VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    in the pic below i have the same single website page open in chrome and firefox. any clues what's the problem with chrome?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-03_141756.png
Views:	903
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	27260
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You can hit Shift Escape to bring up the Chrome memory manager and see what's using up memory, but to be honest with you, a lot of this is "That's just how Chrome works" and there is not a lot you can do about it. There some kind of Flash blocker program you can use (Flash is built in to Chrome by the way) that will help some, but the more tabs you have open, the more memory it will use. Chrome uses memory to speed itself up and provide some stability options over Firefox and IE.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wow is all i can say. chrome opens 6 versions of itself immediately when i start it. and that above is chrome with ONE tab open - about 1.95GB used.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like and use Chrome in Linux, but I won't install it on Windows.......................

also remember that Chrome runs in a sandbox, so it will use more memory.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All those listings under task manager are not 6 copies of chrome. They're modules that just show up in task manager like that. I'm running it in Linux and my task manager shows this, albeit cryptically.

However, it should not be using 1.95Gb with one tab open. I'm using chrome right now in a 1Gb netbook with 2 tabs open and a few plugins. It'd be unusable if that were remotely normal behavior. Yes, Linux with the Xfce DE is efficient. But not that much.

Myself I'd start looking for memory leaks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is what System Monitor says about Chrome in Linux. Much less memory than what your's is using.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2014-09-04 17:39:09.png
Views:	819
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	27277  

Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  7. I guess aediuss loaded a page with a lot of graphics, script, or being plagued by malicious script/plugin

Note how Gmail takes a lot more memory than other page:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ChromeMemUsageWindows7.PNG
Views:	710
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	27291
    Stopping development until someone save me from poverty or get me out of Hong Kong...
    Twitter @MaverickTse
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it was a page with tons of pictures and videos. i was just curious as firefox had the same page open with less than 400k used. looks like chrome must load all the graphics into memory and firefox not.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have a MacBook that heats up whenever I watch videos on Chrome. It eats up all of my memory. I was on a mac forum and someone suggested disabling Flash player -- just so that it needs permission to run. It seems to have calmed my fan down slightly ... until I play videos on Chrome for too long.

Very irritating -- but I think using a different browser may be the best solution.
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by holde View Post
    but I think using a different browser may be the best solution.
    Do you still have any doubts?

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    it was a page with tons of pictures and videos. i was just curious as firefox had the same page open with less than 400k used. looks like chrome must load all the graphics into memory and firefox not.
    I doubt Chrome pre loads videos.

What's the page?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have a MacBook that heats up whenever I watch videos on Chrome. It eats up all of my memory.
    I'm actually responding to this from an iMac. I'm not saying that you don't have a legitimate beef with Chrome, but please note that in my opinion Macs are DELIBERATELY sold with the bare minimum of memory necessary to make them run. This keeps costs down of their already exorbitant prices, but it's not necessarily good for you. All the power Mac users I know buy additional memory from one place or another for their Macs after they get them. If you had more memory Chrome probably wouldn't eat up ALL of it, depending on what exactly you are doing with those videos and where the sites are that you visit. I use Chrome all the time on my iMac but watching videos is a very very small part of what I do on the iMac to be fair.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Chrome for sites where I need to use a password like forums and online banking and use Pale Moon (Sea Monkey looks good also) for all other browsing. Most of the processes you see are for extensions. Turning off most of your extension will reduce the resources needed to run Chrome. I haven't found any programs to lower memory usage for Chrome. The newest version of "ALL Browsers Memory Zip" is supposed to work well. I didn't have much luck with the older version that I had. I use Firemin which is for Firefox but works for Pale Moon (and all other Firefox mods I assume). Pale Moon uses around 315,000k of memory with a couple of windows open but if I start Firemin, it drops to around 7400k.

EDIT: I just installed the newest version of ALL Browsers Memory Zip and my Chrome resources dropped to around 66,000k of memory.
    Last edited by DarrellS; 27th Mar 2015 at 13:07.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    I use Chrome for sites where I need to use a password like forums and online banking and use Pale Moon (Sea Monkey looks good also) for all other browsing.
    Why's that? Not that it matters. I'm just curious.
    Have you tried LastPass? There's a version for Chrome and the Firefox extension works with Pale Moon. It should keep itself synced between browsers. LastPass is very similar to Roboform. I couldn't imagine browsing without it. All that relentless password remembering is remembered for you and it logs into sites automatically if you want it to.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    in the pic below i have the same single website page open in chrome and firefox. any clues what's the problem with chrome?
    Are you using AdBlock Plus? Apparently it has some memory issues. If you are, maybe try µBlock instead.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/ublock/
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    I use Chrome for sites where I need to use a password like forums and online banking and use Pale Moon (Sea Monkey looks good also) for all other browsing.
    Why's that? Not that it matters. I'm just curious.
    Have you tried LastPass? There's a version for Chrome and the Firefox extension works with Pale Moon. It should keep itself synced between browsers. LastPass is very similar to Roboform. I couldn't imagine browsing without it. All that relentless password remembering is remembered for you and it logs into sites automatically if you want it to.
    Because I feel safer with Chrome than I did with Firefox. The few virus and all the trojans I got were from using Firefox (I was safer running IE6 but most of my sites stopped working so...). I'm only using Chrome for a few sites and most of those sites are owned by Google so I access those with the same password.

