VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Why is windows networking so shit, I am having a lot of problems just like a lot of others but im hoping someone knows of something that might help

I have 3 pc’s I am trying to network all have the same version of windows 10 and I have enabled and changed all the usual stuff for it to be connected to the network, I haven’t done anything complicated yet, pc1 is the main pc and one of the hard drives has all my files and programs on it, and all pcs will be in different rooms but there are side by side atm as I try and get it connected properly, pc1 is wired and pc2 will be wifi and pc3 will be wired

So pc1 is seeing pc2 and pc3 when they are connected without any trouble and I can change files and move things around, pc2 sometimes sees pc1, when it does and I restart/shutdown pc2, when It loads back up pc1 is then gone, so I generally have to restart pc1 for it to connect to pc2, refreshing each network doesn’t work, pc3 so far isn’t seeing pc1 at all, and im not really bothering about connecting pc2 or 3 just now, I cant keep restarting pc1 when I want to access the files, I also don’t want to keep taking the hard drive out of pc1 and putting it back in again, I just want to be able to have pc2 and 3 connected to 1 so I can access the files and other hard drives without having to keep restarting pc's and moving hard drives

Thanks in advance for any help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by adamf154 View Post
    Why is windows networking so shit, I am having a lot of problems just like a lot of others but im hoping someone knows of something that might help

I have 3 pc’s I am trying to network all have the same version of windows 10 and I have enabled and changed all the usual stuff for it to be connected to the network, I haven’t done anything complicated yet, pc1 is the main pc and one of the hard drives has all my files and programs on it, and all pcs will be in different rooms but there are side by side atm as I try and get it connected properly, pc1 is wired and pc2 will be wifi and pc3 will be wired

So pc1 is seeing pc2 and pc3 when they are connected without any trouble and I can change files and move things around, pc2 sometimes sees pc1, when it does and I restart/shutdown pc2, when It loads back up pc1 is then gone, so I generally have to restart pc1 for it to connect to pc2, refreshing each network doesn’t work, pc3 so far isn’t seeing pc1 at all, and im not really bothering about connecting pc2 or 3 just now, I cant keep restarting pc1 when I want to access the files, I also don’t want to keep taking the hard drive out of pc1 and putting it back in again, I just want to be able to have pc2 and 3 connected to 1 so I can access the files and other hard drives without having to keep restarting pc's and moving hard drives

are you using a crossover Ethernet cable ?? - https://www.usr.com/education/networking/how-do-i-connect-3-or-more-computers/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by adamf154 View Post
    Why is windows networking so shit, I am having a lot of problems just like a lot of others but im hoping someone knows of something that might help

are you using a crossover Ethernet cable ?? - https://www.usr.com/education/networking/how-do-i-connect-3-or-more-computers/
    i have no idea, the main pc is wired im not sure when or how i got the cable but i didnt know there was different kind of cables, but i have just bought two ethernet cables and ill be using one of them to connect pc3 to the router (im using a usb wifi stick atm) and ive just looked them up and it says they are patch cables
    Quote Quote  
  4. See if this helps, Goto services
    set both to automatic start and then start them

Function Discovery Provider Host
    Function Discovery Resource Publication
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by irondudetoo View Post
    See if this helps, Goto services
    set both to automatic start and then start them

Function Discovery Provider Host
    Function Discovery Resource Publication
    already done, i have looked up most pages on networking and most have the all the same things to try
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the PC you cannot see is named (for example) "desktop-adam",
    At the PC you are trying to reach it from, open the run box (Windows Key + R)
    and type the name in directly:
    \\desktop-adam
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	da1.png
Views:	23
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	66418  

Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    If the PC you cannot see is named (for example) "desktop-adam",
    At the PC you are trying to reach it from, open the run box (Windows Key + R)
    and type the name in directly:
    \\desktop-adam
    oh very good that worked perfectly, bit annoying though that you have to keep typing it into run if you close file explorer, but it works thats the main thing but i pinned it to start and i restarted pc and all you have to do is click on it and it works fine, pc2 can also see pc3 aswell, god you dont see something as easy as that, in the hundreds of pages on how to fix your network lol, thanks alot
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you can also create a shortcut on the desktop.
    Right click the desktop, new/shortcut
    In the location box, type the name as before (using the UNC notation)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Start by seeing if you can ping each other.

Make sure you are on the same subnet.
    Make sure you have allowed discovery of other machines, in each machine firewall.

Then make sure they are all part of the same workgroup or all part of the same domain.
    If part of a workgroup, it makes sense to make explicit the machine that is (consistenly) the workgroup listing/discovery server/host.

Once that's done, they should all be visible to each other, and you can create SMB or FTP shares.

Scott
    Quote Quote