VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All.

The official ffmpeg site states the following:

This site offers builds in a couple of variants: the essentials build variant contains commonly used libraries, whereas the full build variant also contains most of the remainder. All variants contain all internal components available for Windows.

Does this basically mean, there is no point on installing the full version if running Windows? I asked this question long ago, and the suggestion was there are additional libraries for Windows in the full build, but that seems to contradict the statement above. I'm just updating. and was hoping someone could clarify.

Cheers
    Last edited by Secoast; 14th Mar 2023 at 07:59.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Secoast View Post

The official ffmpeg site states the following:

This site offers builds in a couple of variants: the essentials build variant contains commonly used libraries, whereas the full build variant also contains most of the remainder. All variants contain all internal components available for Windows.

Does this basically mean, there is no point on installing the full version if running Windows? I asked this question long ago, and the suggestion was there are additional libraries for Windows in the full build, but that seems to contradict the statement above. I'm just updating. and was hoping someone could clarify.

No, it's just a wording/phrasing issue. There are always additional libraries included in the full builds compared to non full builds compiled by the same person

"Full" builds vary depending on who is building it, or choose what they to include/exclude. There should be a list of included libraries

e.g. gyan

https://www.gyan.dev/ffmpeg/builds/#about-these-builds

additional libraries in full build

chromaprint frei0r ladspa libaribb24 libbluray libbs2b libcaca libcdio libdav1d libdavs2 libflite libilbc libjxl liblensfun libmodplug libmysofa libplacebo librav1e librist libshaderc libshine libsnappy libsoxr libsvtav1 libtwolame libuavs3d libxavs2 libzvbi opencl vulkan
    But other people releasing different builds might include other libraries missing from gyan's "full" builds
    Quote Quote  
  3. Just badly worded then. OK, thanks for that.
    Quote Quote