I stopped using Firefox all together after the last upgrade completely ruined it. It got worse and worse after each upgrade that you had to download an extension to fix the latest screwup. After the last upgrade, all of my setting were screwed up (luckily I had them backed up) and I was unable to customize it the way I always have so I decided to try Pale Moon which I am happy with but for the kind of browsing I do, I need two different browsers. I thought about trying Sea Monkey (or another Firefox mod) after having problems accessing Doom9 in Chrome but one, I was told that you shouldn't run two Firefox mods because they share the same folders and things can get screwed up and two, There was an issue with the last Chrome upgrade and I had an error message that my update had failed so I went to portableapps.com and saw that the last update was corrupt and they had a download to fix that. I installed that and have had no more issues.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search PM
    ...IE6
    No kidding.

IE6 easily classifies as the one of the worst pieces of software written by a large company ever!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    ...IE6
    No kidding.

IE6 easily classifies as the one of the worst pieces of software written by a large company ever!
    And if there hadn't been renewed competition from browsers such as Firefox we'd probably all still be using it.
    IE6 was released in 2001. IE7 was released in 2006. Five years without updating their browser because once they'd killed off the competition they didn't need to so Microsoft happily treated Windows users with complete contempt.
    That's why I'll never use a Microsoft browser.

Mind you I think I'd put IE5 slightly higher on the crap software list. Wasn't it the version that let web sites install stuff without telling you and without permission, courtesy of the worse internet virus ever, Microsoft ActiveX? That's also why I'll never use a Microsoft browser. How many thousands (millions?) of computers must have been infected via drive-by downloads because Microsoft thought they could own the internet?
    Last edited by hello_hello; 28th Mar 2015 at 01:14. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    Because I feel safer with Chrome than I did with Firefox. The few virus and all the trojans I got were from using Firefox (I was safer running IE6 but most of my sites stopped working so...). I'm only using Chrome for a few sites and most of those sites are owned by Google so I access those with the same password.
    That seems odd to me as I only use Firefox/PaleMoon and I don't even run an antivirus program or software firewall. I think the last time I picked up an infection was in the 90's and that was probably due to ActiveX.

I stopped using Firefox all together after the last upgrade completely ruined it. It got worse and worse after each upgrade that you had to download an extension to fix the latest screwup. After the last upgrade, all of my setting were screwed up (luckily I had them backed up) and I was unable to customize it the way I always have so I decided to try Pale Moon which I am happy with but for the kind of browsing I do, I need two different browsers. I thought about trying Sea Monkey (or another Firefox mod) after having problems accessing Doom9 in Chrome but one, I was told that you shouldn't run two Firefox mods because they share the same folders and things can get screwed up and two, There was an issue with the last Chrome upgrade and I had an error message that my update had failed so I went to portableapps.com and saw that the last update was corrupt and they had a download to fix that. I installed that and have had no more issues.
    Yeah, I switched to Pale Moon myself after Firefox became a Chrome look-alike. Mind you it's no longer being updated for XP so I'll probably have to go back to Firefox soon while I wait for Windows 10 to arrive while hoping it doesn't suck. I have Firefox installed again but I haven't got around to experimenting with new extensions so I'm still mostly using Pale Moon.

You can definitely run Firefox and it's mods at the same time. You can create a new profile folder in a unique location for each browser, although Pale Moon doesn't use the same location as Firefox by default anyway.

For Firefox and XP (I'm not sure exactly where it's located for other Windows versions) there's a file called profiles.ini located at:
    C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini

The contents look something like this:

[General]
    StartWithLastProfile=0

[Profile0]
    Name=Firefox
    IsRelative=0
    Path=D:\My Stuff\Data Files\Firefox
    Default=1

Change IsRelative to zero and set the location where you want your profile folder to be and Firefox will use it the next time it's started.

For Pale Moon it's exactly the same process, only you'll find it here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\profiles.ini

I assume Seamonkey has it's own location too but those application data folders are where the profile folders are located by default, so each browser should be independent.

