VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all, I am borrowing a friends digital video camera. I do not have his cables or software. Just the charger and a usb cable. How can I transfer the video i take onto the PC? Do I have to do real time capture to get it off there? If so, I need firewire for that?

Is there no way to just grab the video file off the camera?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    USB is usually only for the jpeg pictures that are stored to the camera's DV tape. Most likely you will need a firewire cable, a firewire input on your computer and some sort of software like WinDV.
    WinDV is free. You may even have suitable software on your computer and not be aware of it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use Scenalyzer Live and a fire wire cable.

I haven't transfered with the 93 but I do with the JVC GR-DV800US and I do have the JVC GR-D93 ... came yesterday in the mail ... the postman brought it to my door.

The JVC GR-DV800US ... sits on my bed connected to my computer via firewire.
    Quote Quote  
  4. JVC-GR-D93 supports capturing via USB (USB streaming) but the quality sucks a big time. The JVC supplied software (bundled with the cam) is also quite crap.

What you need is:

a) A 1394/Firewire Card in your desktop
    b) A 4-pin to 6-pin 1394/Firewire cable
    c) Capturing software such as WinDV (free)

WinDV will transfer the DV footage from cam to PC in realtime as DV compliant AVI (13 GB per hour). After this you can do what you wish with the AVI.

Regards,
    *** My computer can beat me at chess, but is no match when it comes to kick-boxing. ***
    Quote Quote  
  5. I don't need to capture in realtime. In fact, I prefer not to. To get the video off the camera you have to sit and wait in realtime for it to capture?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes.
    Wait-yes
    Sit - not necessary
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pbhalerao
    WinDV will transfer the DV footage from cam to PC in realtime as DV compliant AVI (13 GB per hour). After this you can do what you wish with the AVI.
    Yes that is correct .... I transferred Fright Night II ... to my computer ... 2 Hour movie ... 26 Gigs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by pbhalerao View Post
    JVC-GR-D93 supports capturing via USB (USB streaming) but the quality sucks a big time. The JVC supplied software (bundled with the cam) is also quite crap.
    If you still have this crap software, could you share it? Or at least the USB driver for Windows. My Windows 7 could not find it, and JVC website does not show it. Thanks!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GR-D93-driver-install-attempt.png
Views:	38
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	64329  

Click image for larger version

Name:	GR-D93-driver-install-failure.png
Views:	34
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	64330  

Quote Quote  
  9. I googled around, found this link on Fixya: http://www.jvc.ru/files/software/gr-d53_d73_d93.zip Obviously, the link is dead, but after searching for the zip file name I found one here: https://devid.info/en/27235/JVC+PIX-MC10+Downloader+Driver In the zip file there are two EXE files. It is not very prudent to run EXE files you find on the Net, but really, who would be stashing viruses in such an obscure zip file? Filenames are:
    • UsbSTG4E.exe - USB Mass Storage Class Driver
    • UsbVSP.exe - USB Video Streaming Driver
    The first one supposedly is for 16-bit Windows only. I tried running it, and it reported "Windows 98 only".

The second one is a JVC proprietary driver for streaming video over USB. So... I tried it on Windows 7 64-bit and it did not work. Oops.

If any JVC DV camcorder owner comes across this thread, please post your solution for streaming over USB.

P.S. I haven't even tried connecting this camcorder to a Windows 10 machine.

P.P.S. The JVC document I found elsewhere states that one needs to install four software items in sequence, so maybe there is something missing here? IDK.

Name:	JVC-GR-D93-Device.png
Views:	38
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	64338  

Quote Quote  
  10. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Why do you want to try it, anyway? You don't believe him that the USB streaming quality "sucks big time"?
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Why do you want to try it, anyway? You don't believe him that the USB streaming quality "sucks big time"?
    Out of pure sportsmanship, I guess. Also, I cannot let my Panasonic to be the only working case of transferring DV over USB I tried these drivers on Win7 32-bit, and the streaming driver says "Not for XP". So they both for Win98? I guess I need to keep searching
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Reading through the various manuals, there is no reference to actual transfer of DV to usb for the camcorder.

Do you actual have one since that would explain why the driver does not work.

But back to the actual JVC, my take on the 'live streaming' which is mentioned in the manual as 'real time streaming' is that the camcorder does connect over usb and can then be used as a webcam.

As for the member who posted the report, do not hold your breath on getting a reply since he has been inactive for some two years.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Do you actual have one since that would explain why the driver does not work.
    Me having one would explain why the driver does not work? Interesting logic.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If you must insist on using USB instead of firewire get one of the Pinnacle firewire to USB boxes, their drivers are available for Win7 both 32bit and 64bit versions, But if firewire is available I don't see why the obsession over USB.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    The manual for the camcorder refers to another document for info on how to actually do USB transfer.An Archive.org user has shared an ISO image of the ImageMixer 1.7 software / USB driver install CD.

