Okay so I'm new to this but have spent some time reading the how to's and the forum - so think I'm ready to give it another go, can the professional ones advise me on this scenario:

I'm going to copy a 1hr 30 minute PAL VHS tape to VCD.
VCR connected via audio and composite video to my capture card which is 3dfx going to use VFW capture driver.

I am going to capture using Virtualdub to an *.avi file at a resolution of 352x576 and 25fps with audio at cd quality (44x16)

I know the entire tape in *.AVI terms will run to about 14 gig of HD space and I only have 10 gigs free I also know about the 4 gig limitation on my ME os so I'll have to split and join later.

I start the capture using spill system in VD, I stop the capture process after about 5 gig.

I Setup Virtualdub to resize the capture down to 352x288 and any other filters I want then set up frameserver with TMPGenc and use the PAL VCD template on that, push the button and after about 3 hours wind up with a Mpg file.

Now to capture the entire tape I do the same thing another 3 times, (deleting the old files to recover disk space) maybe 4 and wind up with about 3 mpg files of about 250 meg each, these I merge using TMPGenc and finally burn to CD.

Okay sorry for the length of the above - can the pro's tell me if the above is close to being correct or am I missing something.

I have tried direct mpeg capture using MSP6.5 but I don't think the ligos codec seems to be up to scratch - I certainly suffer frame loss using it where I dont with VD