Anyway, no big deal, but if you haven't tried LastPass I highly recommend it. It automatically syncs itself when it's installed in multiple browsers, so for me I can change a password/login using Firefox on one PC and the LastPass extension installed in Pale Moon is updated when I next use it, and likewise the extension installed in both Firefox and Pale Moon on a second PC are synced the same way.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 27th Mar 2015 at 23:08.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the info. I think I'll try the Sea Monkey browser then. From the screenshots on the website, it looks like it's easy to customize. I like to keep my browser set up like I had IE5.5/IE6 with everything on one toolbar. I have one toolbar on Chrome but it's missing the most important part, the Menu bar. I have two extensions that makes it much easier to navigate. Bookmarks and Chrookmarks.

As for Internet Explorer, someone was looking for 5.1 just the other day. I believe for 3.1 or Windows 95 since those OS could not use anything newer. I had 98SE which came with 5.1 but the first trip to Windows Update, updated to IE 5.5, which was Microsoft's best browser but since XP was released with 6.0, you couldn't use 5.5.

I hated IE 6.0 Beta when it first came out because it was so buggy but after trying IE 7 and IE 8, IE 6 looked much better. Firefox coming out with tabbed browsing (which I can not stand) was Internet Explorer's demise. Microsoft lost a lot of IE users by trying to copy Firefox. Funny that there were so many users (like myself) trying to make Firefox copy IE.

Most people don't want to be bothered with configuring their software. They just want to push a button and have everything work. If you set IE5.5/IE6 correctly, it was as safe as any browser, if not safer but nobody wanted to be bothered with setting it up. There were plenty of geek sites that would walk you through the task with pictures to make everything easy. As time went by, less and less websites supported IE6 so I was pretty much forced to use Firefox. I tried all the other browsers but although stating that they were customizable, I couldn't get any of them to work for me. Firefox was pretty customizable but it seemed like every upgrade, they took something important away which forced you to find extensions to do what they took away until Firefox became a resource hog. The last update took away almost all the customizations that I need.

I wanted to try IE9 to see if it was any better than 7 and 8 but XP users couldn't install it. Now with Windows7, I've tried IE9,10 and 11 and they all suck.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    IE6 was released in 2001. IE7 was released in 2006. Five years without updating their browser because once they'd killed off the competition they didn't need to so Microsoft happily treated Windows users with complete contempt.
    Not only that they were, in my view, deliberately disrupting the W3C HTML and JavaScript standards efforts by doing everything just a little bit differently. But different enough to force web developers to make special IE exceptions for almost everything they wanted to do. And it started great with IE's solid document object model.... And then Steve Ballmer came around harvesting billions while basically ruining the company. Metro UI, the idiot who came up with that idea!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I read somewhere that Microsoft was dropping Internet Explorer.

I downloaded the portable version of seamonkey-2.21.en-US.win64.portable and although everything in the folders are English and the webpages are English, the browser itself is Chinese so I am unable to use it at all.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    I hated IE 6.0 Beta when it first came out because it was so buggy but after trying IE 7 and IE 8, IE 6 looked much better. Firefox coming out with tabbed browsing (which I can not stand) was Internet Explorer's demise. Microsoft lost a lot of IE users by trying to copy Firefox. Funny that there were so many users (like myself) trying to make Firefox copy IE.
    I was using a tabbed browser way before Firefox. It used the IE rendering engine. Originally it was called MyIE, then I think MyIE2 and later the name changed to Maxthon. It could have it's features extended with plugins, although unlike all the current browsers that are so devoid of features "out of the box" they might as well be IE6 with tabs, it had lots of built in options so it didn't require 30 extensions to make it usable (I have 30 installed with Pale Moon). Unfortunately though, the early Maxthon versions were quite buggy so I spent a couple of days playing the "let's find an extension" game to make Firefox usable, then switched. Maybe I should revisit Maxthon. I'm pretty sure it's still around and I think it can use both the IE and Mozilla rendering engines.

Yes, the Firefox extension system both sucks and blows at the same time. I got so sick of Firefox updates breaking my extensions I stopped updating it unless I absolutely had to.

I'll confess there's at least two things beyond my ability to comprehend. I understand them in principle, but actually comprehending them is almost impossible. The size of the universe is one, and the other is not liking tabbed browsing.