Confusingly, the necessary drivers are in the XP folder on the CD-ROM. The DRIVER folder contains those EXE files you already have, which as you found out are the Win98 versions of the drivers.

Once installed, you should have four "devices" in Device Manager:
    • [JVC PIX-MCV Video Capture] in [Imaging Devices]
    • [JVC PIX-MCV Audio Capture] in [Sound, video and game controllers]
    • [JVC Composite PIX-MCV Device] and [JVC Communication PIX-MCV Video Driver] in [UniversalSerial Bus Controllers]
    The PDF for the software describes the files you're going to get via USB as MPEG-1.

I've attached the drivers by themselves, if you want to try manually installing them without the software.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Brad; 16th Apr 2022 at 07:33.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well the manual does mention 'VCD' and this really is Mpeg-1

The digging up of these ancient topics comes over as a point-to-prove-exercise. Except that it was already 'proved' that usb is generally only appropiate for the transfer of still mages. Even the software that is mentioned quotes IMHO that it exists to transfer native DV via iEEE1394 which would suggest that it is a pure DV transfer >> many users of such a camcorder would have no idea of progs such as WinDV. Jeez. Back in the day I would use Ulead software to either transfer 'native' avi or transcode to mpeg2.

Consider yourself 'fortunate' that you have a method to transfer DV via usb. Without comparing a bit-for-bit tansfer of DV by usb against the same via IEEE1394 one can hardly tell.

PS. I did ask if you actually owned one of these JVC camcorders. Maybe I hit some wrong keys and my msg was 'lost in translation'
    Quote Quote  
  17. Brad, thanks a lot! I tried the drives in Win7 64-bit - did not work, Windows would not install from them, did not treat them as installable drivers. OK.

I have an old Win7 Home 32-bit netbook, it is slow as hell. I was able to install the drivers as JVC predicted, first having three misconfigured devices, and then I would install driver for each of them. Ultimately, all errors were resolved. See attached image.

My Win7 Home copy did not have Photo Gallery, which I used on my other machine to capture video from my Panasonic camcorder. Photo Gallery was a part of Microsoft Windows Live Essentials 2012, which is no longer offered or supported by MS. I found an offline installer on archive.org. I installed it, but it would not see the camcorder despite all the drivers. Bummer.

I decided to install ImageMager. I copied the files from the ISO into a subdirectory on an SD card and tried to install from it. No dice - the stupid software wants to be in a root directory. Ok, I cleaned up an SD card and put the install in the root.

The installer is a dog. ImageMaker is a dog too, I don't know what it checks when it starts. After it started, I clicked "import video", and it would never open. Tried running it in WinXP and Win2K compatibility modes, would not work.

Man, this sucks. So far, between JVC and Panasonic, Panasonic is the winner. I don't remember whether I had to install drivers for it manually, and it is recognized both by Photo Gallery and by Vegas through USB.

Taking a pause now

Name:	JVC GR-D93 Win7 32-bit drivers.png
Views:	65
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	64354  

Quote Quote  
  18. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Does the JVC Pixela device show up in regular video capture software like VirtualDub? It's using WDM drivers, so failing that, I would try GraphEdit / GraphStudioNext. But if you're never built a graph, it's not for the faint of heart.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Does the JVC Pixela device show up in regular video capture software like VirtualDub? It's using WDM drivers, so failing that, I would try GraphEdit / GraphStudioNext. But if you're never built a graph, it's not for the faint of heart.
    For some reason I haven't even thought of VirtualDub. It shows only one mode: 160x120 @ 15 fps, it is a joke. I expected full-blown DV. Maybe GraphEdit will show other modes, I'll explore this later. Thanks for the tip!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes, jvc didn't make minidv to computer over usb work at dv level. only panasonic made a usable minidv to computer over usb, and even panasonic's was known for frame dropping because usb2 was cpu controlled and vulnerable to any interrupts sent to the cpu.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    yes, jvc didn't make minidv to computer over usb work at dv level. only panasonic made a usable minidv to computer over usb, and even panasonic's was known for frame dropping because usb2 was cpu controlled and vulnerable to any interrupts sent to the cpu.
    How come USB is not usable for DV (25 Mbit/s), but is usable for uncompressed video, like the 2006 Dazzle DVC 100? It was designed for USB 2.0 High Speed mode, just like the Panasonic camcorder. BTW, no big problems with Panasonic - only 28 frames dropped out of more than 90000, this is just one second, and these frames were dropped at one spot, not like one here and two there.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Just checked - the D93 would not pass through Macrovision-protected video. Neither would the Canon Elura 100 - the Canon shows "copy protected" message onscreen.
    Quote Quote