VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just aquired a DL recorder and was told that I should use the DVD-R to record my DVD's. They are hard to find. Does it matter if I use - or +?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    How old is your recorder? Did you get it used? Some older models might need a particular type, but most don't. You should list make and model number.

Usually it is more important to use high quality discs, preferably Verbatim AZO, or Taiyo Yuden. If you are in the US, these discs are readily available online from Amazon, Rima.com and Supermediastore.com.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMO DVD-R gives best player compatability but the more modern players shound not have any issue with either. But you are correct. As far as DL disks are concerned, -R disks are now very hard to find.

As far as DL media is concerned, it is much more critical as to the brand you choose. Only Verbatim and Taiyo Uden, not any mere 'branded' disks, should be considered.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Arley View Post
    I just aquired a DL recorder and was told that I should use the DVD-R to record my DVD's. They are hard to find. Does it matter if I use - or +?
    did your recorder come with an instruction booklet ?? it should say what recordable discs can be used in your recorder.
    some recorders can only use +R while others can do both +R and -R recordable discs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, it can use any of them, however, I was told that the - will work in all players, where the + will work in only some.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I understand the question correct, you have a recorder that can record on a DVD dual or double layer disc, also known as a DVD 9.

I agree with DB83, that the DVD - will have the best compatability with players, but i have used both + and - disc without any problems, so maybe the + and - question are pure academic and for the really nerdy users.

I have tried brands like Mediarange and they never worked for me.

I normally use Tayo Yuden (single layer) discs, because I know the work everytime, but i can not find any duak kayer discs from Tayo Juden.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmer View Post

...I normally use Tayo Yuden (single layer) discs, because I know the work everytime, but i can not find any duak kayer discs from Tayo Juden.
    AFAIK they are only available from Japan and maybe Europe, from Japan via Ebay they are >$2 each including shipping from Japan. They are called THAT brand but are made by Ty/JVC.
    I'd say just get Varbatim AZO +R DL, they work in all but a few players. Verbatim also makes decent -R DLs but are only sold in small quantities and are at least as much if not more than the THAT discs from Japan.
    Whatever you don't purchase the cheap Verbatim or other cheap discs, they don't often work and tend to fail soon after burning.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hey, you guys have been a great help. Thank you.
    Now, to another question:
    I am trying to rip from a dual disc and record it on a single. I have a teaching series that has lessons 1,2,3 on one side and 4,5,6 on he other side. I was able to rip & record the first side with no problems (after I had wasted several disc's trying to figure it out).
    However, I am not able to do the same with the other side. It continues to rip both sides and then when it records, it doesn't work. After wasting about 5 disc's on that, I gave up. Please feel free to give me any advice you have on the subject.

I have tried to uncheck the lessons/titles from the first side, but it still rips & records them. I have tried to use vlc from which was suggested when I pulled up the software to rip & record. I have purchesed the software any dvd cloner platinum.

Thank you again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Dual sided discs are the equivalent of 2 separate, independent discs, so just rip each side, then record that side to a SS disc. Alternative is to MERGE the 2 "disc titles" into a new, combined property that incorporates both sides in menu (which will be more generic than the existing menus). You may also need to shrink the bitrate on the clips so that they can fit (depending on their current bitrate and your disc capacity).

Use a better software to rip. That software is NOT related to AnyDVD.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And no ripper could possibly get all the titles from both sides of the disk at the same time. That is physically impossible.

Unless you have mis-described your disk. Meant to say dual-layer rather than dual-sided. Totally different beasts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use Taiyo Uden only and have never made a coaster yet. I tend to use more of the -R than the +R.
    If it feels good, do it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. DB83

Well it is always a possibility that I incorrectly described it. I do know for sure that I have to take out and flip over in order to play the last 3 lessons. As described obove, I can't seem to get it to rip that side and record it to a single disc. I did it just fine on the first 3 lessons, so any reason why it won't do it for the other side? I believe that I am doing the exact same thing as before. In fact, I will try it again, just to try and get a screen shot of it so I can post it. Maybe that will help you help me figure it out. It will take me some time, so it will be in the next post I do.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What you describe is a dual-sided disk. What is affectionally known as a 'flipper'.

But as Scott points out, both sides work ndependently of one another and for all intents and purposes appear as two single-sided disks. And if you think about it, how could you rip both sides at the same time since the laser can only read one.