I wanted to try IE9 to see if it was any better than 7 and 8 but XP users couldn't install it. Now with Windows7, I've tried IE9,10 and 11 and they all suck.
    Years ago I had a pdf printer I used quite regularly. One day it stopped working. No errors, no nothing. In the end I reformatted, re-installed XP and checked the pdf printer. It worked fine. After installing all my other software and applying updates I checked and it had stopped working again. I think it took me the best part of 2 days, reformatting and re-installing to find the culprit. Upgrading IE6 to IE7 was breaking my pdf printer. Since then, not only do I refuse to use IE, I also won't upgrade it unless I have no choice. Only Microsoft.....
    Last edited by hello_hello; 28th Mar 2015 at 01:47.
    Quote Quote  
  24. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    @DarrellS: Pale Moon may be called "a Firefox mod", but Seamonkey definitely is not a Firefox mod;
    the Mozilla Application Suite and Seamonkey have always been the ACTUAL Mozilla thing
    Firefox is just a Netscape 6 (yuck!) which finally happened to be somewhat-usable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Application_Suite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SeaMonkey

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    "Seamonkey" was formerly used (but with lowercase m) by Netscape and the Mozilla Foundation as a code name for the never-released "Netscape Communicator 5" and later the Mozilla Suite itself. Originally, the name derived from needing a nicer word instead of ButtMonkey, winning a contest for it and chosen with reference to brine shrimp.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	netscape-5-demo.png
Views:	406
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	30904  

Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got the SeaMonkey browser working by installing the newest version in the portable folder. Not the way you would want to do it but it works. I have to say that I don't care for it as much as Pale Moon. It was a lot harder to set it up than Pale Moon was and it doesn't have a Tools > Options to configure how you want the browser to run like most other browsers have. I'll keep trying until I find one I like. I've tried all the browsers that are supposedly like the old IE browsers but none of them were.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I only surf the web in Linux and my preferred browser is Chrome running in Incognito mode. All scripts are disabled. I would never install Chrome in Windows, nor would I surf the web in Windows for that matter.

To each their own, but that is how I like it.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I have a MacBook that heats up whenever I watch videos on Chrome. It eats up all of my memory.
    I'm actually responding to this from an iMac. I'm not saying that you don't have a legitimate beef with Chrome, but please note that in my opinion Macs are DELIBERATELY sold with the bare minimum of memory necessary to make them run. This keeps costs down of their already exorbitant prices, but it's not necessarily good for you. All the power Mac users I know buy additional memory from one place or another for their Macs after they get them. If you had more memory Chrome probably wouldn't eat up ALL of it, depending on what exactly you are doing with those videos and where the sites are that you visit. I use Chrome all the time on my iMac but watching videos is a very very small part of what I do on the iMac to be fair.
    Good point that I hadn't thought of before. I love my MacBook but also believe Apple designs their products to make you spend more on extras. My small rebellion was to buy an Android smartphone. Take that Apple! Might get some more memory for the laptop though, now that you mention it. Thanks for the heads up!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    it happens to me too but with firefox, open 3 or more tabs, also adobe flash player eat up memory in conjunction with firefox.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just an update. I gave up on Sea Monkey and also dumped Google Chrome. I was using Pale Moon to surf my trusted sites (bank etc...) and Ice Dragon to surf the shady sites but Pale Moon seemed to never remember my credentials and keep me logged in as requested so I switched to Ice Dragon with cookies turned on for trusted sites and Pale Moon with cookies turned of for shady sites and everything seems to be working perfectly. Both of these browsers are easy to set up and are highly customizable.

I have found some good Firefox plugins that work with both of these browsers...

F.B.Purity (cleans up Facebook)
    Clean Links 2.7
    Redirect Bypasser 1.7 (Clean Links and Redirect Bypasser stop hackers from hijacking you)
    Menu Wizard 2.08 (allows you the ability to customize right click menus)
    google-no-tracking-url 1.3.1
    Greasemonkey 1.15
    Adblock Plus 2.69
    Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus
    Hide Tab Bar With One Tab 1.5

I have everything on one bar which maximizes my screen real estate. I have the Menu Bar, Navigation Bar, and Bookmarks Bar which is now a "Links" folder like IE 5.5 that I created (like every other browser I've customized) with my most used favorite sites and Icons for Add-ons that can easily be accessed from the one toolbar.

I despise tabbed browsers so I have all boxes under "Tabs" unchecked. Use the "Hide Tab Bar With One Tab" add-on to hide the tabs bar and the "Menu Wizard" add-on to remove all options to open tabs.

Firemin is working for PaleMoon (1,744 - 4,000k) with two windows open but it doesn't seem to be working for IceDragon (329,212k)
    Quote Quote  
  30. Not liking tabbed browsing is such a bizarre concept. It'd be like going back to the days of IE6 when you had to right click on a link, select "open in new window" the link would open in a new window in your way forcing you to minimise it, and opening more then a few links that way would make me want to punch the screen.

With tabbed browsing, links can be opened in the background in new tabs by middle clicking on them. So you can scroll down a page containing links, middle clicking on the ones you're interested as you go, and each link will load in a new tab in the background without getting in your way. How could you not prefer that?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!