VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been doing 3DS gameplay recording with my camcorder. However, because I tilt my camcorder to accumulate the console's 2 screens, my audio commentary is tilted to one side & the resulting audio becomes more towards the right or left channels.

Thus, I am posting here to how I can correct this mislocalization of the stereo audio so the audio levels in the left & right channels are balanced. I am not able to find any related posts prior to this on Google or here thus I am posting this query.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does your camera have a mic connection?

I wonder if you could have a mic to speak into while still recording the 3ds audio the way you were originally? Or perhaps split the mic input if you do have a mic in?

Edit - as far as doing it in post you could try cloning the more dominant side onto the other side. Give it a fake "mono" effect in other words.

Audacity is a free audio software program you can look into.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. IMHO in such audio mono signal can be sufficient. Add L+R then duplicate such mono on two channels - decent audio codec will do rest.
    Quote Quote  
  4. More details would be helpful when asking for answers; what format is the recording in, is it going to be converted to a different format...

There are many ways to fix this depending on the answers to those questions:
    - You could edit in an NLE (Premiere, Vegas, Vdub...) set the audio to mono (with varying degrees of difficulty).
    - You could have the audio converted to mono as you're converting to another format.
    - You could demux the video and audio, open the audio in Audacity, split into 2 mono track and delete the weak side, copy the strong side to a new track and make into stereo again, then remux the audio and video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My apologies for the late message to all. I had not received a notification e-mail of replies so I had no idea.

I'm currently trying to figure out using audio Pan to correct the stereo problem.

To answer the question from nic2k4, the commentary was recorded directly from the video camcorder I'm using. There's no mic whatsoever connected to the camcorder (and game audio is recorded by my computer).
    Quote Quote  
  6. It would seem you have to somehow merge the audio from the camcorder and the computer. Which ever way you planned on doing that, the easy solution is to mute the camcorder audio and record your commentary with a mic on the PC.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    It would seem you have to somehow merge the audio from the camcorder and the computer. Which ever way you planned on doing that, the easy solution is to mute the camcorder audio and record your commentary with a mic on the PC.
    Recording my commentary after completing the recording would be as hard as doing a live commentary, perhaps even harder to do so since I have to know how long I will take to talk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by darkdestiny
    perhaps even harder to do so since I have to know how long I will take to talk.
    Actually that's a benefit of doing it after you have it on the computer. Any program you use to do it while the video is playing will have the total length of the video itself.

Also I'm not sure exactly what your commentating on but there is no reason you have to talk the whole time. Even if you are doing a step by step level guide you'd be totally winded after the recording if you were saying "do this, go here, etc" every second of the video.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. He's thinking linearly. On the computer you don't have to do all your work in one shot the way you would, say with a tape recorder (so old fashion). Even if you weren't planning to use an NLE (non linear editing program) to edit your video, you could still use Audacity (a fine sound editor) to record every little snippet of commentary, then stitch them in time on multiple tracks to create the entire video commentary track.
    Quote Quote