But is this disk a standard dvd ? That is to say will in play in a stand-alone player or only a PC. With the latter, playback is controlled by the PC and the files on that second side, are not conventional dvd-video files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Assuming it IS standard, ripping to ISO with DVDFabHDDecrypter, then burning with ImgBurn should work on 99.999% of the discs.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ok guys, I'm not sure why this changed things, but I was scanning the disc at the higher quality and as I said, it worked just fine on the first one. So I changed it to normal with the encrypted / unencrypted, and it is working just fine. Don't understand it because the higher one had that also. So I can't say why, but I can say it is working. Seems to play not only in the pc but also in my dvd player. I guess the real test will be when I give them away and see wheather or not they work elsewhere.

You guys have been a big help. I'll have some questions on some other things so it's nice to know that you are here to help. In the meantime I'm going to look for the -r and see if I can find them local. If not, I'll have to order them.

Thanks again and we'll be talking again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If those were encrypted and you are "giving them away", then in most jurisdictions that is illegal and often actively prosecuted.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmn.

You are legally allowed to back up a disk for your own use. But, as stated, even giving away copies is a violation of copyright and discussion of such activity is against forum rules.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I thank you for the concern, however, they are Christian teaching dvds and I do have permission. I'm not "giving them away", just loaning. My choice of words earlier was not meant to mislead you. I need to keep the original and that is why I needed to copy them. I can only make a certain amount and I can't sell them. It is through my church and all things were discussed and are legal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. I understand but, with respect, I doubt if your church understands.

Unless they are the original creator of the disk, they do not have the right to grant any such permission to copy. Enough said.
    Quote Quote  
  20. There ARE exceptions/special aspects of some copyright laws where religious entities are concerned. My own church pays for a specific "blanket" license (my term, perhaps not accurate legally) for permissions to use various copyrighted materials. However, I cannot say for certain that what Arley proposes to do would fall under what my church has, but it may not be accurate to say such copying/loaning is absolutely forbidden.

As DB83 suggests, the original creator of the disc decides if/when copying is permitted.

Arley, if you have the details of such an authorization or means of obtaining that, perhaps you can share that information, in the spirit of VideoHELP. Of course, what may be legal in one jurisdiction/country may not be so in others.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

...I normally use Tayo Yuden (single layer) discs, because I know the work everytime, but i can not find any duak kayer discs from Tayo Juden.
    AFAIK they are only available from Japan and maybe Europe, from Japan via Ebay they are >$2 each including shipping from Japan. They are called THAT brand but are made by Ty/JVC.
    I'd say just get Varbatim AZO +R DL, they work in all but a few players. Verbatim also makes decent -R DLs but are only sold in small quantities and are at least as much if not more than the THAT discs from Japan.
    Whatever you don't purchase the cheap Verbatim or other cheap discs, they don't often work and tend to fail soon after burning.

Yes well,,,

I Live in Denmark, and buy 99,999% of my blank medias over the internet from Germany, because of the stupid danish taxsystem, and i have no idea how available Tayo Yuden discs are in countries outside the european union.

And another yes again.

As far as i understand JVC has bought or taken over the media part oft he TY brand some years ago (2008)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hay Jimmer, try this out. http://www.supermediastore.com/category/a/taiyo-yuden-blank-recordable-dvd-r-disc-discs-media. I get my disc here and they are very good in customer service as well. Never an issue.
    If it feels good, do it.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
    I'd say just get Verbatim AZO +R DL, they work in all but a few players.
    ---
    +1

I Live in Denmark, and buy 99,999% of my blank medias over the internet from Germany, because of the stupid danish taxsystem, and i have no idea how available Taiyo Yuden discs are in countries outside the european union.
    ----
    As far as I understand JVC has bought or taken over the media part of the TY brand some years ago (2008)
    I live in the EU as well and find Taiyo Yuden Germany prices very competitive, I see no need to import them from the U.S.

As regards JVC/TY, see this old thread
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Backpain View Post
    Hay Jimmer, try this out. http://www.supermediastore.com/category/a/taiyo-yuden-blank-recordable-dvd-r-disc-discs-media. I get my disc here and they are very good in customer service as well. Never an issue.

Well, thanks for the link, but Supermediastore seems to be located in the US, and i live in Denmark and buy from the company Nierle.com located in the much closer Germany.

And a comment about using TY discs.

Yes, they are priced something like the double of other medias, but i have tried several other brands, from the cheapest of cheapest to several of the more well reputed brands, and the only brand i know for sure works ar the TY brand.

I have som discs, burnt probably 10 years ago, on cheap "no name" disc, and they are still working flawlessly and i have some disc from more known manufacturers (also Verbatim) that could not be used after three months.

The data were just unreadable
    Last edited by jimmer; 31st May 2015 at 15:43. Reason: more editing
    Quote Quote