720 and let the vertical clips get scaled down to fit for now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Oh, and to answer your single file portion: It is possible in file formats that are designed to act like multi-program playlists. That means: Mpeg Transport streams (MTS/M2TS), MKV, MXF, and MOV/MP4. But not all players would interpret such varied payloads properly.
    The other formats: AVI (and divx variants), Mpeg Program or System Streams, ASF/WMV, RealMedia, FLV, do NOT support this feature in any way.

Scott
    @Cornucopia I just noticed your a fellow Texan, so howdy neighbor. Can you clarify more about the possibilities if I use an mkv container? I'm thinking now that the option I had settled on (1280x720 and shrink the vertical clips to 720 high) isn't really a very good option either, because then if the video is viewed on a cell phone, the vertical clips can't be viewed in a vertical fashion because of the pillarboxing. So can I add multiple video clips to an mkv that have differing resolutions, or is that still a no go? I think I already know the answer, but figured I'd ask anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by bigchief247 View Post
    So can I add multiple video clips to an mkv that have differing resolutions, or is that still a no go?
    Sure you can. But, in a best case scenario, say you start out with a 1280x720 section and thew viewer turns their phone horizontally so the picture fills the screen. When the 720x1280 section comes along the player will shrink the frame to fit the height of the frame. So the viewer will still see a tall skinny image with black bars at the side. Maybe if the user turns the phone back to portrait mode the player will adjust the scaling and fill the screen once more. Maybe not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    from now on remember, video and photos are horizontal. only brain dead females hold their cell phone vertical recording them. if you take both clips into a video editor and re-encode to 1280x1280 maybe the result will be weird but watchable.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. I made an mp4 file with both 1280x720 and 720x1280 sections. On my Android phone it plays as I described in post #7 -- the image fills the screen if the user rotates the phone to match the video. Both with VLC and the Prime Photos app.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. That's cool, mpv player plays it too, it changes frames accordingly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yup, Vlc on Android worked perfectly/as expected with it in either orientation. Nice image!

Howdy! Hope you're holding up well.
    Mkv OUGHT to work, but can't vouch for praxis, as I rarely use it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. I can't take credit for the image. I stole it from somewhere via a google image search:

https://unsplash.com/photos/pYpnKA52a-A
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Sure you can. But, in a best case scenario, say you start out with a 1280x720 section and thew viewer turns their phone horizontally so the picture fills the screen. When the 720x1280 section comes along the player will shrink the frame to fit the height of the frame. So the viewer will still see a tall skinny image with black bars at the side. Maybe if the user turns the phone back to portrait mode the player will adjust the scaling and fill the screen once more. Maybe not.
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I made an mp4 file with both 1280x720 and 720x1280 sections. On my Android phone it plays as I described in post #7 -- the image fills the screen if the user rotates the phone to match the video. Both with VLC and the Prime Photos app.
    That's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish, but I haven't found a way to get that result yet. Can you explain how to do it, and what editing software you did it with?
    Last edited by bigchief247; 29th Apr 2020 at 12:21.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I used ffmpeg to concatenate a couple of ts files twice each, alternating between the two. One was called landscape.ts (1280x720) the other portrait.ts (720x1280). ffmpeg's concatenate filter requires a plain text file with a list of files to be concatenated:

Code:
    file 'landscape.ts'
    file 'portrait.ts'
    file 'landscape.ts'
    file 'portrait.ts'
    The command line I used was:

Code:
    ffmpeg -safe 0 -f concat -i list.txt -c copy mix.mp4
    The "-safe 0" may not be necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I had never seen or heard this word before..."concatenate", I had to look up the definition. Thanks for the advice and showing me that it is possible to get the result I was looking for. I'm a complete novice with command line, so I've always avoided ffmpeg, but I'll do some experimenting and see if I can get it figured out.

Thanks,
    Corey
    Quote Quote  
  16. Some of the GUI front ends for ffmpeg will probably let you do it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Here's another mixed resolution video with full motion segments and audio. Be careful, these mixed resolution videos can cause problems on some systems. For example, when played on my Win10 computer with MPCHC Windows locks up, requiring a hard reboot. When playing with VLC they work fine.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote