VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Whenever I export 720x480 footage in Premiere Pro, the video file plays back in VLC at 720x528 (15:11) rather than 720x540 (4:3). The other option is to convert to square pixels at 640x480, but I eventually want to export to DVD. What is up with the strange aspect ratios?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Check the pixel aspect ratio (PAR) something got messed up there as 720x528 (square) = NTSC (anamorphic) scaled.
    Quote Quote  
  3. That is "normal" for ITU aspect ratios.

It's a big discussion, but the very short version is there are 2 different AR interpretations, ITU and non ITU. NTSC DV DAR is ~1.3636 (10:11 PAR), not 1.3333. All NLE's and broadcast use ITU interpretation

If you want a short explanation, read this (it's down right now, but it's archived on the Wayback Machine)
    http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/cmg_keyframes/story/par_for_the_course/

If you want a long explanation, there are several hundred page threads discussing aspect ratios in various forums...
    Quote Quote  
  4. If the end result is to be a DVD what do you care how it plays back at some intermediate stage? You won't have the problem once it's encoded as MPEG-2. Just make sure it comes out the other end as 720x480 and then encode as 4:3.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    If the end result is to be a DVD what do you care how it plays back at some intermediate stage? You won't have the problem once it's encoded as MPEG-2. Just make sure it comes out the other end as 720x480 and then encode as 4:3.
    I don't want there to be black bars.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Then you're in for a lifetime of frustration and disappointment. There is no way to display a 4:3 image on a 16:9 panel without black borders somewhere, or without distorting and/or cropping the image. Sorry. Nothing anyone can do about that.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Hypersonic1 View Post

I don't want there to be black bars.
    If it's a 4:3 movie there won't be black bars in the encode. If there are black bars when you watch it on a 16:9 TV, use the zoom control of your TV.

If you want to crop your movie to 16:9 (not recommended,) set up your Premiere project as 16:9 and do your cropping/panning/zooming there where you have more control.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I am talking about on a 4:3 display. Even if I do a slight crop, it is still not the same shape any more. Why is Premiere Pro forcing me to change the aspect ratio? The videos are 4:3 720x480, and outputting 15:11 720x480, which displays differently.
    Quote Quote  
  9. If it's a 4:3 movie there won't be black bars in the encode. If there are black bars when you watch it on a 16:9 TV, use the zoom control of your TV.
    It's not a 4:3, it's a 15:11 when I export, so there will be little black bars. I want to maintain 4:3.
    Quote Quote  
  10. https://wiki.videolan.org/Change_the_aspect_ratio/

You can force the aspect ratio in VLC.

Which version of Premiere are you using? I ask because they changed their interpretation of ITU many versions back.

You should have no problems with your "eventual" export to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Hypersonic1 View Post
    If it's a 4:3 movie there won't be black bars in the encode. If there are black bars when you watch it on a 16:9 TV, use the zoom control of your TV.
    It's not a 4:3, it's a 15:11 when I export, so there will be little black bars. I want to maintain 4:3.
    OK, so:
    4:3 = 1.333:1.
    15:11 = 1.36:1
    They are pretty close to the same thing. If the original image is really a 1.363636:1 image, then it's a movie filmed in the "classic" Hollywood aspect ratio of 1.37:1. That aspect ratio is slightly wider than 1:333:1 (Hollywood never made movies at 4:3 -- 4:3 was for TV only). Because the original image itself is slightly wider than 4:3, small black borders ('mini-letterbox") are in the displayed movie. If you change the image size of every movie you own, from square-frame 16mm silent movie to Todd_AO, you're going to spend a lot of time re-encoding to avoid any kind of black pixels.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I am using CS6. CC does not seem to have this problem. However, I was having flickering problems with CC when applying contrast controls like Luma Curve, not talking about auto controls.

I know how to change the aspect ratio in VLC. I just want to maintain the same aspect ratio when I export.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Originally Posted by Hypersonic1 View Post
    OK, so:
    4:3 = 1.333:1.
    15:11 = 1.36:1
    They are pretty close to the same thing. If the original image is really a 1.363636:1 image, then it's a movie filmed in the "classic" Hollywood aspect ratio of 1.37:1. That aspect ratio is slightly wider than 1:333:1 (Hollywood never made movies at 4:3 -- 4:3 was for TV only). Because the original image itself is slightly wider than 4:3, small black borders ('mini-letterbox") are in the displayed movie. If you change the image size of every movie you own, from square-frame 16mm silent movie to Todd_AO, you're going to spend a lot of time re-encoding to avoid any kind of black pixels.
    This is not Hollywood. This videos were recorded on VHS-C and 8mm.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Hypersonic1 View Post
    This is not Hollywood. This videos were recorded on VHS-C and 8mm.
    How did you import them into Premiere? As long as you are in a 720x480 project don't worry about what VLC is doing, don't worry about non-square pixels. Bring your timeline directly into Encore and make a 4:3 DVD. (Use the right-click/interpret footage function if you want to test different pixel ratios.) It will be fine.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    That's correct. Different editors and players will interpret un-encoded video in different ways. And remember, on a PC you're editing/viewing in square pixels. If you encode 720x480 DVD at 4:3 DAR, it should play as intended.

If your PC media player doesn't handle decoded video exactly right, you can force them and VirtualDub to display 4:3 (or whatever) in their user menus.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Crop 8 pixels off the left and right borders leaving a 704x480 frame. That's what the ITU spec is based on.

Code:
    DAR = FAR * SAR

DAR = Display Aspect Ratio
    FAR = Frame Aspect Ratio
    SAR = Sample Aspect Ratio

DAR = 704:480 * 10:11
    DAR = 704 / 480 * 10 / 11
    DAR = 1.333333...

DAR = 720:480 * 10:11
    DAR = 720 / 480 * 10 / 11
    DAR = 1.363636...
    Or leave the frame at 720x480 and set the DAR to 4:3 or SAR to 8:9. That's what most commercial DVDs do. Ie, they ignore the ITU spec and assume the MPEG 2 spec.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Crop 8 pixels off the left and right borders leaving a 704x480 frame. That's what the ITU spec is based on.
    That fixed it. However, I thought TVs were 720x480. I still don't understand this.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Hypersonic1 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Crop 8 pixels off the left and right borders leaving a 704x480 frame. That's what the ITU spec is based on.
    That fixed it. However, I thought TVs were 720x480. I still don't understand this.
    Nope. Standard Def analog NTSC TVs are ~320-800x525. Bet that makes it even more confusing. The 720x480 raster size is an accommodation to pre-existing NTSC standards and digital expediency.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!