VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all!

As the title says, I've got a Panasonic AG-1960 SVHS VCR. While testing a few captures, I noticed a large amount of rainbowing/chroma noise coming from the device, even using an SVideo connection, not composite. I have a AG-1970 and a JVC HR-S9500U that do not exhibit the degree of rainbowing.

I'm suspecting there's some faulty part inside the AG-1960 at this point.

Are there some parts that are more likely to create this kind of artifact than others? Wondering if its possible to narrow down the root cause at all to hopefully make an easy fix.

I've attached some samples, including a PNG and a video (MKV) of the recording.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rainbowing_example.png
Views:	37
Size:	482.7 KB
ID:	67258  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. For the PAL equivialent of this deck, capacitors inside the metal cans on the video board tend to go bad (+ capacitors on the small SVHS hybrid IC which cause issues with SVHS playback). Could be bad ones elsewhere too though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah I was wondering if it was a bad caps issue or something else. It really seems to only effect the chroma, as the luma is clean as a whistle.

So the current thought is that bad caps on the video board are what's causing the rainbowing?
    Quote Quote  
  4. That does seem likely yeah. Of course with a machine of this age it might be worth checking some of the power supply ones too just in case.
    Quote Quote