VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/ada-lovelace-architecture/

"Graphics cards built upon the Ada architecture feature new eighth generation NVIDIA Encoders (NVENC) with AV1 encoding, enabling a raft of new possibilities for streamers, broadcasters, and video callers.

It’s 40% more efficient than H.264 and allows users who are streaming at 1080p to increase their stream resolution to 1440p while running at the same bitrate and quality."

Based on early tests of Intel's AV1 hardware encoder and Nvidia's claims here, it seems neither first gen hardware AV1 encoder is all that exciting.

Still, by this time next year, when low end "Ada Lovelace" based cards become available in the sub $150 range, it may be a fun little toy to pick up to play around with.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you know if/when ffmpeg will implement AV1HW encoding for the Nvidia/Amd cards, in say a static build ? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There all right, I wasn't looking in the right place. "av1_nvenc NVIDIA NVENC av1 encoder (codec av1)"
    Quote Quote  
  4. This is great news. I had no idea, I will have to look into this some more. I do hope FFMPEG and MPV picks it up though!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. I can use ffmpeg to do AV1 HW encoding for Nvidia, AMD and Intel.

An issue I noticed with AMD is that FHD encodes always output 1082 not 1080. UHD is ok. I will test this later again to see if it's been fixed with the latest AMD drivers and the latest ffmpeg build.

Not related to AV1 ... I noticed that with the latest build of ffmpeg my RQM VMAF syntax no longer works, issue with "Models". I see there is an ffmpeg dedicated forum so i'll post there later looking for help with it. Last build where it was ok was 7th-September.

Ok, it's ffmpegX so I'll post my query in the novice section.
    Last edited by JN-; 28th Nov 2023 at 09:43.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/ada-lovelace-architecture/

"Graphics cards built upon the Ada architecture feature new eighth generation NVIDIA Encoders (NVENC) with AV1 encoding, enabling a raft of new possibilities for streamers, broadcasters, and video callers.

It’s 40% more efficient than H.264 and allows users who are streaming at 1080p to increase their stream resolution to 1440p while running at the same bitrate and quality."

Based on early tests of Intel's AV1 hardware encoder and Nvidia's claims here, it seems neither first gen hardware AV1 encoder is all that exciting.

Still, by this time next year, when low end "Ada Lovelace" based cards become available in the sub $150 range, it may be a fun little toy to pick up to play around with.
    This sound cool! After testing the Q-Encoder + AV1 codec, which gave great quality, this could be the next step (Since the video with AV1 codec didnt really want to play in some web browsers built in video players)
    Last edited by Swedaniel; 28th Nov 2023 at 11:47.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is still 1082 output for fhd Av1 encoding using AMD.
    Quote Quote