VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Here's the problem, I have this model of camcorder:"Image
    [Attachment 67954 - Click to enlarge]

, it always played well any tape, but I received like 3 tapes and it's like this, showing in the video file i sent: The video is frame by frame and without sound.

Strange is from time to time, when I test this tape again, the video stabilizes and the sound too, but if I press any button, rew, ff, pause, stop etc, the problem returns.

I don't have another camcorder to make another test, I already changed the cassette tape.

Anyway, I've messed with almost everything and the tape only works when it wants to.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Litaiff; 5th Dec 2022 at 22:30.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Use Sclive software with firewire cable and report back.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Use Sclive software with firewire cable and report back.
    The video is not a conversion, I'm passing it directly to the TV or I can see it on the camera's own screen. The problem is the tape that doesn't seem to fit the camera model, the other tapes play normally, but this one tends to stay that way and only play normally when it wants to.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Try to clean the video heads, look up on how to do that. Though this is unlikely a head clog.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 3rd Dec 2022 at 07:53.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Try to clean the video heads, look up on how to do that. Though this is likely a head clog.

I thought so too, did a longer cleaning with the cleaning tape, but no results. Should I try another cleaning method? But I think it won't run normally on this camera, maybe on another model.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Litaiff View Post

The problem is the tape that doesn't seem to fit the camera model, the other tapes play normally, but this one tends to stay that way and only play normally when it wants to.
    If other tapes play well there's a different recording format on this tape, or the recording is made on a faulty device, is the exact (cam)recorder, the recording was made on, still available ?
    or… the mechanism of this cassette is damaged and you need to transfer the reels with tape into an other casing to have a smooth tape transport.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 3rd Dec 2022 at 10:42.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I thought so too, did a longer cleaning with the cleaning tape, but no results. Should I try another cleaning method? But I think it won't run normally on this camera, maybe on another model.
    Sorry I meant to say unlikely a head clog, But check the tape transport and make sure the pinch roller is in good condition, If the pinch roller is not pressing firmly against the tape the take up spindle will pull the tape faster and it would show fast video like you have shown, These devices are decades old don't expect them to work as they did back then without servicing or repair.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post

The problem is the tape that doesn't seem to fit the camera model, the other tapes play normally, but this one tends to stay that way and only play normally when it wants to.
    If other tapes play well there's a different recording format on this tape, or the recording is made on a faulty device, is the exact (cam)recorder, the recording was made on, still available ?
    or… the mechanism of this cassette is damaged and you need to transfer the reels with tape into an other casing to have a smooth tape transport.

I did and checked everything you said, and the original camera no longer exists.
    I put the reels in two different cases, but no solution either. There are times when I check the tape again and it runs normally but if I press any button, pause, rew, ff, stop, etc, the problem returns.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry I meant to say unlikely a head clog, But check the tape transport and make sure the pinch roller is in good condition, If the pinch roller is not pressing firmly against the tape the take up spindle will pull the tape faster and it would show fast video like you have shown, These devices are decades old don't expect them to work as they did back then without servicing or repair.
    I have dozens of other tapes of the same model, recorded on the same system, speed, etc. They run perfectly. But I will do what you said.
    This is the first tape I've received with this problem and the magnetic is fine but it only plays normally when it wants to.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Transfer that tape when it plays okay and get rid of it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Transfer that tape when it plays okay and get rid of it.

I left the equipment overnight, ready to receive the already rewound tape. During the morning, I again put it in the camcorder and voila, it ran normally! I finally converted it!

I think it has something to do with temperature, the camcorder was super relaxed at this point, in cooler weather in the morning.

There are 2 more tapes with the same problem. ):
    Quote Quote  
  12. Place the camera into the fridge for like 5 minutes if that's the case. If you have AC, place the camera underneath it. Actually the AC option might be better as fridges tend to cause moisture
    Quote Quote  
  13. I’ve recently transferred my old minidv tapes and fortunately had no problems with them not working. What I did notice though, was a few of the tapes left clumps of a dry black substance on the table. It was unlike the shed oxide that I’ve seen in vcr’s, so Im not sure what it was but I took this as a sign of the tapes degrading?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    Place the camera into the fridge for like 5 minutes if that's the case. If you have AC, place the camera underneath it. Actually the AC option might be better as fridges tend to cause moisture
    I would never put equipment in the fridge… the equipment needs to be on room temperature to have no condense.
    maybe recapping a camcorder ? never heard of it, looks difficult to me with such small components, maybe a fan next to it will keep things from overheating
    Quote Quote  
  15. Well putting a fan next to the camcorder is just a less effective putting camcorder next to/under AC unit.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Yesterday the temperature in my city was around 40 degrees, I tested the other two tapes with the same problem and it didn't work. It's a mystery, the other one was the same way and after several attempts, it only worked on a day that was cold around here. I thought about that, putting the camcorder, properly protected in a refrigerator, for about 15 minutes, just to do this test.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You will have MORE issues when moisture/condensation is added to the equation.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  18. 40 degrees Celsius?! Jesus Christ, you should definitely try putting the camcorder under an AC unit, no wonder it's working so bad
    Quote Quote  
  19. With that temperature a lot of moisture would be present on the camcorder if it were to be put into a fridge
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought about that, putting the camcorder, properly protected in a refrigerator, for about 15 minutes, just to do this test.
    The problem will be the moisture that forms on the camera after you pull it out of the fridge. It may be cool, but condensation could be significant when it's in the open air, regardless of whtehr it was in a bag in the fridge.

S-MP has the right idea, methinks: just cool it down with the aircon in the ambient air.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The question is, is this camcorder faulty or has the camcorder been faulty where the recording were made on ? is it still possible to make recordings ? it's very obvious some internal components have aged..
    things should be checked with another MiniDV recorder, to see which tapes are really at fault, because the errors are "baked" into the recording, or a "donor" camcorder should be used, and playback should be adjusted to the (faulty) recording.
    Quote Quote  
  22. If the poster did actually manage to transfer one faulty tape there is a good chance the only problem is a dying camcorder on 40°C
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Outside the temperature is really high, around 40 degrees, but in my room it's just stuffy, I think in here it's around 30 degrees.

I was thinking of let the camcorder cold, with a few minutes inside the fridge, but it seems not to be a good idea, seeing the answers here.

So, the only thing I found in common is the other tape with the same problem only playing normal when it was around 25 degrees here.

I know it would be a rule to have another camcorder to test or more, but for now I just have one.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    The question is, is this camcorder faulty or has the camcorder been faulty where the recording were made on ? is it still possible to make recordings ? it's very obvious some internal components have aged..
    things should be checked with another MiniDV recorder, to see which tapes are really at fault, because the errors are "baked" into the recording, or a "donor" camcorder should be used, and playback should be adjusted to the (faulty) recording.

I believe that the camcorder of origin must have recorded this tape in some way wrong or some type of defect in the tape. As I said, I have dozens of other tapes recorded on the same LP/SP system and they all play normally, and none of them were recorded on my camcorder, as they were from other people who left them here.
    Last edited by Litaiff; 6th Dec 2022 at 00:25.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    [Attachment 68228 - Click to enlarge]

I bought this camera model, and now the problematic tapes are playing normally on this model.

Does anyone know what this symbol means? It keeps flashing on screen. Image
    [Attachment 68229 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  26. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The internal memory battery is dead, If you are not recording you don't need it, it register the actual date to new recordings.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    The internal memory battery is dead, If you are not recording you don't need it, it register the actual date to new recordings.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote