VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to follow this guide to add subtitles to my own DVD, but I need to actually create the titles somehow. In Subtitle Workshop when I open the Movie (from the DVD itself) the playback doesn't work on the last .vob file (which is where I want to put the subtitles). Should I rip the DVD to my harddrive and open it in Subtitle Workshop from there ? If so, which format ? It won't open the .m2v file created with DVD Shrink (per the guide below).
    Thanks.

https://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?guideid=598&howtoselect=6;34#598
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go ahead and copy the dvd to your hard drive. Then open the vob file with subtitle workshop and type your subtitles. After saving your subtitles demux your vob file and then remux with dvd lab pro if you are following the guide. or you could use muxman.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Is it normal that Subtitle Workshop has a background 'tick tick tick' noise when it is playing the video (.vob) files with audio ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    nope shouldn't be there.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I demuxed my dvd using decrypter and tried to open in Subtitle Workshop but the videos would fast forward.

I also tried to bring vob file directly into Subtitle Workshop but it wouldn't open.

Can you please show me the step-by-step guide to bring DVD files into computer - put subtitles - burn on DVD burner. I'm an amateur.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    do you have the subtitles ready, or are you going to make subtitles for it yourself?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I don't have subtitles. I have to put subtitles myself. DVD doesn't have any subtitles. I don't have to create subtitle menu where it has the option to turn it on or off.

I just need to put subtitles at the bottom of the screen for a DVD.

How should I do this on my computer?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

before i start i must tell you that i'm a newbie to the scene and my way might not be the best one

you will need:
    dvd shrink
    divxland subtitler
    dvd decrypter
    subtitle workshop
    muxman
    your favourite divx xvid compression software

1- if its a commercial dvd rip your dvd to your hard drive with dvd shrink and save it.

2-load your ripped dvd into a program that will convert it into divx or xvid(dr divx,fairuse wizard,autogk etc)

3- open your notepad, load your divx or xvid in to your media player

4- this bit its difficult to exxplain as english is not my native language, press play in your media player and everytime theres a sentence (dialogue)write it down in the notepad, never change paragraph except for writting new sentences (new dialogue), when you finish save it as txt.

5- open divxland subtitler and on the file menu load up your txt and your divx or xvid you created in step2, on your left side you will have all the dialogue lines and on the right your video, select"press and hold".

6- play your video in divxmediasubtitler
    and when the first line of dialogue appears on the video press and hold the button"Aplly" for the duration of that dialogue, and after that you have to do the same for the second line of dialogue and so on, when you finish save your subtile as srt subtitle

7- open subtitle workshop load your srt into it ans save it as sonic scenarist (sst)

8- demultiplex your original dvd using decrypter

9- open muxman load your video and audio strams dvd decrypter created,
    load your sst subtitle, select your destination directory and press start .

10-relax and wait

ricardo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    just for curiosity what film are you trying to translate and in which language?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank you so much for your reply. I really needed it.

I will try as you said. If I get stuck, I'll ask again. Can I?

By the way, what is ripping DVD? Can you please tell me the detail steps?

Does it mean just copying DVD onto the hard drive?

I'm translating some documentary narrations into Korean and trying to put that on the documentary.

I'm really trying to learn how to do this technical stuff.

I have editor Vegas. I first tried to convert the film into MPEG then AVI and edit in Vegas but someone advised me I don't have to convert the film to put subtitles.

I look forward to your reply again.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hi

Ripping means copying to your hardrive and to remove any copy protection mechanisms

Of course you can ask any stuff back.

good luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you need any help just send me a private message with your email and i will try to send you some pics of how i done it.
    Quote Quote