VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a screen recording that appears to be 60fps variable frame rate. I need to convert to a constant 24fps and remove the duplicate frames that appear randomly throughout. I also need to retain the same running time. I've tried various ffmpeg options, but so far, no luck.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by TenementLady; 13th Aug 2023 at 11:01.
    Quote Quote  
  2. By definition a video can't have a set frame rate such as 60fps and also be variable, unless 60fps is the peak or average frame rate. It might be an idea to upload a sample of it. You can attach a sample to a post here. I doubt anyone will be able to tell you how to convert it to 24fps, or even if it's possible, without looking at it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your reply, and my apologies, here's the frame rate info:

Frame rate mode: Variable
    Frame rate: 59.874 FPS
    Minimum frame rate: 15.000 FPS
    Maximum frame rate: 60.000 FPS
    Quote Quote  
  4. As hello_hello said, you need to post a sample.

If it's a screen recording of YouTube Video, gameplay, a DVD, a camtasia tutorial or a zoom recording -- each needs to be handled differently depending on the actual characteristics of the source.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The recording was done on an iMac 5K with Quicktime. What would be the best way of exporting a sample without re-encoding etc?
    Quote Quote  
  6. MKVToolNixGUI will open lots of formats and remuxe as MKV, and it has options for splitting the output. Or there's TSMuxerGUI for outputting TS or M2TS.
    There's tools for remuxing files as MP4s but I almost never do that myself as working with MP4s could probably be classified as a form of torture.
    I'm pretty sure AVIDemux has splitting options. I couldn't tell you if all of those programs come in a Mac flavor. You''ll have to check.

ffmpeg should copy the video and split the output when remuxing. If you're not into using it via the command line, there's probably a Mac flavored GUI or two for it.
    I checked AviDemux just to see, and it has a Mac version.

You can't export from Quicktime without re-encoding? I have no idea what it'll do as I don't use it.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 15th Aug 2023 at 15:38.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Last I checked, QuickTime has no means to properly convert VFR <--> CFR. Best option on a Mac is probably ffmpeg.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Last I checked, QuickTime has no means to properly convert VFR <--> CFR. Best option on a Mac is probably ffmpeg.

Scott
    I tried various options in ffmpeg, but they either changed the running time or left dupe frames in place.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TenementLady View Post
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Scott
    I tried various options in ffmpeg, but they either changed the running time or left dupe frames in place.
    Post a sample if you want somebody to help you
    Quote Quote  
  10. Here's a sample clip (via Avidemux). Thanks
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote