VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As if April's fools wasn't enough, now Memorex is releasing a new HD format on 5 1/4" floppy discs.

Utilizing a compression alogarithim previously unkown to technology, science and kindergarten children, Memorex has developed a compression scheme that compresses 45 HD movies onto one 5 1/4" floppy disc.

A company spokesperson said: " It's great. Now we just need to find consumers who own 5 1/4" floppy drives. Once we find these consumers we will sell lots, lots and lots. We think this could be a business."

Market and industry analyists say they are closely watching developments and may position themselves to buy, sell or remain neutral. Spokespersons for both Toshiba and Sony said that the technology is unproven, would take years to reach general consumer adoption and that the cost of media would prohibit market entry. Only time will tell.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The possibilities are mind boggling.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I read they are going to pull it off the market tomorrow, April 2nd
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by bendixG15
    I read they are going to pull it off the market tomorrow, April 2nd
    I hope they don't. The disk play great on my Atari 800XL.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  6. Toshiba and Sony??? I smell another format war brewin'. At least the cardboard covers will make it easy for the loser to recycle. Come to think of it, I may have a few boxes of 5 1/4 disks in the basement. Geez, maybe the wife and I could retire on what we make off selling the disks back to Memorex. They may even have the original Memorex labels on them already.

I wonder if the compression technology they are referring to is that sub-bit fractal compression algorithm that I heard rumours about. NASA and ILM have been working on it for several years, but its been very hush-hush and on the QT.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Date == MMVIII-IV-II
    Time == 03:10 GMT

Welcome back to the desert of the real.
    Quote Quote